Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 05:47 PM

4,573 posts, read 7,481,384 times

Advertisements

Boy, 12, faces grown up murder charges - CNN.com

Quote:
12-year-old Jordan Brown has been charged with murdering his father's fiancé, who was pregnant at the time her death. Jordan is one of the youngest suspects in the country to be charged with homicide. There are two counts of homicide, one covering the fetus. He pleaded not guilty to the charges in May.

In Pennsylvania, there is no lower limit for the age someone can be charged as an adult with criminal homicide. If convicted, Jordan faces life in prison without the possibility of parole.

The question of age is being raised in the Supreme Court this year where the practice of sentencing young people younger than 14 to life in prison without parole is being challenged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 05:50 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,094,173 times
The reason we treat juveniles differently is that their brains haven't fully formed and they don't have the same ability to appreciate the consequences of their actions that adults do.

Serious crime, serious consequence. However, rehabilitation of juveniles is possible and should not be related to the seriousness of the crime.

The crime is horrifying, and while satisfying the the self-righteous chest beaters, locking a 12 year old up for the rest of his life is almost an equal tragedy.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:42 AM

10,018 posts, read 9,457,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
The reason we treat juveniles differently is that their brains haven't fully formed and they don't have the same ability to appreciate the consequences of their actions that adults do.

Serious crime, serious consequence. However, rehabilitation of juveniles is possible and should not be related to the seriousness of the crime.

The crime is horrifying, and while satisfying the the self-righteous chest beaters, locking a 12 year old up for the rest of his life is almost an equal tragedy.
Depends on the age. A 12 year old can understand the consequences of their actions and should be held accountable. If it is determind he was the killer, than he is nothing more than a cold blooded killer. He needs to spend the rest of his life behind bars in order to protect society, unless you can guarantee he'll never kill again.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:07 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,857,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post

You do know that someone who commits an act this violent at an early age is extremely likely to do it again as an adult?

I agree that juveniles don't have the same grasp of the consequences of their actions (I am positive most of us can remember something s---ty we did when we were younger), but this isn't petty theft or vandalism, this was the murder of another human being. Which is something that is pretty ingrained into us at an early age and by instinct that it is pretty f--king wrong. Specifically, he allegedly shot a pregnant woman in the face with a shotgun.

Now, I don't know the details of this case nor the woman's history with the boy. She could have been a horrible person who abused the boy and he might have been somewhat justified in killing her or he could be a budding psychopath and killed her because he was jealous or he could be innocent. I don't know. But I do know that if he did do this, I don't have a whole lot a sympathy for him and I know that statistically speaking he is more likely to grow up to be a dangerous man with no remorse over what happen than not.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:35 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,295,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Depends on the age. A 12 year old can understand the consequences of their actions and should be held accountable. If it is determind he was the killer, than he is nothing more than a cold blooded killer. He needs to spend the rest of his life behind bars in order to protect society, unless you can guarantee he'll never kill again.
Might as well lock up the entire world then. There's no guarantee that any person will not kill.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:13 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,155,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post

I see how most states continue to charge people for murdering the fetus when alot of states do not even think that the fetus is a human being yet.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:23 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,509,793 times
Come to New York and study the "Willie Bosket" law, which permits juveniles to be tried as adults if they commit adult crimes. It was named after a pre-teen (he hadn't even entered his teenage years yet!) who thought it was amusing to walk up behind unsuspecting people and shoot them in the back of the head.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:57 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,763,822 times
Send the father to jail for child neglect/abuse. He taught the little fat boy how to shoot and obviously trusted him with a gun to go hunting, and he trusted little fat boy to have access to gun in the house. Send a message to all ignorant gun-totin' rednecks that if they're going to carry guns around they better be 100% responsible or else they'll be 100% liable.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:27 AM

8,857 posts, read 5,333,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Send the father to jail for child neglect/abuse. He taught the little fat boy how to shoot and obviously trusted him with a gun to go hunting, and he trusted little fat boy to have access to gun in the house. Send a message to all ignorant gun-totin' rednecks that if they're going to carry guns around they better be 100% responsible or else they'll be 100% liable.
As long as Little Fat Brat Boy goes for life maybe.

Send a message to other brats that your age will not save you if you do something this heinous.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:32 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,650,142 times
Quote:
That's ridiculous! My father brought me hunting when I was 10 and he even bought me my own .22 rifle to use! He taught me how to maintain it, clean it, and we never had a gun safe, I kept the damn thing under my bed at night! It would be a smart idea to own a gun safe, but I still don't believe the father should be held liable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies