Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: My thoughts on the "gay frat house" are
It is limousine liberalism at its finest. Stop the segregation. Let the students integrate and learn from each other. 11 32.35%
More evidence of the university being paternal and ineffective. 3 8.82%
Neutral. 8 23.53%
Gays now have a place of their own. It teachs the students to be more tolerant. 8 23.53%
Segregation is fantastic. Straights and gays do not go together. It is wrong. 7 20.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 10:17 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times

Advertisements

So you are in favor of segregation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I doubt the policies are in writing. I'm okay with it, though. When it comes to dating and socializing, people generally like to be around their own kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 10:30 AM

187 posts, read 351,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Um, cause I lived there for years while attending the University of Texas - Austin, and still have family there. And who needs "evidence and details" for such an obvious statement. Do you need evidence and details that grass is green? Obama won like 80-90+% of the vote in some Austin districts - I think 65% overall in Travis county. That's in Texas, USA. Voting for Barack Hussein Obama. It's obvious to anyone that has or does live there that Austin is a liberal town.
I wouldn't bother with him Art. Anybody who knows anything about Texas knows that Austin is a liberal oasis in the midst of a profoundly backward state.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:18 AM

769 posts, read 887,287 times
Quote:
So, even though the straight frat publicly says, "No gays allowed", you're suggesting that gays sneak into these frats by withholding that particular information about themselves?

Yes. There are at least three guys I lived with in the fraternity that I'd eat my socks if they weren't gay, but they never disclosed it. And I don't think this cause they were metro or flamboyant, but when you live with someone for three years, ya get to know someone.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Are there really "no gay" policies in place in the by laws of fraternities or is it just sort of a preference? I really don't know.

No there are not any "No Gays Allowed" clauses. I think the point is, if you come to Rush and tell everyone your gay, you won't get a bid (invitation). If you come to Rush and tell everyone your straight you won't get a bid. Basically, if you do anything weird, you will not get one. The process is an attempt to find 'normal' like minded people in about three meetings, so the process is very discrimatory as if you are weird (so basically different than the house trend) at the first meeting, what will happen later on down the road?

Old 02-15-2010, 07:42 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterK View Post
Yes. There are at least three guys I lived with in the fraternity that I'd eat my socks if they weren't gay, but they never disclosed it. And I don't think this cause they were metro or flamboyant, but when you live with someone for three years, ya get to know someone.
Yes, I understand that, but in your earlier post, you seemed to be suggesting that gays should pretend to be straight if they want to get into a straight frat. I'm not sure why anyone would think that's a good idea.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Yes, I understand that, but the person I was responding to seemed to be suggesting that gays SHOULD pretend to be straight if they want to get into a straight frat. I'm not sure why anyone would think that's a good idea.

Yeah I agree with you. I can speak for about half of my former fraternity as being fine with a member being cause, the other half, ignorant bigots, so from my point of view it shouldn't matter if you were gay or not, but if you really wanted to get in and not have a hard time I'd say speaking up would be to your advantage.

As for pretending to be straight, I guess you don't need to pretend to be straight, just don't bring it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies