Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2019, 10:25 PM

334 posts, read 226,995 times

Advertisements

They never have

Old 02-23-2019, 10:26 PM

1,065 posts, read 470,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
If I want my grand kids to look like me is that racist?
I don't think it is at all.

Having distaste or concern for your grandkids not looking like another race would be racist, however.

Either way, however, it's not up to you.

Old 02-23-2019, 10:27 PM

2,362 posts, read 776,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
I look like a white guy though.

And I'm not disowning anyone. What will be will be, but I know how I hope things work out.
White guys don't look alike. We're both White guys, but I'm guessing we look nothing alike.

For some reason when people say things like what you said, it just stops at race. Mr Butt Chin blonde haired blue eyed doesn't seem to care when his daughter pulls some puffy faced brunette with an aquiline nose. His grandkids won't look like him, they will be White though. Could you imagine how ridiculous it would be for a father to micromanage their daughter's or son's mate to maximize the chances the grandchildren will look like them

Old 02-23-2019, 10:42 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,644,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
You don't want your grand kids to look like you, you want them to be the same race as you, and that is racist. I won't hold it against you, but let's run with it, let's say you do want your grandkids to look like you, are you going to disown your daughter or son from marrying another white person who doesn't look like you?
Nope, sorry, it is not "racist" for this man to want his grandchildren to be the same race as he is. You are not a racist just because you would like your family to carry on with the same racial background that defines your family's history. What really counts is your reasoning behind those feelings. If you believe your race is superior, or you have hatred or prejudice towards members of other races, then I would accept your labeling a person a racist. But simply wishing for your family to continue along the same path that it has for centuries does not make you a racist in any way/shape/form.

Just like any issue, you can't just wrap up everything dealing with race into a little ball and label it all racist if someone's views or opinions don't align with PC culture. Heritage is a big deal to a lot of people, and being concerned about your family's history and preserving your roots is not racist. But hey, I won't hold this way of thinking against you. You have been conditioned to believe that anyone who doesn't completely embrace the idea of interracial relations simply must be a racist. When the truth is, many people, of all races, want their children and their children's children to date/marry/reproduce within their own race. And it's not because all these people feel they are superior to other races, or because they harbor prejudices against other races. It is because they want to preserve their family's heritage.

PS. Save the argument about how we are all mixed. Yes, we are. Most of us, myself included, are essentially mutts. But regardless of this fact, apparently the mix that created me was predominantly white, which is why I was born with white skin. And the same will be true for people of other races. It is not wrong for my friend Dave, who is black, to want to have black children. It is not wrong for my friend Carlos to want to marry another latino woman and have latino children. And it isn't wrong for me to want to marry a white woman and have white children. Furthermore, it also isn't wrong for my sister to marry a black man, and have mixed children, if that is what she wishes to do. Perhaps it's time everyone just butted out and let people have relations with whomever they please, and stop trying to judge them based on weather or not they wish to breed with a person of the same shade or not. Bottom line, stop trying to label everything as racist. That ship has sailed.

Old 02-23-2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Nope, sorry, it is not "racist" for this man to want his grandchildren to be the same race as he is. You are not a racist just because you would like your family to carry on with the same racial background that defines your family's history. What really counts is your reasoning behind those feelings. If you believe your race is superior, or you have hatred or prejudice towards members of other races, then I would accept your labeling a person a racist. But simply wishing for your family to continue along the same path that it has for centuries does not make you a racist in any way/shape/form.
Let's extend your sentimentality - hey, I want my family to stay White since my ancestors were White. Well, what's different from saying - I want my country (in your case the USA) to stay White, since the founders were White and it has been White as long as it has existed.

Look, this is how I view it. Your daughter brings home a nonWhite guy and you reject him solely based on his race, that's racist. I don't think this is necessarily immoral, but it's racist nonetheless. You're making a decision solely based on race. I know there are many definitions around this word, so you can pull up one where supremacy needs to be involved etc but for me it's cut and dry - if you prejudge someone based on their race, if you treat someone differently based on their race, that's racist.

Old 02-23-2019, 10:51 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,595,148 times
No they don't bother me and have not in the past. Live and let live.

Old 02-23-2019, 10:53 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,805,770 times
Quote:
Let's extend your sentimentality - hey, I want my family to stay White since my ancestors were White. Well, what's different from saying - I want my country (in your case the USA) to stay White, since the founders were White and it has been White as long as it has existed.

Look, this is how I view it. Your daughter brings home a nonWhite guy and you reject him solely based on his race, that's racist. I don't think this is necessarily immoral, but it's racist nonetheless. You're making a decision solely based on race. I know there are many definitions around this word, so you can pull up one where supremacy needs to be involved etc but for me it's cut and dry - if you prejudge someone based on their race, if you treat someone differently based on their race, that's racist.
Now you moved the goal post because this is what you said earlier. Notice no mention of "rejection" And the poster said he was not disowning anyone but you have to put words in his mouth.

Quote:
You don't want your grand kids to look like you, you want them to be the same race as you, and that is racist. I won't hold it against you, but let's run with it, let's say you do want your grandkids to look like you, are you going to disown your daughter or son from marrying another white person who doesn't look like you?

Old 02-23-2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Now you moved the goal post because this is what you said earlier. Notice no mention of "rejection"
If you want your grandkids to stay the same race as you, this implies you will prejudge someone of a race differently and probably treat them differently as well. But prejudge is enough (prejudice). It could be as innocuous as well - damn, I don't want him marrying my daughter because he's Black - but it's still a prejudgement solely based on race aka racism. Even if you don't act on it, it's still a racist thought.

Old 02-23-2019, 10:59 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,805,770 times
Quote:
If you want your grandkids to stay the same race as you, this implies you will prejudge someone of a race differently and probably treat them differently as well. But prejudge is enough (prejudice). It could be as innocuous as well - damn, I don't want him marrying my daughter because he's Black - but it's still a prejudgement solely based on race aka racism.
No it doesn't because it is exactly as Reads2MUCH says but that doesn't fit your narrative that you want to push. You are assuming, no one is implying.

Old 02-23-2019, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
No it doesn't because it is exactly as Reads2MUCH says but that doesn't fit your narrative that you want to push.
This is not an argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies