Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you for assisted suicide?
Yes 24 75.00%
No 8 25.00%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 05:02 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
Our loved one went through Cemo-therapy for lung cancer. It later mestastisized to his liver and spine. We started a morphine drip and he never woke. I knew, being in the medical field, what the morphine would do to the human body. We had no more options except that one. He past quietly with family members around him. With dignity and love all around him.

So, "YES", I do support assisted suic-...... Crossing Over.
To you sir, my hat is off. I'm sorry for your loss. I too, was on morphine last year. I beat it. But I have the greatest respect for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 05:34 PM

548 posts, read 2,647,963 times
Yes, I am in favor. I think we often treat our dying dogs with more empathy and respect at the end of their lives than we do human beings.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:47 PM

484 posts, read 1,944,623 times
In theory, I agree with the "right to die". It's your life, and if you want to end you life, that should be respected.

However, I can never support physician-assisted suicide. Medicine in the US is all about money, and death is cheap.

I've had some very bad HMOs, and the ability to kill patients would make saving money much easier. It's a short step from "Stop the chemo, it's just too much" to "Sorry about the leukemia diagnosis. Your HMO will only pay for morphine." Chemo is expensive, and it doesn't always work. A morphine overdose is fast and cheap. Unfortunately, it also kills the patient.

In Texas, hospitals are allowed to disconnect a ventilator if they decide that keeping it on is futile, even if the patient's family disagrees. It has been on the books since 1999, and it has been used a few dozen times, mostly on poor, uninsured patients. I found a story about one case (baby had an incurable disease, Mom wanted the baby to die naturally, hospital wanted to disconnect the ventilator) at The Austin American-Statesman (broken link).

Last edited by Hatless Wonder; 05-30-2007 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: formatting

Old 02-27-2009, 10:06 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,692,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
Many people have strong religious and moral objections to assisted suicide, and they should have that right respected. But on the other hand those that don't have those objections should have the right to pursue it as an option.

funny is that a wide majority of those support the death penalty.

I am for assisted suicide. It's a personal thing. Anyway, either it is legalised or not, a desperate person will blow his brains out if he cannot seek assisted suicide.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:12 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Mom wanted the baby to die naturally, hospital wanted to disconnect the ventilator

Um, how was the baby supposed to die naturally on a ventilator? That's not natural. That's artificial life support. So if the mom wanted the kid to die naturally, he should be unhooked from everything that's keeping him alive by artificial means.

If you want socialized medicine, btw, look forward to seeing a whole lot more of that. Cuz it's going to stop being about choice and it's going to start being more about the cost to the rest of society.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:36 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Default Are you for assisted suicide?

Honestly I was agians't it until my Dad got cancer and had kidney failure, lucky for him he is recovering but when i thought there may be no hope I was torn to see him suffering, in his dialysis clinic I see people slumped in their wheelchairs completly unaware of their surroundings slowly suffering and dying, it has made me think hard about this and I feel the circumstances must be right but If that person is going to slowly suffer until death then yes they should be able to end it in a dignified way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies