Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 10:49 AM

631 posts, read 1,290,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by + or - View Post
I also want to add, as someone who grew up among privileged white kids, that they are statistically more likely to abuse drugs and alcohol than inner city black kids. Why? Because they have the money and resources to purchase it. But of course, they rarely get caught.

So it appears as if blacks disproportionately engage in illegal substance abuse because they are six times more likely to be arrested and charged, but this is only because whites are far less likely to be searched.
And why do you think that is? They stay inside their homes in the suburbs. Living in a city means you're more likely to be out and about and get stopped by a cop, it has nothing to do with being white/black it's just a matter of where you live and where these crimes are being committed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 10:49 AM

54 posts, read 62,741 times
White privilege is one of the most ridiculous things i have ever heard. Privilege is based pretty much on how much money you make.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:53 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aejarak View Post
White privilege is one of the most ridiculous things i have ever heard. Privilege is based pretty much on how much money you make.
It is so ridiculous for people (especially White people) to say that White privilege doesn't exist when they are the recepients of the benefits of it.

Ask these same people of they would give up their "Whiteness" to live the rest of their lives as a Black man, an Asian man or a Hispanic man and they would all politely decline.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
It is so ridiculous for people (especially White people) to say that White privilege doesn't exist when they are the recepients of the benefits of it.

Ask these same people of they would give up their "Whiteness" to live the rest of their lives as a Black man, an Asian man or a Hispanic man and they would all politely decline.
What so I'm not allowed to be proud of my race now, either? Give me a break!

BTW not all cops/judges are white! Hell, our PRESIDENT IS BLACK!
give it a rest people

Old 02-09-2010, 10:57 AM

145 posts, read 184,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakland City View Post
The only people who believe there is no such thing as white privilege are

1. racists who feel the white man is under attack.
2. whites who do not want to lose their white privilege
3. uneducated people who have no understanding of American or European history
+1

Old 02-09-2010, 10:58 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA-Jsn20 View Post
What so I'm not allowed to be proud of my race now, either? Give me a break!

BTW not all cops/judges are white! Hell, our PRESIDENT IS BLACK!
give it a rest people
It has nothing to do with having "pride" in your race, it is about acknowledging that your race gives you an advantage.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
It has nothing to do with having "pride" in your race, it is about acknowledging that your race gives you an advantage.
Advantage how? The last 2 jobs I've applied to the interviewer has been black. Your argument holds no water.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:59 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,083,002 times
Quote:
Please tell me how a poor white kid from Appalachia has an advantage over a rich black kid from Beverly Hills.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:02 AM

145 posts, read 184,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA-Jsn20 View Post
And why do you think that is? They stay inside their homes in the suburbs. Living in a city means you're more likely to be out and about and get stopped by a cop, it has nothing to do with being white/black it's just a matter of where you live and where these crimes are being committed.
That's a dead faced lie, and I can prove it. Tim Wise, author of White Like Me, said in his book that he did a number of national seminars with police officers and asked them the first thing they think if they see a white kid in a nice car.

Their response? A rich kid who's daddy bought it for him.

Then, when asked what's the first thing they thought if they saw a black kid in a nice car and they answered, "drug dealer".

So, yes, it has EVERYTHING to do with being "white/black". I suppose that's why, at 24, I've been pulled over more times I can count. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that I've driven a new Lexus, BMW, or Infiniti since being 18.

Last edited by + or -; 02-09-2010 at 11:23 AM..

Old 02-09-2010, 11:03 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by + or - View Post
I also want to add, as someone who grew up among privileged white kids, that they are statistically more likely to abuse drugs and alcohol than inner city black kids. Why? Because they have the money and resources to purchase it. But of course, they rarely get caught.

So it appears as if blacks disproportionately engage in illegal substance abuse because they are six times more likely to be arrested and charged, but this is only because whites are far less likely to be searched.
Six times more likely? Do you have something to back up the claims you're making here?

Quote:

Please, tell me what all these benefits are that I am receiving. Is it preferred status for college admissions? Preference for work promotions??

I think you are confusing class warfare with race warfare.

This is a race baiting post, nothing more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies