Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you for assisted suicide?
Yes 24 75.00%
No 8 25.00%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 02:07 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,938,142 times

Advertisements

Our loved one went through Cemo-therapy for lung cancer. It later mestastisized to his liver and spine. We started a morphine drip and he never woke. I knew, being in the medical field, what the morphine would do to the human body. We had no more options except that one. He past quietly with family members around him. With dignity and love all around him.

So, "YES", I do support assisted suic-...... Crossing Over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 02:10 PM

592 posts, read 2,809,857 times
Years ago I was solidly against it. After watching my dear father suffer the painful ravages of cancer throughout his body and the devastating effects of the so called treatment, I am firmly in favor of assisted suicide. Morally, I would have no idea who would be the one to decide the circumstances it would be allowable, I would be certain the medical community would be vehemently against such a measure.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:24 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,258,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaneyland View Post
Years ago I was solidly against it. After watching my dear father suffer the painful ravages of cancer throughout his body and the devastating effects of the so called treatment, I am firmly in favor of assisted suicide. Morally, I would have no idea who would be the one to decide the circumstances it would be allowable, I would be certain the medical community would be vehemently against such a measure.
But that's the point. . people can refuse treatment, chemotherapy whatever . . this is not suicide. Suicide is actively doing something to cause death.
It doesn't mean to refuse chemotherapy or artificial life support. It would mean administering an overdose or giving a lethal injection, or whatever.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
Our loved one went through Cemo-therapy for lung cancer. It later mestastisized to his liver and spine. We started a morphine drip and he never woke. I knew, being in the medical field, what the morphine would do to the human body. We had no more options except that one. He past quietly with family members around him. With dignity and love all around him.

So, "YES", I do support assisted suic-...... Crossing Over.
This to me -a morphine drip which would cause a person to eventually stop breathing could be considered assisted.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:58 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Are you for assisted suicide?
Assisted suicide is a contradiction in terms. That would be like saying "a two-man solo."

Old 05-30-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Assisted suicide is a contradiction in terms. That would be like saying "a two-man solo."
Are you saying it's murder?

Old 05-30-2007, 04:08 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Are you saying it's murder?
Purposefully killing someone is murder, yes, with or without help.

But I do not believe that removing someone from life support systems is necessarily murder. Allowing nature to take its course is one thing. Killing is something else.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Purposefully killing someone is murder, yes, with or without help.

But I do not believe that removing someone from life support systems is necessarily murder. Allowing nature to take its course is one thing. Killing is something else.
I agree, and I like the two-man solo analogy!

Old 05-30-2007, 04:20 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,849,836 times
I prefer the term "Euthanasia"; "suicide" seems so negative somehow. As I have done with my pets I would hope someone could do for me. I also believe a person can will themselves to die. I have seen it happen several times.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:56 PM

592 posts, read 2,809,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
But that's the point. . people can refuse treatment, chemotherapy whatever . . this is not suicide. Suicide is actively doing something to cause death.
It doesn't mean to refuse chemotherapy or artificial life support. It would mean administering an overdose or giving a lethal injection, or whatever.
I get your point spunk. The big question is quality of life and burdening your family or whoever is going to be footing the bill and agony of your ailment. Frankly, I'd sooner pull the plug than saddle my wonderful wife with hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills and the agony of her seeing me deteriorate physically, mentally, or both. My pop's deal was doing the treatment to pacify my step mom, and maybe me, despite my objections to the chemo. It was a deal where there was no chance whatsoever he'd survive and frankly he was a way bigger man than I ever hope to be. If it were me under the circumstances he was facing, I gotta tell you, I'd just as soon pull the pin when my ability to function was finished. I just believe in my heart and soul that if there is no possibility to recover from a progessive ailment, injury, whatever, I should be given the chance to choose my path instead of a lawyer, a judge, or some friggin legislative body. I've never seen such pain and agony and frankly, never wish to ever again. It is a very sticky issue, I understand that, but I'm just giving my opinion on what I've experienced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies