Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2010, 10:16 AM

377 posts, read 326,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
All the ones that have enormous tax implications for business and individuals, like HC, C&T, EPA garbage, deficit spending, etc, etc, etc.
Obama's HC bill isn't law. The C&T isn't law.

The deficit has been with us since the Bush years.

So those policies/reasons can't be the cause of the economic malaise for small businesses.

I would attribute small business's problems to the worldwide recession. One of the main culprits there was the deregulation (and unenforced regulation) of the mortgage and investment fields permitting predatory mortgage loans to prosper which spread to every REIT on the planet like a virus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 10:29 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhorn View Post
Obama's HC bill isn't law. The C&T isn't law.

The deficit has been with us since the Bush years.

So those policies/reasons can't be the cause of the economic malaise for small businesses.

I would attribute small business's problems to the worldwide recession. One of the main culprits there was the deregulation (and unenforced regulation) of the mortgage and investment fields permitting predatory mortgage loans to prosper which spread to every REIT on the planet like a virus.
The potential/prospect/impending legislation that obama is trying to implement is causing the hesitation/anxiety/doubt in business and individuals.

Get it now?

This is what business has been saying for half a year.

Bush left a $450 Billion deficit - obama has tripled that and is slated to increase the deficit to $9 TRILLION in ten years.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:43 AM

39,860 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Obama has stated that he wants a tax credit for companies that hire "new employees". I'm curious about the effect that statement has had on the short term unemployement rate. I would think that any company that has seen demand for their product/service increase, and that is considering hiring additional workers, would now hold off until that credit was passed. Or that if a companie's situation was marginal, that they would now lay off so they could potentally rehire "new" emmployees and get this credit.

Business needs to make long term plans, develop products and processes, and make investments that might take a decade or more to repay. Yet congress makes decisions on a whim, with little forthought as to their effects. This makes it very difficult for any business to plan for the future, evalutate cash flow, etc. And when business has no sound basis to make decisions, they tend to do nothing, or do things that minimize that uncertainty, like move production to a more stable off-shore environment. Seems like a pretty simple concept, but one so hard for many to grasp.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
The potential/prospect/impending legislation that obama is trying to implement is causing the hesitation/anxiety/doubt in business and individuals.

Get it now?

This is what business has been saying for half a year.

Bush left a $450 Billion deficit - obama has tripled that and is slated to increase the deficit to $9 TRILLION in ten years.
I think the anxiety of small business america due to the prospect of Obama's proposed legislation is marginal next to invisible.

The total deficit for fiscal year 2009 was $1.42 trillion, a $960 billion increase from the 2008 deficit. The deficit is forecast to decline to $1.17 trillion in 2010 and $533 billion by 2013. wikipedia
2010 United States federal budget - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Obama has to cover all of Bush's economic chicanery--off budget wars, ruinous tax cuts.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
NOT if they don't have the demand for their products or services.

This is Business 101.
Not to be flippant, but no kidding.

Do you know the anticipated demand for every segment of business in America? No. But the employers do.

And as I pointed out, leveraged hiring happens every single day of the year in this country.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:36 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,685,741 times
Quote:
It happens all the time.

New businesses use loans to meet payroll while they build their book of business.
Poorly ran business model in my eyes. How many of those companies last past 10 years from inception.

Most successful enterprises are started from the ground up and build their way to a point of expansion and growth.

Growing a business too fast, including borrowing to grow it, almost certainly ensures failure in the long term.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Poorly ran business model in my eyes. How many of those companies last past 10 years from inception.

Most successful enterprises are started from the ground up and build their way to a point of expansion and growth.

Growing a business too fast, including borrowing to grow it, almost certainly ensures failure in the long term.
How else is a start-up company to meet payroll than to borrow the money?

Leveraged hiring is an elementary fact of business life in america.

It's how business starts.

As to the wisdom of established companies engaging in leveraged hires, I have no opinion.

The point is is that it was claimed that leveraged hiring NEVER happens when it's a commonality in the real business world.

Anyone with experience in the business world knows this incontrovertible fact and Obama's statement was true.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:43 AM

4,814 posts, read 3,842,361 times
Quote:
Obama hijacked the Gibbs press briefing today - and said the most astounding things, one of which is below.

This absolute cements in my mind that obama and his team (who collectively have NO business experience), are completely clueless when it comes to why/how/when a business expands their payrolls.

Does he really believe a well run business will borrow money to "boost their payrolls"?

And they also won't borrow to boost their inventory UNLESS demand is there.

Demand AND profits will boost the payroll.

I am stunned at the level of ignorance from this guy.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:48 AM

39,860 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Businesses borrow money to hire people. It's called leveraged hiring. It happens every day all across the country.
No, businesses hire people when there is a demand for their product or service that requires an increase in manpower to meet. Borrowing is one tool that at times can help facilitate this.

Obama's statement was (to paraphrase) that because a company is making profit, if they can borrow money they would then go out and hire. He has cause and effect backwards, or actually misses the cause. Businesses hires because of demand.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:50 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,685,741 times
Quote:
How else is a start-up company to meet payroll than to borrow the money?
If the company can't meet payroll, then either they need to find somebody else in their accounts recievable department or there is no demand in the market. You can't grow something by throwing money at it... common liberal non-sense.

You grow a business by ensuring that the demand for products and services are there and grow with the demand... at which time you boost and make payroll as the market allows.

Quote:
Leveraged hiring is an elementary fact of business life in america.
And if the demand is available, the ability to leverage should be there. The market determines what level of payroll is "leveraged"... not you or president Obama or anybody else.

Quote:
It's how business starts.
Actually, no. Most new start-ups are either financed wholey by an individual, group of partners, or investors... all from their own private abilities to obtain financing. Most banks, especially in this economic condition, aren't going to loan squat to Joe who wants to open a type-writer repair business.

Quote:
As to the wisdom of established companies engaging in leveraged hires, I have no opinion.
This happens much more often than it would in a small business, but I still don't see a whole lot of borrowing to leverage experienced people.

Quote:
The point is is that it was claimed that leveraged hiring NEVER happens when it's a commonality in the real business world.
No, the argument was that you don't borrow money to do so. Obama encourages banks to lend to small businesses so that they can boost payroll. So these business are going to go into debt with high payroll making a product that can't sell? Awesome plan.

Quote:
Anyone with experience in the business world knows this incontrovertible fact and Obama's statement was true.
Hmmm.. Funny, I own a small business and partner in another. What do I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies