Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support food stamp programs?
Yes 64 79.01%
No 17 20.99%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 06:04 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,838,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Sorry, but lunch meat is full of nutrients, and its not fillet mignon. You can guy a cheaper cut of steak, that has less flavor but has just as many nutrients as the good cuts.

No one is suggesting people have to eat bologna all the time, or cheap walmart premade burgers. Pork chops, grilled, are quite good for you. As well as other cheaper meats. Veggies can be bought for 50 cents a can at Wal-mart, and in season fruit isn't that much. It might not be what you want to eat, but its good for you, and it'll keep you going.

Remember, "Beggers, can't be choosers"
Although veggies in a can are better than potato chips, they are very good at promoting high blood pressure and heart disease. Fresh fruit and veggies are best, but significantly more expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 06:06 AM

24,382 posts, read 23,021,887 times
It gets abused so they should do something to put more safe guards into the system. But if people need help, there should be something available. But anybody caught abusing it needs to be prosecuted and removed from it.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:28 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,249,840 times
Default Yes..

Yes, where it can be proved that the people need it. I would not allow the recepient to prove it, it's like the fox watching the hen house. There are people needing and truly deserving of it. Illegals are not deserving of it, however.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:20 AM

716 posts, read 1,118,847 times
I support it, but like other people said, it shouldn't cover expensive cuts of meat. You can get 20 oz. of sirloin for the price of one filet mignon, and feed more people. The only expensive health food is fresh produce. Other than that, lean meat, brown rice and oatmeal are pretty cheap.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:25 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,982,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ah yes of course View Post
Why? If they want to buy Fillet Mignon, let them. Better than buying a bunch of grease-filled pork chops.

Keep in mind that the healthiest foods cost the most amount of money.
As mentioned you can cheaper meat with same nutritional value. I don't buy Fillet Mignon that often BECAUSE I CAN'T AFFORD IT.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:33 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,551,627 times
^ why not? aren't the most expensive cuts of meats also the healthier ones? If I were on food stamps I wouldn't buy brown rice & oatmeal to me its grotesque! It's bad enough that somebody is in such hardship financially that they need government assistance but then to dictate to them what they can or can not buy to eat?
By the way just because you can't afford a filet mignon you are going to begrudge a food stamp recipient because they can? This type of attitude reeks of jealousy and I assure you that most people on food stamps aren't getting a lot of money to be dining on filet mignon every night.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:46 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,670,324 times
Once in my 65 years for a period of 3 months, I recieved Food Stamps and some assistance with Heat. I know I was desperate and feel badly for anyone else in that situation.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:51 AM

716 posts, read 1,118,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
^ why not? aren't the most expensive cuts of meats also the healthier ones? If I were on food stamps I wouldn't buy brown rice & oatmeal to me its grotesque! It's bad enough that somebody is in such hardship financially that they need government assistance but then to dictate to them what they can or can not buy to eat?
By the way just because you can't afford a filet mignon you are going to begrudge a food stamp recipient because they can? This type of attitude reeks of jealousy and I assure you that most people on food stamps aren't getting a lot of money to be dining on filet mignon every night.

I disagree. Filet Mignon is leaner than ribeye or T-bone, but so is sirloin or other lean meats, like chicken. Filets are also cut in small portions, like 8 oz., so they don't really have a lot of bang for the buck. I just think there should be certain limits on what you can and can't get. I eat a lot of oatmeal because it's healthy and I like it, so I didn't see it as a negative. I wrote that because people said healthy food is expensive, but lots of healthy foods are cheap if you know what to get.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:55 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,551,627 times
^ ok thanks for the clarification since I usually don't eat red meat anyways! Yes I know oatmeal is healthy but it just tastes like cardboard to me!

Old 02-11-2010, 07:57 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,285,062 times
I think it's ok, but it needs to be severely restricted. It is insanely abused, and those people are ruining it for the people who really need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies