Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 05:53 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,426,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhyrnut View Post
Just read that Kennesaw, Georgia is celebrating 25 years, of a law on the books that requires everyone in town, to own a Firearm and know how to use it. Bet the crime rate is real low. LOL Well anyway Congrats to them. Silver is such a nice color.
I have never heard of that happening in a whole town before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 11:02 PM

137 posts, read 435,869 times
nhyrnut,

Let me end the debate.
I am from originally a place just twenty minutes from Kenessaw Georgia;

the facts are these;

Ken. Ga has the lowest crime in the US of A.

and,

The gun law is strictly enforced! The local militia makes sure of that!

In my neighboring town crime is also very low, here 95 % of the male population carry concealed! 85% of the women do!

Crime is very low!

Carleton Ga it is also a law that all people who legally can own guns, must!

It has a very low crime there too!

Alpharetta Ga also has low violent crime, just last year( or the year before or something along those lines) they had their first murder in 14 years. Alpharetta people are heavily armed too!

Does all this say something? ;-D

Old 06-02-2007, 05:36 PM

62 posts, read 203,423 times
wow sounds like a town that has a few smart people in it! they arent brainwashed by the guns kill people garbage

Old 06-20-2007, 09:07 PM

137 posts, read 435,869 times
Bigchuckie,

Eden or not it is hot as "hades";-)

Old 06-20-2007, 09:12 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,897,443 times
Crime in Kennesaw by Year
Type 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005
Murders 1 1 0 0 1 1 0
per 100,000 6.3 5.2 0.0 0.0 4.0 3.8 0.0

A murder every other year in a town of 30 thousand?

Old 06-20-2007, 09:16 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,468,477 times
Where I live everyone has many guns and it is a very safe place to live. I don't own a gun and I'm still thinking about whether I would want one. I think if anyone came in this town to cause trouble they wouldn’t get very far.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:25 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
I would rather be armed in a violent confrontation than not. Life is too short to risk it on the other guy's good intentions. Also never bring a knife to a gunfight, but always hope the ether guy did.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:54 PM

22 posts, read 84,019 times
Default I know what kind of

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Yes, that's what I said. But it isn't what WorldNetDaily said. When you claim zero, one is a disproof of that claim. And as readily available as that 'one' is, you have to wonder how and why WND simply overlooked it.

You're right...it would be just a guess. That's what you do when you don't know and so posit the answer that you wish were true.

No, rates went down over the long-term reflecting the cumulative effects of on-going population changes. The point was that when you take a look at something other than the cherry-picked data that show up in the WND and other typical right-wing stories on Kennesaw, what you see is that nothing really happened as the result of the gun ordinance at all. Adopting peanut butter sandwiches as the official town lunch would have had about the same impact.

You know, one of the things that criminals most like to steal is...guns! And having a gun in the home increases your chances of dying from being on the wrong end of a gun by a factor of about four. Nice way to 'protect' yourself, there...
The stats actually say that were 3 murders since 1981, 2 by knife, and the one gun murder were 2 out of town drunk men taking the law as a joke daring to shoot each other, and one of the two idiots did it.!!!!

Old 07-23-2007, 08:06 PM

22 posts, read 84,019 times
"not a single resident has been involved in a fatal shooting – as a victim, attacker or defender."
Here is what WND actually said word for word....
That one person who was killed by a gun was 2 drunk men from out of town taking the gun law as a joke, teasing eachother with their guns, and one got shot..... so WND didn't fabricate the story....problem solved!!!

Old 07-24-2007, 07:18 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,202,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REBEL88 View Post
wow sounds like a town that has a few smart people in it! they arent brainwashed by the guns kill people garbage
Brainwashed by the notion that guns kill people? Do you people realize how ridiculous you sound?

The entire UK averages around 200 deaths from firearm injuries in a given year. There are about 600 murders in NYC alone annually. British police officers don't carry guns, and as a result, most criminals don't carry them as well. I know these figures are just averages, and if you don't believe me please feel free to look up the data for yourself. I know this is only one comparison, and it doesn't really prove anything, but I think it makes a valid point.

Personally I would never own a gun. I definitely believe that gun-related death rates are lower in Kennesaw for now, but so many things could go wrong. What if someone gets angry at a neighbor? It is just that much easier for something seriously bad to happen if they both have guns. People lose their tempers easily and do stupid things. To me it sounds like the entire town is a power keg just waiting for a spark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies