Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 12:59 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times

Advertisements

I do agree with Happy Texan in that people do need to pay attention.

But these unions know what they are doing - and they know people won't respond - and the politician who takes the union's money know most people won't respond.

It's a group undertaking that's going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 01:04 PM

20,454 posts, read 12,373,731 times
does anyone actually think this is a good thing or are you just saying the poor people who got suckered here got what they deserved for being apathetic?

Old 02-12-2010, 01:26 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
does anyone actually think this is a good thing or are you just saying the poor people who got suckered here got what they deserved for being apathetic?
I think it's deplorable. But these seem to be the rules of the system these days. You can either sit back and do nothing or play "their" rules to your advantage.

Yes, apathy brought this union deal on them. By not bothering to vote they got themselves part of a union. BUT..they can undo it. Live and learn.
Organize and get 30% signatures and de-certify. Those are the rules.
Use them to your advantage now. Play the same game they are playing.

It's a dog eat dog world out there and we as individuals are no competition.
But..these daycare workers now have the power of a union. They can do one of two things:
1- Complain and do nothing and watch their money be taken from their paychecks
2 - Organize and use the power of the union they don't want to get what they want - decertification of the union.

They now have some power they didn't before. I'll wager the union weenies figure just more apathy and complaining while they count the money rolling in. Don' you think it would send a tremendous message to those union weenies and the government if those union workers organized and removed the union ?

Old 02-12-2010, 01:36 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Good, people who collect tax dollars need to be held to standards

Old 02-12-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I think it's deplorable. But these seem to be the rules of the system these days. You can either sit back and do nothing or play "their" rules to your advantage.

Yes, apathy brought this union deal on them. By not bothering to vote they got themselves part of a union. BUT..they can undo it. Live and learn.

But..these daycare workers now have the power of a union. They can do one of two things:
2 - Organize and use the power of the union they don't want to get what they want - decertification of the union.

They now have some power they didn't before. I'll wager the union weenies figure just more apathy and complaining while they count the money rolling in. Don' you think it would send a tremendous message to those union weenies and the government if those union workers organized and removed the union ?
It seems to me that people need to be up in arms and get rid of this insane rules.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:41 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Another small step in the right direction. Now the state should set and enforce minimal standards.
Whoa, back the cart up a second. What's the benefit other than to the Union? These are small private business that receive subsidies for low income families. Let's say they received $20 per head prior to this and now they get $19 per head.

The Union gets their $1 per head but who is benefiting but the Union?

Old 02-12-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

I would also say that indivuduals within a union have NO power with the unions. the Unions just steal their money and do what they want.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:45 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Another small step in the right direction. Now the state should set and enforce minimal standards.
The state already sets and enforces minimal standards.

The only thing this did was make a union richer at the hands of child-care workers.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:46 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Good, people who collect tax dollars need to be held to standards
They are not collecting tax dollars, the people that are using their services are. For example when I used to deliver coal I was part of the LIHEAP program which provides grants to low income households for heat which is pretty much the same thing here. The government would send me a check and I'd apply it to the customers bill or balance. I'm not getting that money the customer is.

What benefit would there be if they siphoned off money to a Union? I don't have any benefit to from the start and the customer doesn't benefit and would actually be paying more because any money siphoned off by the Union would be reflected in their bill.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:47 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
It seems to me that people need to be up in arms and get rid of this insane rules.
I'll tell ya if I were in that position and it happened to me I'd be on the phone organizing. Those people don't make that much money to start with and they sure as heck don't need a union for the type of work they do; they need regulation and education instead.

I would have voted and I would be calling every member of that union asking them if they wanted out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies