Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 06:26 PM

316 posts, read 596,179 times

Advertisements

Please correct me if I’m wrong. Please explain why. Thank You.

The United States constitution guarantees and guards certain principles. Of which the president, any president swears in his oath of office to preserve, protect, and defend.

One clause is the separation of church and state.

Separation of church and state in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Treaty of Tripoli - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia See Clause 11.

Now, Mr. Obama, as Mr. Bush before him, has appointed a “special Muslim envoy,” to represent the United States abroad.

Obama names White House lawyer as U.S. emissary to Muslim world - latimes.com

Is this by any chance a breach of the constitution’s guarantee of separation of church and state? I believe it is!

If a special envoy is necessary, a secular title can be used. In this case, “special Arab envoy,” would seem proper.

Does the United States send out Christian, Protestant, Catholic, Jewish or Buddhist envoys to various areas of the world. I think not!

What do you think? Please be candid. Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 06:35 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RABBI JOE View Post

Is this by any chance a breach of the constitution’s guarantee of separation of church and state? I believe it is!
You believe wrongly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RABBI JOE

If a special envoy is necessary, a secular title can be used. In this case, “special Arab envoy,” would seem proper.
Arab /= Muslim. I should think someone who calls himself Rabbi would know that basic fact.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:40 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Seems okay to me; after all, we have a FULL EMBASSY with The Vatican.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:47 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,044,731 times
Quote:
The United States constitution guarantees and guards certain principles. Of which the president, any president swears in his oath of office to preserve, protect, and defend.

Separation of church and state in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now, Mr. Obama, as Mr. Bush before him, has appointed a “special Muslim envoy,” to represent the United States abroad.

Is this by any chance a breach of the constitution’s guarantee of separation of church and state?
Excellent sleuthing Joe. You deserve a rep.

There are way too many fanatical Christian revisionist that distort history for their own agenda.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:56 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Seems okay to me; after all, we have a FULL EMBASSY with The Vatican.
Our Embassy is with the Vatican City, not the Vatican.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:25 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,984,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
Our Embassy is with the Vatican City, not the Vatican.

The actually embassy is not in Vatican city but in Rome. However the embassy in Rome also is the US embassy to Italy.

Last edited by other99; 02-13-2010 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 02-14-2010, 11:46 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times
Quote:
Please correct me if I’m wrong. Please explain why. Thank You.

Obama names White House lawyer as U.S. emissary to Muslim world - latimes.com

Does the United States send out Christian, Protestant, Catholic, Jewish or Buddhist envoys to various areas of the world. I think not!

What do you think? Please be candid. Thank You.

I think the obvious.....appeasement.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:31 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Obama panders to Islam, nothing new.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:34 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
Quote:
Perhaps, but he's not the first US president to send a delegate to the OIC.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:25 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Knowing the other close and trusted people Obama surrounded himself with in the past, it's a bit curious that he thinks he can garner public confidence by calling this man a "a close and trusted member of my White House staff."

That's not exactly a great endorsement IMO. I'm not so sure that anyone who is "close and trusted" in the Obama administration can really be trusted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies