Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2010, 11:10 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,314,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
someone needs to tell them that islamic law dont mean diddle lee squat here.
It means a lot to Muslims. Unlike Christians, Muslims take their religion very seriously. They don't pick and choose what to accept and what not to accept like Christians do. Muslims don't discard their religious duties, values and concepts for the sake of convenience like Christians do. If you doubt that's the case then ask yourself this question: why is it that even though body scanners violate Christian notions of morality that Christians aren't issuing calls for protest also?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 11:19 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
It means a lot to Muslims. Unlike Christians, Muslims take their religion very seriously. They don't pick and choose what to accept and what not to accept like Christians do. Muslims don't discard their religious duties, values and concepts for the sake of convenience like Christians do. If you doubt that's the case then ask yourself this question: why is it that even though body scanners violate Christian notions of morality that Christians aren't issuing calls for protest also?
You assume that there are Christians whose modesty is not offended? How so? Perhaps rather than expecting the system to make exceptions for them they just choose not to fly.

If one's religious laws and modesties do not agree with US law then they are welcome go to a country that accomodates it. If that means not flying, don't fly. It is not a bashing of one's religion. It is treating everyone in the US the SAME regardless of their faith or following.

The US does not exist to accommodate any particular religion or religious sects laws. Get over it. The US will not fall to Sharia Law. We will not be so blind as to make the mistakes of Western Europe.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:30 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,486,466 times
Quote:
Airport scanners violate Christian notions of morality also, and Christians themselves would be protesting also if they took their religion seriously.

If you want to talk about taking a "religion seriously" you would already understand the NEED to protect any interest from the MUSLIMS who take their religion SERIOUSLY.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:31 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,993,500 times
Quote:
Modern Christians are not an oppressive, violent religion, unlike Islam. In the modern Western countries it's live and let live. In barbaric third-world countries it's live like us or die.

Also, the US is not a theocratic state, unlike many countries in the Middle East. If muslims don't like Western laws, they can go back to the sandholes they came from where nothing offends Islamic law but definitely offends the laws of civility and humanity.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:39 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
So don't fly. I really doubt that the coran even contemplated body scans.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
Americans are so easy to manipulate. I am not muslim but don't like these scanners. If you are scared of terrorist on planes, then don't fly. You guys have no dignity if you don't care about your personal rights anymore. Patriot Act, Full Body Scanners...and you still don't feel safe.
It's so funny to hear Europeans talk about "dignity".

When was the last time any country in Europe took care of itself when in need, under attack, in the middle of a war...and without the USA's help?

What's the $$ EU debt that has NEVER been paid back to the US?

Old 02-14-2010, 12:10 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,901,367 times
Quote:
And as an atheist I'm wondering why ANY religion gets a get of jail free card on this OR because of how some groups want to keep ramming their world view down everyone else's throat yet again my personal freedom and liberty is being violated (something I TAKE VERY SERIOUSLY) and I can't even pull out the piety trump card because I refuse to pick a team.

SHOW me the Christians strapping on bombs and attempting to convert the world to their world view and perhaps I'll be just as outspoken about their abhorent behaviour AND again same with the Atheists or Buddist or a squillion other religions that people follow and seemingly don't feel the need to terrorize others with. As I've said numerous times before IF I had a religion and I could see an extreme group of said religion attempting to terrorize others into submission and misrepresent my religious beliefs you'd better believe I'd be fighting tooth and nail to have them shut down.

Yes there are good muslims and I take no issue with them finding this "loophole" and attempting to test it HOWEVER instead of sitting back and watching all this terror go on in the name of their God and then finding ways to make the rules implemented because of it not apply to them how bout some bloody outrage and a concerted effort to weed this stuff out in their own backyards instead of sitting passively by and saying it's not me?

Old 02-14-2010, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
There's a flipside to that coin.
If you're so scared of flying, don't fly and let the rest of us do it without being treated like a felon.
No flip side. Get over it. 9/11 changed things. Don't fly if you don't like the precautions taken.

Quote:
How many people are killed by terrorists on planes, or by terrorists using planes as weapons?
In one day, about 3,000.

Quote:
How many are killed yearly by terrorists all together?
One is enough and history, as you well know, repeats itself.

Quote:
How many people are shot and killed by your fellow American every year?
How many Europeans are misdiagnosed or don't get immediate attention or die from being put on waiting lists for medical issues?

Quote:
How many die in auto accidents?
And since driving in a car has nothing to do with flying on a plane where the sneaky jihadists tend to keep on giving it the good ol' college try...what does that have to do with anything?

Quote:
How many kill themselves?
When someone takes their own life, and doesn't take out a few hundred people along with them, this is of no significance.

Quote:
Do you really not see how insanely out of proportion the numbers, money spent and measures taken are?
Nope. And especially b/c your "examples" were so all over the place.

Quote:
And hell, say these body scans eventually do work (there's been more than enough critics saying they won't anyway), what's stopping terrorists from walking into the bottleneck that these security gates tend to be, and blow themselves up there? Or go to a college football game, or a mall? I mean, do you really think making airport security will make that much difference?
Who knows? When's the last time a terrorist ever did anything "small"? Flying a plane into a HS stadium? Maybe they'll get that desperate.

Quote:
And why are you scared of these people? They're cowards and idiots, why fear them?
Who's scared? It's about prevention. Prevention comes in all shapes and sizes, form using birth control...so you don't get pregnant...to not driving drunk...so you don't get a DUI...to making sure that ONE muslim on your flight has been scanned so you aren't on that flight that will get him all those virgins waiting for his messed up ass.

Small price to pay.

Don't like it? Don't fly.

Quote:
Honestly, I think the profiling isn't a problem, I don't think I've ever seen a white person pulled aside for extra checks, unless they looked like druggies or criminals.
You sit on the side of the road and chase cop cars to see who they pull over?

Quote:
White men rape little girls, unless you start announcing in the media that you will fight against this, I will assume you are one of them.
Talk about outta left field...

Quote:
.Is that really how we're supposed to reason these days?
Where were you reasoning?

Old 02-14-2010, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
You assume that there are Christians whose modesty is not offended?
If you--and I mean "you" in the generic sense of the word--call yourself a Christian and you take your religion seriously, body scanners do indeed violate your morality. If you feel that it doesn't then that should be cause for concern as a Christian.

On this issue of the morality of body scanners Christians and Muslims should actually agree on religious grounds.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
SHOW me the Christians strapping on bombs and attempting to convert the world to their world view
Okay, I give you the US military and Blackwater. Here are two organizations attempting to convert the world to their world view by way of violence, aggression and terror.

Terrorism is the result of asymmetrical warfare, not of religious fanaticism.

And I sincerely doubt you are truly an Atheist, you don't sound like any Atheist I've ever knew, you actually sound like a Christian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies