Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 11:45 AM

971 posts, read 1,294,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post
"Black voice"? What's a "Black Voice"?
Fast forward the clip to about 2:15 and listen. She puts on an increidbly sterotypically black accent (changes her wording, intonation, etc) and impersonates the imitates: "Oh Miss Sanfo', we gonna clean yo' dogs today."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 11:48 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
I'm socially liberal and these headlines are ridiculous. First of all, Jenny Sanford is not Southern. She is from the upper Midwest and is highly educated. She was an investment banker for 6 years in NYC in the 1980's no less, a time in which women were much more discriminated against in those jobs than they are now. She is a very tough woman to say the least so she is not some dumb Southern Belle house wife who lived off her husband aka Laura Bush. This is a very educated and strong woman. She was his campaign manager and is one of the reasons Mark Sanford even won the governorship.

Second, did any of you watch the interview? She was on a comedy show and the conversation was light hearted. She was trying to compliment the prisoners and acknowledged they were a great help. Stewart asked her about the prisoners implying it was scary to have them around and she wanted to set those fears aside by saying they were very helpful.

I have a lot of admiration for this woman. She didn't sell out like Hillary Clinton just so she could stay married to a powerful person. She wasn't fake and didn't stand by the podium. If you watched her interview on 20/20, you will learn that Jennie Sanford actually knew about Mark's cheating way before it was publicized and she gave him a chance. At that point, Mark had the audacity to ask Jenny if he could see his mistress "one last time" in New York. He kept writing her letters etc. What was Jenny supposed to do? It's not like she didn't give him a chance. Mark Sanford just wanted to be with his mistress so what was she supposed to do? If she stayed with him, she would be selling out and compromising her principles and faith.

I don't have any respect for women who lack self respect and stay with abusive people just because they are scared or are greedy and want the luxuries associated with being married to a powerful person. I'm glad she had the strength to leave him and raise her family as a single parent.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:49 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
Fast forward the clip to about 2:15 and listen. She puts on an increidbly sterotypically black accent (changes her wording, intonation, etc) and impersonates the imitates: "Oh Miss Sanfo', we gonna clean yo' dogs today."
I just listened to that piece, and your dictation is absolutely incorrect.

Disgusting how you clamor for the race card when it doesn't even exist.

Listen to that piece again and correct yourself, because you're wrong.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:49 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
This story is the perfect Liberal Soap Opera. It consists of a southern legislator's wife using presumably black inmates to do domestic tasks. It brings back memories of slavery and how bad white people really are.

But, please, don't rain on the Liberal Parade. They have nothing else to cling to since Barack Obama is a huge disappointment and Democrats are getting kicked to the curb in a few short months. The least you can do is have pity and show them some respect while they cry over (black) criminals.

(Wouldn't it be embarrassing to associate with this group of people? LOL)
it isn't left or right. I am on the left, but I know from personal experience that inmates are put to work everywhere, all the time. I was just pointing that out.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:54 AM

621 posts, read 1,054,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I just listened to that piece, and your dictation is absolutely incorrect.

Disgusting how you clamor for the race card when it doesn't even exist.

Listen to that piece again and correct yourself, beause you're wrong.
I agree

Old 02-09-2010, 11:57 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
The funny thing is most people on this thread don't realize that Jenny Sanford is a northern woman. She is not Southern. She is from an upscale part of Chicago. She went to Georgetown for undergrad. She worked in investment banking in NYC and not just any investment bank but Lazzard Frerres which is one of the most exclusive and difficult IB jobs to acquire. She is Catholic not Baptist. She is not a typical Southern Belle politician's wife who married rich. She is the reason Sanford became successful in politics because she was the brains behind his bid for congress in the early 1990's when Sanford had a shoestring budget and Jenny was his campaign manager. In fact, Jenny Sanford is probably more qualified than Mark Sanford to be the governor of South Carolina and when he married her, he was lucky as hell. Mark Sanford went to Furman University and was essentially a realtor. Jenny went to Georgetown and was an investment banker. She is about as far from being a Southern Belle as one could imagine. So if they are ripping on her with the hope that they are criticizing the South, it's not going to work in this case.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 02-09-2010 at 12:05 PM..

Old 02-09-2010, 12:09 PM

621 posts, read 1,054,004 times
The not so funny thing is how the posters display their own tendencies toward race prejudice by assuming the inmates she referred to were black.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:10 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I'm socially liberal and these headlines are ridiculous. First of all, Jenny Sanford is not Southern. She is from the upper Midwest and is highly educated. She was an investment banker for 6 years in NYC in the 1980's no less, a time in which women were much more discriminated against in those jobs than they are now. She is a very tough woman to say the least so she is not some dumb Southern Belle house wife who lived off her husband aka Laura Bush. This is a very educated and strong woman. She was his campaign manager and is one of the reasons Mark Sanford even won the governorship.

Second, did any of you watch the interview? She was on a comedy show and the conversation was light hearted. She was trying to compliment the prisoners and acknowledged they were a great help. Stewart asked her about the prisoners implying it was scary to have them around and she wanted to set those fears aside by saying they were very helpful.

I have a lot of admiration for this woman. She didn't sell out like Hillary Clinton just so she could stay married to a powerful person. She wasn't fake and didn't stand by the podium. If you watched her interview on 20/20, you will learn that Jennie Sanford actually knew about Mark's cheating way before it was publicized and she gave him a chance. At that point, Mark had the audacity to ask Jenny if he could see his mistress "one last time" in New York. He kept writing her letters etc. What was Jenny supposed to do? It's not like she didn't give him a chance. Mark Sanford just wanted to be with his mistress so what was she supposed to do? If she stayed with him, she would be selling out and compromising her principles and faith.

I don't have any respect for women who lack self respect and stay with abusive people just because they are scared or are greedy and want the luxuries associated with being married to a powerful person. I'm glad she had the strength to leave him and raise her family as a single parent.
Not to mention the fact that she is absolutely loaded with cash. Her family receives royalties from the Skilsaw brand. Good for her for dumping that cheating loser and not being a typical sell out political wife who stands by smiling, then forgives her husband a week later.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:11 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Not to mention the fact that she is absolutely loaded with cash. Her family receives royalties from the Skilsaw brand. Good for her for dumping that cheating loser and not being a typical sell out political wife who stands by smiling, then forgives her husband a week later.
Yep, she's the one that had the money.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:17 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Why do some feel it necessary to attempt gain attention, power, of money by merely "being offended"? It is not as though anyone has a right not to be offended. I think the people country really needs to grow some thicker skin and stop focusing on such pettiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies