Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do we work too much?
Yes, a 21 hour work week would make everyone better off 21 19.81%
No, we must work 40 hours a week to maintain this standard of living 31 29.25%
Neutral 8 7.55%
A 30 hour work week sounds more reasonable 46 43.40%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 11:42 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,171,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA-Jsn20 View Post
Another thing, in the 50s one working parent was enough to support an entire family. What happened?? Maybe we could use a little more government intervention in our lives.
In the 50s all people needed was a 700 sq ft house for the whole family, one car and very little in the way of entertainment. A family did not need a plasma TV, multiple laptops, a cell phone for each family member, 2-3 cars, 2000+ sq. foot homes, etc.

Our current generation has an enormous sense of entitlement. What was a luxury in the 50s is a necessity today.

I am 23 years old and don't make more than the national average, but I could definately support an entire family living the lifestyle I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Actually I was suggesting that the government should invest in those things, so maybe you missed MY point.
And no I didn't know what vc or angel was but a simple google search fixed that.

So you would rather have the government take care of something for you instead of trying to solve the problem yourself?

I definately understood what you meant. Believe it or not, the point of government was never intended to grant every wish of the citizens of this country. It was to protect basic human rights. If you feel alternative energy will be a good thing stop asking someone else (aka, government) to do it for you and take some responsibility upon yourself.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:49 AM
miu

17,764 posts, read 40,059,279 times
Quote:
Another thing, in the 50s one working parent was enough to support an entire family. What happened?? Maybe we could use a little more government intervention in our lives.
Since the 50's, our society has become more materialistic. There are more luxuries and gadgets to throw our money away on. Living just costs more money.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:51 AM

631 posts, read 1,287,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
So you would rather have the government take care of something for you instead of trying to solve the problem yourself?

I definately understood what you meant. Believe it or not, the point of government was never intended to grant every wish of the citizens of this country. It was to protect basic human rights. If you feel alternative energy will be a good thing stop asking someone else (aka, government) to do it for you and take some responsibility upon yourself.
Look, fact of the matter is that nothing I do would be as effective as a government intervention, such as a cap on carbon emissions for all businesses.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Look, fact of the matter is that nothing I do would be as effective as a government intervention, such as a cap on carbon emissions for all businesses.

lol...this is the first time I have seen someone call the government effective.

Thanks for the laugh!

Old 02-15-2010, 11:55 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,147,945 times
Quote:
BBC News - Cut working week to 21 hours, urges think tank
I think this would be a great way to increase productivity, decrease stress, improve quality of life, among many other things. We would have more time for family and to do chores, cook healthy meals, and just enjoy life more. I think this would be a much better idea than to let people retire at age 40, which there was a thread about not too long ago. HOWEVER, 21 hours just doesn't seem like enough to keep somebody busy, in my opinion we should start by going to 30 hours and then see how that works out. What do you guys think??
Not in America:
Americans wouldn't know what to do with the spare time.
Quality of life is not an American interest.
Who cares about stress as long as it provides material gains?
Fast food at the drive-thru trumps home cooking.
The reputation is that Americans live for their jobs.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Since the 50's, our society has become more materialistic. There are more luxuries and gadgets to throw our money away on. Living just costs more money.
Producing these "luxuries and gadgets" gets cheaper and cheaper every year, yet wages and standard of living remain the same. Healthcare and college costs continue to sky rocket, yet wages remain the same. Banks receive public money (billions of it) to pay for the consequences of malpractice, and then give out millions more to the CEOs while the rest of the world suffers in a recession.

So much wrong with this picture and yet there are those who are happy as can be being slaves. Go figure.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
lol...this is the first time I have seen someone call the government effective.

Thanks for the laugh!
So you are ignorant to everything the government does for you on a daily basis, such as pick up your trash.

oh brother... thanks for the laugh! (or should I being crying)

Old 02-15-2010, 12:00 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,269,122 times
I have a great Idea, close all the stores on sunday, so we have more time with our family. does anyone remember that?

Old 02-15-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
So you are ignorant to everything the government does for you on a daily basis, such as pick up your trash.
oh brother... thanks for the laugh! (or should I being crying)
We have been talking about the national government, not local (trash pickup) or state. The national government has the rights to protect what was explicitly defined in the constitution and nothing more. Do you disagree with this? I don't see where in the constitution the idea of research into alternative energy lies. If I am missing something please let me know. I apologize for the tone of my last post. I want to keep this as an intellectual discussion. RVA-Jsn20 - if you have ideas for new technologies in alternative energy as you posted send me a PM. I know a few investors who would consider helping you with startup costs.

I believe in modern society studies like the one in the OP define the current generation. The problem with the world is that we are overworked with only 40 hours per week. The real problem is a lack of personal responsibility. If one takes responsibility for their own life they can make decisions that lead them to do something they enjoy on a day to day basis and not have to worry about government imposing arbitrary limits on hours worked per day. I would personally rather work 80 hours per week doing something I love rather than 21 hours per week doing something I hate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies