Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe people on Welfare should be made to work for the Community they reside?
Yes. Please explain what type of work below...ideas 45 81.82%
No. Please explain why 4 7.27%
Not Sure... Explain 6 10.91%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 09:25 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times

Advertisements

There should not be any force entitlement programs in a free choice society. Liberty, should not be forced to do anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 09:41 PM

622 posts, read 1,665,844 times
People receiving welfare should at least be drug tested.

Also, fwiw, I know a few people who receive unemployment who ARE actually working, but just getting paid under the table so they dont have to report it and give up their unemployment benefits... Thats really frustrating to hear, since we pay thousands of dollars each month in unemployment taxes as a small business.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:52 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,504,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post
Do you believe people on Welfare should be made to work for the Community they reside?
I believe they should only be allowed so much time on Welfare (1 year lifetime maximum for example). I don't believe that "making them work", by means of finding them a job, is quite the answer either. They need to find a job on their own. The lifetime limit for benefits offers a hard lined incentive to get working.

(ultimately I would like to see NO welfare entitlement programs, however, I believe my idea offers a realistic alternative)

Old 02-10-2010, 09:58 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
And who will pay for the drug tests?

If you know people doing such things, report them. UE investigates those types of reports regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaMaria View Post
People receiving welfare should at least be drug tested.

Also, fwiw, I know a few people who receive unemployment who ARE actually working, but just getting paid under the table so they dont have to report it and give up their unemployment benefits... Thats really frustrating to hear, since we pay thousands of dollars each month in unemployment taxes as a small business.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:27 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,222,412 times
1st -when exactly would they have time to look for work??...

2nd- you people crack me up..like unemployment is optional...lmao..I've come across executives - managers with mba's all on benefits struggling to stay afloat...

Old 02-10-2010, 11:52 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Poster is asking you to be more specific.

In this economy, what jobs would people be doing, exactly? Jobs are pretty scarce nowadays.

Would welfare be their payment?

Would that, in turn, take away paying jobs from employed people?

Exactly, thanks for you getting more clear on this. Jobs are very few and hard to come by these days, even for the very skilled. And what jobs would people be doing. Just trying to understand here. So many are on Welfare as it stands now. Where would these jobs come from for the people.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:12 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,985,065 times
Depends on what type of welfare they are on. Well if they have a chronic illness that prevents them to work then they should not be made to work. I dont think mothers should be compelled to work either, esp if they have very young children, even if they are single mothers. However there should be programs to encourage single mothers with older children to work, however they should not be forced. Even though they dont have a father they still need to be supervised, and without children adequately supervised then they are in danger of turning out to be serious or compulsive delinquents.

I dont think carers of people for frail or ill heath people should be forced to work either.

Last edited by other99; 02-11-2010 at 01:15 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 02-11-2010, 03:17 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
You are about 15 years behind the curve on this question.
Yes. Goes to the mindless durability of the right-wing stereotype of welfare recipients as lazy bums who are somehow able to lounge around all day at their expense. TANF has work requirements, food stamps and WIC have work requiremnts, obviously the EITC has work requirements. About the only programs that don't have a work requirement are those programs designed for people who are unable to work to begin with. Still, right-wingers are able to imagine thet there is some free-flatscreen-plasma-TV-in-every-room-of-your-free-house program out there somewhere, and they're mad as he!! about it.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:26 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Some kind of community where their needs are meet, in exchange for work. If they are unable to work for mental, or health reasons, thats fine, doctors can excuse them. Everyone else on government assistance has to work for their food and shelter.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:33 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Yes, they should be forced to work. I recommend chain gangs and concentration camps.

I'm not being serious, actually. I voted no. I've known people who are working full-time and are on welfare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies