Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do we work too much?
Yes, a 21 hour work week would make everyone better off 21 19.81%
No, we must work 40 hours a week to maintain this standard of living 31 29.25%
Neutral 8 7.55%
A 30 hour work week sounds more reasonable 46 43.40%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 12:10 PM

4,559 posts, read 4,100,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjive View Post
Might work in the white collar world but here in the blue collar world,things would never get finished.
Given the amount of unemployment out there.....I think that those unemployed could fill the gaps left by a shorter work week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 12:14 PM

4,559 posts, read 4,100,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Personally, I think doing away with night shift jobs, would be the best option. It not only has detrimental effects on most peoples physical bodies, but it also throws your mental abilities into the gutter as well.
Nurses? Doctors? Firefighters? Policemen? I've worked night shift in retail, and in health care, you're right about how it can ********* up, but some of these are needed because emergencies don't restrict themselves to business hours.

However most other things there is no need for 24/7.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:51 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,153 times
I love this country because we get to choose what we want to do for a living, and how often we want to do it. Nobody forces anyone to do anything they don't want (yet). Work as often or as little as you want. Government getting involved won't fix anything. It never does.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:58 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,473,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
I love this country because we get to choose what we want to do for a living, and how often we want to do it. Nobody forces anyone to do anything they don't want (yet). Work as often or as little as you want. Government getting involved won't fix anything. It never does.
The only reason people have the option of a 40 hour work week to reach full time status is due to gov't intervention/unions.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:04 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,081,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Personally, I think doing away with night shift jobs, would be the best option. It not only has detrimental effects on most peoples physical bodies, but it also throws your mental abilities into the gutter as well.

For some jobs, like mine, I feel that working 40 hours a week is needed. However, I think that the best way for many of those 40 hour a week jobs to happen, is to allow the employee to work that 40 hours, whenever they want.

So, if you want to work, non stop for 3 days (including sleep) and not work the other 4 days of the week, that'd be fine. If you'd rather work 6 hours a day, for 7 days a week, then that would be fine to.

The fact is, biologically, we are not all at our best at 8 or 9 in the mourning. And others are best at 7 in the evening.
What about those jobs that still need to operate during the night? Emergency, police, fire, gas station attendants, hotel workers, nuclear techs, hospitals?

Old 02-13-2010, 01:58 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Another "feel good" proposal by leftists! How absolutely absurd!

I work to provide for myself and for my family. I work as long, and as hard, as is necessary to get the job done. If it can be done in 40 - fine. 60 - Great. 120 - whatever it takes.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:18 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
The only reason people have the option of a 40 hour work week to reach full time status is due to gov't intervention/unions.
Yes. Because people never made money, had full time jobs, started successful businesses and were generally miserable human beings just working to pass the time between life and death before unions were formed and government started sticking their hands into everything.

Brilliant statement.

The ONLY reason this country provides us the opportunities that it does is because we have the freedoms to do what we please. For now. I'm sure you'd rather the government and unions run everything, but the majority of us see what unions have bastardized themselves into and prefer that the government goes and re-reads the Constitution to see what their job truly is.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:27 PM

241 posts, read 251,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Yes. Because people never made money, had full time jobs, started successful businesses and were generally miserable human beings just working to pass the time between life and death before unions were formed and government started sticking their hands into everything.
Unions are what got you this 40 hour work week in the first place. Also, weekends.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:29 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
He wants his full time benefits without working for them. Thats the problem.
who proclaimed that 40 hours is "full time" and required in order to get benefits? Why does that have to be the magic number? It's an arbitrary number.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:40 PM

45,378 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
who proclaimed that 40 hours is "full time" and required in order to get benefits? Why does that have to be the magic number? It's an arbitrary number.

Grew out of the New Deal measures of FDR to combat the Great Depression. As did overtime laws. The idea was that employers would hire new workers if the current ones were limited to 40 hours, thereby lowering the massive unemployment. Child labor restrictions were also a part of the plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies