Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 04:41 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times

Advertisements

"The best you can say about the effort is that it fits into the White House’s universal answer to all of its problems: 'We just need to explain to these confused Americans how we’ve been right about everything.' To that end, the White House wants to use Republicans as a skeptical prop-audience in one last infomercial for the ShamWow of Obamacare."

Planned Summit Is Just an Infomercial in Disguise - Jonah Goldberg - National Review Online

So, are the Republicans being set up by the White House? Obama is already committed to the House and Senate bills and unwilling to scrap them and start over. Is it plain as day what he's up to? Will the GOP fall into the trap and abandon us? Is bi-partisanship just another word for surrender and/or "cross the aisle and do it our way?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 05:58 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,846,493 times
Get used to it. Is is, and will continue to expose the GOP until they find it in their best interest to represent Americans.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:01 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,138,717 times
"it's a trap!"

Old 02-13-2010, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
"it's a trap!"
It is for sure. But the GOP is already caught in it. It's a trap of their own making.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:41 AM

745 posts, read 1,437,600 times
Great Post OP!

Kim Strassel: Obama's Attack Machine—II - WSJ.com

Nice WSJ Op Ed along the same lines.

"His agenda stymied and his approval numbers sinking, President Obama has realized this year's midterm election is shaping up as a referendum on failed Democratic governance. The new White House plan? Change the discussion, talk about Republicans, and frighten the nation about GOP ideas."

Old 02-13-2010, 06:53 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,558,366 times
Like my Congressman from Florida GRAYSON said about the GOP healthcare plan! "they want you to Die"! They have no plan other than to lick the behinds of health insurers.
I say cut off the health benefits to Republicans and see how quickly they move!

Old 02-13-2010, 07:28 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,363,125 times
This is a good ploy for the President,considering he smacked the {R}s around like a hooker on 7th avenue at their own retreat.Take note he didn't need a teleprompter.
The {R}s will show up with 2 weak proposals,buying across state lines and tort reform.Obama pointed out to them that buying across state lines is already in the bill if the states add them to the exchange.The average cost of HC insurance is on the low end is $3,600 and on the high end $4,200 for a single person.
If we averaged out to 3,800 the monthly payment would be $311 a month.So my million dollar question to the {R}s is how can a poor ****** making between $8 and $11 an hour afford to add $311 a month to already a tight budget?The poor shmucks won't be able to and will end up paying the fine to the federal gvt coffers for not having HC insurance.Duh!!!!!!!!!
Then {R} followers bring out the magic bullet touted by their talking bobble heads Rush/Hannity etc about how tort reform will lower cost.This is {R} hogwash and the free market that they say they support shows otherwise.The only reason a corporation exist and their main function is to increase profits.Why would the insurance companies lower premiums from the money they saved from tort reform?What would stop them from sticking the proceeds in their pockets?
Do you get my drift,tort reform would do nothing to cut the expense of HC insurance.
I am no expert on HC or anything for that matter and I really do not know how to solve the problem.I do look forward to the HC debate and I predict the President will smack them around again,and if they are a no show it will not look good for them.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:38 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,041,200 times
Default It's a trap....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Will the GOP fall into the trap and abandon us? Is bi-partisanship just another word for surrender and/or "cross the aisle and do it our way?"
No. The republicans should never cross the isle and work together.

They should always vote on straight party lines.

As a group, the Republicans have all of the answers for the problems facing our country.

Stonewalling and obstructionism is what they're paid for.

Why would they ever want to discuss issues with "the other side" ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Like my Congressman from Florida GRAYSON said about the GOP healthcare plan! "they want you to Die"! They have no plan other than to lick the behinds of health insurers.
I say cut off the health benefits to Republicans and see how quickly they move!
Great idea.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:59 AM

745 posts, read 1,437,600 times
Quote:
Do you get my drift,tort reform would do nothing to cut the expense of HC insurance.
this is a HUGE lie generated and supported by Law Firm Lobbyists.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:46 AM

The GOP is currently in a position of having to deal with a White House that is substantially smarter than they. The GOP is ill equipped to deal with that, they had very little experience confronting that, during the previous Administration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies