Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What will you do if your child turns out gay/lesbian or transgender
completly disown the child 5 4.63%
completly disown the child until he/she lives a straight lifestyle 1 0.93%
not approve but dont disown the child 7 6.48%
love the child, but dont wish to know of their lifestyle 4 3.70%
accept the child as who they are 91 84.26%
other 0 0%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 07:26 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Because all gay people should know karate? Tell me you don't believe that martial arts is a cure to 'the gay'?
I think he was probably saying that gays should know martial arts because they're a target for physical attacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 07:57 PM

170 posts, read 399,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Gay brains are hard-wired at birth - life - 18 June 2008 - New Scientist

And here's a source that even the most conservative of bigots should accept.

Sexuality 'hard-wired' before birth?

You "being gay is a choice" people really need to become better educated. Your ignorance and bias is hanging out for all the world to see.
It has been stated over and over again that the brain scan differences is probably due to the gay LIFESTYLE.

Brain Study Shows Differences Between Gays, Straights - washingtonpost.com

"But such research is fraught with uncertainty, and it could not rule out that the findings were the result of changes that occurred in response to experiences and behaviors, rather than being inborn."

Did you not see the word MAY in the UCLA study? All inconclusive.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:00 PM

170 posts, read 399,238 times
All inconclusive.

A Critique of the Brain-Sex Theory of Transsexualism

Look at my post above. It is the consensus among the scientific community that the differences in brain scans between homosexuals and heterosexuals may be due to gay lifestyle itself.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipMC View Post
It has been stated over and over again that the brain scan differences is probably due to the gay LIFESTYLE.
Probably? Where did the article say "probably"? It said it can't rule out that the findings were the results of changes that occurred in response to experiences and behavior; that's quite different from saying "probably".

Old 02-10-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipMC View Post
It is the consensus among the scientific community that the differences in brain scans between homosexuals and heterosexuals may be due to gay lifestyle itself.
There's not a consensus at all. As you rightly said earlier, the findings are inconclusive. That would mean it's the opposite of a consensus.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:33 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,975,456 times
I read the same thing...that specifically in LeVay's research, the differences in the homosexual brains and the heterosexual brains could have been attributed to the testosterone decrease in its homosexual subjects. Allegedly all 19 of the homosexual subjects died of AIDS which affects some sort of testosterone production...IDK...Just something I had read.

Basically, as another poster stated the differences in brain structures could have been attributed to complications from AIDS...keywords: "could have"

Old 02-10-2010, 09:18 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,984,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Oh that is a bunch of BS. Of course you would love your daughter the same. However, you would not be pleased, as that path would be very difficult and make the life of your child alot more rocky. Tell me you would like to have your child experience the difficulties associated with that lifestyle.
I have heard from parents that have a homosexual child have marched with the child at gay pride events and are active members of PFLAG. In addition some of the biggest groups calling for gay marriage is the parents of gays and lesbians, such as PFLAG. Some parents have also stated that their lives have been better, and stated that they refer their child to be homosexual than straight as they have seen more positive changes in the child since comming out than if the child was in denial of their sexuality.

If the child was living in denial and trying to be straight then they are not happy, and in many cases they try to commit suicide because of it.

Last edited by other99; 02-10-2010 at 09:23 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 02-10-2010, 09:19 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I partially agree. The part I don't necessarily agree with is the deviant part. I am not going to say why because then I will get bombarded by (supposedly) open-minded people calling me a "bigot."

What you need to keep in mind is that the absolute flaming, in-your-face gay people that the news covers are not representative of the gay population.

In fact, most of the gay people I know, and I know quite a few, are disgusted and appalled by them, both for their behavior and the impact it has on the fight for equal rights.

Most of the gay people I know, one would never know that they are gay. It's not that they try and hide it, it's just a normal part of who they are. The neither feel the need to hide or flaunt it.

Also of note is that every single one of them, to a person, has said they were born that way. Every single one. From the earliest they can remember, they never had any real attraction to the opposite sex. And I worked at a Starbucks in the gay area of town for a year (which was also the best one I worked at with the most pleasant clientele). I met a lot of gay people, and being one of the few straight people around, we had some interesting and candid conversations.

Any gay people feel free to correct me if they think I am wrong, but it seems that most gay people can no more help their sexual orientation than I can help the fact that I prefer blondes over redheads. And none of them are in any way, shape, or form, "deviant". The only difference between them and you or me is that we are attracted to the opposite sex and they are attracted to the same sex.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:20 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
In my view by the time one's children become adult, they should move out regardless of being straight, homosexual, bisexual, etc. I just kick their butts out of my house to give them the opportunity to learn how to take care of themselves.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Any gay people feel free to correct me if they think I am wrong, but it seems that most gay people can no more help their sexual orientation than I can help the fact that I prefer blondes over redheads.
You are correct. From a recent story about the challenge to Prop. 8 in California:

"... 95 percent of the self-identified gay men in a study he conducted, and 80 to 90 percent of the lesbians, believed they had little or no choice in their sexual orientation."

Sexual orientation not a choice, expert says - SFGate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies