Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 10:42 AM

362 posts, read 1,345,404 times

Advertisements

Today, the World Health Organization urged a GLOBAL smoking ban in enclosed public spaces, including workplaces, in order to limit people's exposure to dangerous and unhealthy second-hand smoke.

WHO urges smoking ban at work, public places | Health | Reuters

Awesome! I hope we'll see many more nations stepping up to protect the overall health and well-being of their citizens, the way many places in Europe and the U.S. (and a few others) already have. It's about time that this public health hazard is brought into the international spotlight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 11:10 AM

989 posts, read 2,761,881 times
Default I agree, good for the W.H.O.

And for folks who don't agree, that is fine to have that view as well. The WHO is an organization who's job is to provide the factual info on this stuff... The elected leaders are still the ones to decide if it will be law or not.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:11 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,878,282 times
What would this do to the American Tobacco Industry that exports most of everything they grow to the 3rd world countries?

Although I personally like the idea of having a smoke-out, tobacco is one of the very few items that ever leaves the country now. Most everything else we import.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
What would this do to the American Tobacco Industry that exports most of everything they grow to the 3rd world countries?

Although I personally like the idea of having a smoke-out, tobacco is one of the very few items that ever leaves the country now. Most everything else we import.
Hi Aksarben,

The WHO urged a global smoking ban in enclosed public spaces (like offices and restaurants), not an all-out global smoking ban against the sale/use of cigarettes.

As far as I know, indoor smoking bans (like the one recently imposed in Arizona) don't negatively affect the overall sale of cigarettes, because people aren't banned from smoking...just smoking indoors in public places.

Yes, no?

Old 05-29-2007, 10:46 PM

I understood the smoking ban but it will affect the industry never the less. I’d have to say most people smoke inside more then out, but I’ve never been out of the country so I can’t say for sure.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:46 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,633,993 times
Curiously, why don't all of you anti smoking people push HARD for making tobacco possesion and usage illegal? That way there are no needs for bans.... PERIOD. HUH?? Speak up...advocate to make this product ILLEGAL! Golly never thought of that huh? Why is that?

Old 05-29-2007, 10:54 PM

The government doesn’t want to make it illegal because they make too much in the tax money coming from it for one, and the second reason for not making it illegal is that they can’t control it easily thus it will be out there for a long time to come. Just too much money being made in the tobacco industry to shut it down.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
The government doesn’t want to make it illegal because they make too much in the tax money coming from it for one, and the second reason for not making it illegal is that they can’t control it easily thus it will be out there for a long time to come. Just too much money being made in the tobacco industry to shut it down.
Ahhh no kidding. I'm tasking all of you anti smokers to demand that your government (after all you people DO make up your government ...right? and you really REALLY do care soooo much about your fellow man and their health, oh and your's too...put down the Big Mac before someone starts going after that!) immediately from this day forward make the sale and possession of tobacco illegal. There...done deal, nuff said and problem friggin solved. Protest, carry banners, stop traffic in the street and call in al sharpton to really put some serious "weight" behind your cause! C'mon people talk is cheap...let's see some action!

Old 05-29-2007, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post
Curiously, why don't all of you anti smoking people push HARD for making tobacco possesion and usage illegal? That way there are no needs for bans.... PERIOD. HUH?? Speak up...advocate to make this product ILLEGAL! Golly never thought of that huh? Why is that?
Actually, many people have "thought of that" before, but it obviously can't/won't be done, for financial/economic reasons, among others. But, you were kidding, right? Or do you actually think that could possibly happen anytime soon (or not soon, even)?

Besides that, I'm not completely anti-smoking. I used to be a smoker, and I understand why people smoke, even though I now personally think that it's gross and ridiculously unhealthy. I would never try to push for legislation that takes peoples' freedom to smoke away from them completely, in the privacy of their own homes and automobiles, or in open outdoor areas.

I am, however, all for legislation that protects the overall health and well-being of all citizens (smokers and non-smokers alike) in enclosed public places. Non-smokers should be allowed to enjoy enclosed public places, without risking their health unnecessarily, due to second-hand smoke. I don't have a problem with people smoking, and risking their own health and well-being, as long as they don't force their unhealthy habit and it's inherent dangers upon me and my personal breathing space.

I'm not interested in debating this topic anymore, though. It's been debated again and again and again on this forum. I posted this thread because I thought it was interesting that the WHO is getting involved and urging the global community to adopt smoking bans in enclosed public areas and workplaces, as opposed to separate state/national governments doing so.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:27 PM

<snip> This country was founded and built on freedom...a rather odd dynamic to the rest of the world and to a scary amount of people here in the good ole USA. <snip> Frankly I'm ready to sponsor and support legislation to eliminate stupid, worthless American tax dollar sucking (yeah they would go bye bye without our...MY money) anti American organizations like these. <snip>

Last edited by jco; 05-30-2007 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: Personal attack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies