Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Obama meet Dalai Lama ?
YES, FORMALLY 22 73.33%
YES,INFORMALLY 3 10.00%
NO 5 16.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 08:51 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,486,932 times

Advertisements

U may vote too...

Personally,despite my empathy to the Tibet people & their leader & my concern for their rights,since DL is not a recognised President ,he should not have a meeting with the USA president...

Maybe only with Secretary of State,or better yet,the Undersecretary of State...

Protocol based on reason is beneficial for all & consists good diplomacy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 08:54 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,898,300 times
Has Obama met with The Pope?

Does he meet with other religious leaders? Or is he seen with other religious leaders?

If the answer is yes then I don't see what the problem is ALTHOUGH I will say that he might think he can meet with the Dalai Lama but I'm pretty sure China will have other ideas.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:59 AM

The pressure from China is a serious factor to be taken into consideration...

Personally,I believe that the USA Pres should not meet with non -elected officials...

Pope,kings,emperors etc...

We have a Republic,we are not a church,or a kingdom or an empire...

The VP is perfect for such meetings...

Either we follow the democratic principle or the selfish "whoever we like we meet " principle...

Old 02-14-2010, 09:06 AM

Yes, yes, they tried to bully our leaders into not meeting with him too.

I'd have thought that for that fact alone he's a must meet.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:06 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,116,366 times
I don't care about the religious vs. non-religious aspect of who the President meets. What I DO care about is that the United States should be able to meet with anyone it wants at any time or any place it wants. The fact that we are beholden to another nation to the point that it effects what we do on such a menial basis is more than disturbing, its outright dangerous.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:07 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,981,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Has Obama met with The Pope?

Does he meet with other religious leaders? Or is he seen with other religious leaders?

If the answer is yes then I don't see what the problem is ALTHOUGH I will say that he might think he can meet with the Dalai Lama but I'm pretty sure China will have other ideas.

If US presidents have met the pope then I see it no problem meeting the Dalai Lama. Anyway the Chinese government does not recognise the vatican and demands its catholic churches in China to remain independant from the Pope.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:13 AM

Well done for the Chinese,we should do the same in USA too...

The Catholic priests in USA are actually agents of a foreign regime,they belong to the Vatican,not to USA...

U miss my point. Either we follow principles,or ...anything goes...

Old 02-14-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I don't care about the religious vs. non-religious aspect of who the President meets. What I DO care about is that the United States should be able to meet with anyone it wants at any time or any place it wants. The fact that we are beholden to another nation to the point that it effects what we do on such a menial basis is more than disturbing, its outright dangerous.
Yeah, I hear ya AeroGuy. It grinds my gears fiercely the attempts at bullying and intimidation and useless threats we've had here from the Chinese because things aren't going how they want.

I'd be very disappointed in America if Obama didn't meet with the Dalai Lama purely because China shouldn't be able to dictate this stuff to ANYONE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post

If US presidents have met the pope then I see it no problem meeting the Dalai Lama. Anyway the Chinese government does not recognise the vatican and demands its catholic churches in China to remain independant of the Pope.
The Chinese Government is like a spoilt brat. I tire of them and their tactics.

I thought I'd seen somewhere that Obama had met with the Pope though, thanks for finding the pics other.

The Chinese Government is having a hard time even recognizing Google. They really struggle with the idea of freedom of speech amongst other things.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
Well done for the Chinese,we should do the same in USA too...

The Catholic priests in USA are actually agents of a foreign regime,they belong to the Vatican,not to USA...

U miss my point. Either we follow principles,or ...anything goes...
Yes, well done to the Chinese.

They're such an exemplary example of how to be world citizens.

You'll get no support for them out of me harry and I'm not even religious, but if I had to choose China vs a religious leader I'm going with the evil religious leader. At least they have some relevence in the USA today. China is a far bigger threat to freedom of speech and indoctrination than any world religious leader will ever be AND quite apart from that you'll find far more American citizens with a religious affiliation to The Pope and The Dalai Lama than you'll ever find have an affiliation with the Chinese Government.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:22 AM

Well,China is a complicated issue,better try to find out what we may have as common ground than what makes as adversaries...

P.S Guys,don't forget to vote,poll close on Feb 18,when Obama...meets DL...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies