Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2010, 04:50 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
You'd rather we let these greedy bast**** get away with it? I don't care if it was one out of a million. It's still one too many!
Yes, the repugs would rather insurance companies screw over and actually kill Americans for profit.....

as long as it isn't them.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 04:56 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
The sad fact that exists today is that our current system wastes $210 billion/year just in ER, but a five year old doesn't deserve the chance that might make him and his family feel better because it is just "experimental treatment".

BTW, how do these insurance companies come up with the idea that they can overrule a doctor's advice with the statement that it is merely "experimental"? Are the middle men that much more qualified than a physician involved with the treatment?

Old 02-10-2010, 05:06 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
The sad fact that exists today is that our current system wastes $210 billion/year just in ER, but a five year old doesn't deserve the chance that might make him and his family feel better because it is just "experimental treatment".

BTW, how do these insurance companies come up with the idea that they can overrule a doctor's advice with the statement that it is merely "experimental"? Are the middle men that much more qualified than a physician involved with the treatment?
Insurance Company = Death Panel

Old 02-10-2010, 05:09 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post

I guess it is a classic example of insurance companies getting between you and you doctor.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:23 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
This is a very sad case and I certainly hope this young man receives the experimental treatment. At the same time, this case is not so cut and dry. The MIBG treatment is not the standard of care. I don't see how any physician can claim a non-FDA approved medication and a medication that lacks peer reviewed evidence is the standard of care. People think the FDA is a villain but it's there to protect you and I. They have nothing to gain by failing to approve of a drug. It's funny because the anti-FDA conspiracy theorists bash the FDA for approving medications like Viox yet when they are doing their job and not approving a drug like MIBG without good studies, they are suddenly the bad guy. Make up your mind!

And it pains me to say this but the insurance company is within it's right. Why shouldn't money be a factor? If it costs 110,000 for two rounds of a therapy that isn't even proven to work then why can't they make a decision based on that? It's one thing if a procedure costs 10,000 but an extra 100,000 is a lot of money.

And I have many examples of the government (Medicaid) rationing and not providing treatment based on money that only private insurance pays for. I know the government wouldn't have paid for this either.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
This is a very sad case and I certainly hope this young man receives the experimental treatment. At the same time, this case is not so cut and dry. The MIBG treatment is not the standard of care. I don't see how any physician can claim a non-FDA approved medication and a medication that lacks peer reviewed evidence is the standard of care. People think the FDA is a villain but it's there to protect you and I. They have nothing to gain by failing to approve of a drug. It's funny because the anti-FDA conspiracy theorists bash the FDA for approving medications like Viox yet when they are doing their job and not approving a drug like MIBG without good studies, they are suddenly the bad guy. Make up your mind!

And it pains me to say this but the insurance company is within it's right. Why shouldn't money be a factor? If it costs 110,000 for two rounds of a therapy that isn't even proven to work then why can't they make a decision based on that? It's one thing if a procedure costs 10,000 but an extra 100,000 is a lot of money.

And I have many examples of the government (Medicaid) rationing and not providing treatment based on money. I know the government wouldn't have paid for this either.
Ya, $100,000.00 IS a lot of money...and some insurance CEOs make more than that in one day.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:34 PM

Here's a real story about a real death panel....the couple both had jobs and insurance and are responsible people.

Froma Harrop: Private insurers’ death panels | Columnists | projo.com | The Providence Journal

Old 02-10-2010, 05:45 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Here's a real story about a real death panel....the couple both had jobs and insurance and are responsible people.

Froma Harrop: Private insurers’ death panels | Columnists | projo.com | The Providence Journal
A quote from you link:

Quote:
An economic note: In 2006, William “Dollar Bill” McGuire, CEO of parent-company UnitedHealth Group, walked off with a $1.1 billion golden parachute (on top of the $500 million he had already raked in) — though he had to return some of it in an options-backdating scandal.
In my opinion, denying life saving claims to enrich a CEO is murder in the first degree for the intent of robbery!

Old 02-10-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
A quote from you link:

In my opinion, denying life saving claims to enrich a CEO is murder in the first degree for the intent of robbery!
Yes , but the Repugs who Worship the Wealthy as their new "god' have been brainwashed to defend and protect these slaughterhouse kings, the legal Mafia...they will fight any reform so the U.S. can be on equal footing with all the other industrialized nations...they prefer Third World status....one day it will be them...and then and only then will they see the light...I hope it's too late for them.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:44 PM

621 posts, read 1,053,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Think Progress » Insurer Denies Life-Prolonging Treatment To Five-Year-Old Boy With Cancer

I bet if we left this boy to the "free market," he'd be dead.
Experimental treatments would not be covered under the proposed health care bill as written. They allow a review periodically, but he would have been denied for this as well until some future date of review. This review can be requested currently with your insurance company as it stands.

There are private cancer treatment centers that do allow experimental treatments and they are funded mostly by donations.

St Jude's is a Children's hospital (not for experimental therapy per se), but are there to handle any child regardless of ability to pay. There are other centers and opportunities for children like this.

Many people believe that because the government would be in charge that risky and experimental treatments will open like a flood gate, but there is nothing that would indicate this will happen.

I'm worried that homeopathic medicines may not be allowed or covered as I cannot find specific language pertaining to this and a portion of the advice for "proper" treatment will be from big Pharma... blech.

Last edited by Robinstyler; 02-10-2010 at 06:55 PM.. Reason: spelling corrections
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies