Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 11:17 AM

145 posts, read 184,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA-Jsn20 View Post
Advantage how? The last 2 jobs I've applied to the interviewer has been black. Your argument holds no water.
And in nearly EVERY job I've applied for, the interviewer has been white. What's your point?

One in particular had an attitude from the moment I walked in and it was apparent had already made up her mind that I wasn't going to get the job no matter what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 11:21 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times
White privilege is when you can get pregnant at 17 like Bristol Palin and everyone is quick to insist that your life and that of your family is a personal matter. It would not have been that easy if it were a black or Hispanic person.

White privilege is when you can attend four different colleges in six years like Sarah Palin did, and people still think you are smart enough to hold office.

White privilege is being able to be a gun enthusiast and not make people scared of you.

3,219 posts, read 7,081,691 times
I shall repeat myself...it's called CLASS PRIVILEGE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Please tell me how a poor white kid from Appalachia has an advantage over a rich black kid from Beverly Hills.
He doesn't, generally. But then again, when they grow older, the poor kid from Appalachia and the black kid from Beverly Hills are not likely to be competing for the same jobs, the same bank loans, or trying to live in the same neighborhoods either.

The real question is, what advantage does a poor white kid from Appalachia have over a poor black kid from Appalachia? If you'd deny that privilege would be disproportionately afforded to the white kid (especially in that part of the country), I'd say you're just delusional.

By the way, the white Appalachian kid might have privilege over the black kid in certain situations. Say, the black kid just got back from a workout and was dressed poorly as he shopped on Rodeo Drive. While, the white kid, wanting to make an impression, wore a suit.

Who do you think salespeople in general would be more suspicious of?

Old 02-09-2010, 11:24 AM

631 posts, read 1,290,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by + or - View Post
He doesn't, generally. But then again, when they grow older the poor kid from Appalachia and the black kid from Beverly Hills are not likely to be competing for the same jobs, the same bank loans, or trying to live in the same neighborhoods either.

The real question is, what advantage does a poor white kid from Appalachia have over a poor black kid from Appalachia? If you'd deny that privilege would afforded to the white kid (especially in that part of the country), I'd say you're just delusional.

By the way, the white Appalachian kid might have privilege over the black kid in certain situations. Say, the black kid just got back from a workout and was dressed poorly as he shopped on Rodeo Drive. While, the white kid, wanting to make an impression, wore a suit.

Who do you think salespeople in general would be more suspicious of?

My guess is you've never even been to this part of the country.

You'd find more acceptance here than anywhere as there is the highest concentration of black people in the southeast. We actually HAVE race relations, unlike the rest of the country which is about 98% white

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_HD_unfqGw5...s400/black.jpg

Old 02-09-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA-Jsn20 View Post
And that book was written in 1976.

This is year 2010 - welcome to the 21st Century.
No, it wasn't. It was written in 2002. White Like Me - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And sorry, 2010 or not, the notion of a post-racial America is ludicrous.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:26 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakland City View Post
Black people are not the dominant group in America, nor have black people oppressed white people for 500 years making them feel inferior. LOL @ you calling anybody ignorant and you can't even understand basic sociology.
So black people are allowed to treat whites like crap because they are not the dominant group in america? Seriously, give it a rest because as a white male, engaged to a black female and who has two adopted black children, I can tell you some stories about how I have been attacked for simply being white and 'in the wrong neighborhood" with her.

Sociology means nothing from 500 years ago.. If you use what happened to your family 10 generations ago as an excuse for failure or as if this gives you permission to treat whites to 'get even", then you indeed need to re-examine your own failures and have no one else to blame but yourself.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:27 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times
Most white people have no idea of how many "perks" they have been given, just based on their skin color.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:28 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
I don't know about Vanity Fair, but the judges in this area seem to want to let all criminals out and let them try again. I have notice on the news that many have a lot of convictions until they commit something that cannot be ignored such as murder. If they had been confined for the lesser crime, maybe that life could have been spared. I don't know about the rest of you, but I am pretty tired of it.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:29 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by + or - View Post
And sorry, 2010 or not, the notion of a post-racial America is ludicrous.
Obviously a post-racial america is ludicrous, coming from someone who felt the need to start a thread in regards to white criminals going to jail, and then pretending they arent criminals as if to somehow use them as an example as to how white people get away with crimes.

THEY ARE GOING TO JAIL where they belong
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies