Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2010, 06:41 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,571,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Right now I'm finding myself more attracted to African-American/black women because that's who I'm around a lot of the time but I also have a thing for Indian women and Asian women (I know some people consider Indians Asian but whatever...). Hispanic women aren't bad looking either.

My parents always taught me it was wrong to dislike or like someone based simply on the color of their skin.
I am Indian. DO you have a thing for me, baby?

Old 02-16-2010, 06:43 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,949,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyNix732 View Post
It's 2010 people, and times have changed; I must admit, but does an interracial relationship still ring "TABOO" and in our minds. I know sometimes I'll see an interracial couple and I feel like they're looking at me to see if I disapprove, or is it just in my head?. I have no problem with interracial relationships, but I'm curious if most of the public still does have a problem. So I want to know people of City-Data, how do you feel? Please let me see your opinions.. White men with Black Women, Black Men with White Women. Asian Men with White Women/vice versa.. Hispanic Men and Black Women ... you get my point.. let me know how you feel?

It's ALL good, IMO. I've been married for 20 years to someone of another race.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:43 PM

10,029 posts, read 9,503,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadScribe View Post
Well, not necessarily. Some "blacks" have a great great great great grandmum who was not black.
People need to realize that more of us are actually more "multi-racial" then we even realize and certainly have more ethnicities in our heritage and blood lineage than we may even be aware of.
If you don't get it, don't worry, I'm sure your grandkids will.
I actually was meant that whites, as with any other race (including blacks) have racist idiots. No race is better or worse, no race is more racist than another.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:46 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,784,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I am Indian. DO you have a thing for me, baby?
LOL.

Send me a photo.
I did have a crush on an Indian girl I met online. Too bad she had a girlfriend but I felt she had a thing for me, I just lived too far away.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:50 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,252,821 times
How many threads, regarding interracial relationships, do we need? The same people are saying the same things -

Old 02-16-2010, 07:19 PM

73,002 posts, read 62,578,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Right now I'm finding myself more attracted to African-American/black women because that's who I'm around a lot of the time but I also have a thing for Indian women and Asian women (I know some people consider Indians Asian but whatever...). Hispanic women aren't bad looking either.
My parents always taught me it was wrong to dislike or like someone based simply on the color of their skin.

I have a schizophrenic view of having a girlfriend. On the one hand, I would love to have someone who loves me, and I can love that person. On the other hand, I am not an outgoing person, so finding a girlfriend is another factor in itself.

I lived in a place that was predominantly White. Most of the girls I had crushes on were White because those were the women I was around. I didn't think much of it at age 11 or 12. Similar case as you.

What race my first girlfriend might be, who knows?

My own personal view why many people are bothered by interracial marriage? Patriarchal views on race and the fact that for some people, it upsets their view of normal. One must realize, in this nation, African-Americans have been vilified, especially since slavery ended. When slavery ended, the idea of Black people being "subservient" was a big part of the though process. In this institution of slavery, White women were upheld as everything "pure and beautiful" and Black men, vilified as "beast of burden, animals, savages, and the like". The idea of a Black man being with a White woman scared those who wanted to uphold the "racial hierarchy". This hatred of interracial marriage in the USA is rooted in slavery, where Black people were held as "the worst of the worst". Irony is, there are cases where Black slave women were raped by their masters. Attitudes like that have been passed down, albeit watered down and morphed into other things. I have actually met a few White females who have no problems with interracial dating/marriage, but their parents would disown them or do horrible things to them if they ever dated Black men.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:41 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,205,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadScribe View Post
Since you've already stated that you are part Native American, it's difficult to comprehend what you mean when you say it "would be fine as long as they stayed over there and we stayed over here."

How do you define white anyway? And why are you so concerned about this disappearance of any one "race"?

I myself veered off the course of the OP's original question. But as someone else pointed out, these issues (and your theories) may be better suited for another thread. Who knows, you may even find some like-minded engagement by going elsewhere.

I know I tend to speak about people and genetics in the form of "races", but what I really mean to talk about is individual genes. Talking about genetics in the form of "groups" is an easier way for me to convey the information I am trying to present because it is easier to visualize a separation between groups by the already defined boundaries of race, and each races tendencies towards one path or another.

Look at it this way. What is the most important attribute for a human being? Is it height? Muscle definition? Ability to stay in the sun? Or endure the cold? No, it is none of those things. The only thing that really matters in human beings is intelligence(and to a large extent beauty), intelligence is by far the largest determinant to success and thusly your socio-economic status.

But just for the sake of setting an example, lets pretend for a minute that instead of intelligence, the most important factor for your personal success was your height. So using that example we can look again at the four "races" Europeans, africans, asians, native-americans). We can already see pretty well which of these groups will be more successful and which ones will be less successful. It would go something like, whites > blacks > native americans > asians.

But, we also know that not all Asians are short and not all Europeans are tall. So even though Asians were generally the shortest, there will be some very successful asians(yao ming). And in this example, society allows interracial marriages. Knowing what we know about height determining success. As a general rule, would you want your white or black daughter marrying an Asian man? On the other hand, if you were Asian, would you want your daughter marrying a white or black man?

If you start creating rules for your daughter about what is the minimum height of the man you will allow her to marry(because you want her to be happy), instead of allowing her to marry for "love". Then what prevents you from wanting to extend that rule on to the rest of your family, your friends, and your community? If you know that height is the determinant for success and that Asians are generally short, what prevents you from wanting to block interracial marriages between whites(you), and asians? You might even begin saying crazy things like, you will only allow interracial marriages between asians and whites if the asian is above a certain height(disregarding the fact that many whites are also very short). What would that minimum be? Would everyone agree on it? What about the people below that height? Are they just screwed?

And on top of that, what if Asians(the shortest people), also had far more children than everyone else, and were immigrating in extremely large numbers into this country. And when certain people from this country began making comments above how short the Asians were. And began discriminating them, trying to send them back home, attacking them, or even killing them for no reasons. These egalitarians came along and started talking about how Asians weren't shorter than anyone else(even though everyone knows better), and put a poster of Yao Ming next to every reference to Asians being short, claiming that we are all humans and we all carry the same genes, so how could Asians be shorter than us?

Then any previous or recent study done showing Asians were short was claimed to be biased, unscientific, and racist. And any government recording of height was suppressed or wasn't allowed to contain race. And then, even if very reputable people came out saying that Asians were short, these egalitarians claimed that height was mostly environmental. So since Asians tend to eat different types of food than Europeans, that would explain why Asians are shorter. Then all of the sudden, there would be these studies of Asians raised in white homes where the Asian was just as tall as other white children. And any public official or business or scientist that even said the word height, would immediately be called a racist. And would either lose their research funding, have their business boycotted, or be asked to step down from their public office.

And any person in the "21st century" who doesn't support Asian and white interracial marriage is branded as some sort of hate-mongering, uneducated, unscientific bigot.

Does it start to make sense to you the ridiculousness of the whole situation? Do you begin to understand why certain people(like myself), worry about these kinds of things? Do you see why "race" is still an issue that just won't go away?

But like you said, what is race anyway? It is impossible to really define what race is, but it is very easy to define what race isn't. A black or asian man could never be confused as a European. But, it is difficult to define the limits of what white is. If you tried to make it a certain skin-color then at some point there will be a family where half its members would be white and half wouldn't be white. In the case of Spaniards, many of them are very dark, and it is difficult to really tell them apart from many North Africans and middle-easterners.

Scientists have given up trying to define what race is or isn't because trying to create some absolute breaking point from one group to another is almost impossible. But that doesn't mean that it is impossible to tell groups apart. There is just no absolute difference from one group to another that allows a specific definition.

Remember when I was talking about humans and how the definition of what a human is or isn't has to start from some point-in-time. So it could be said with clarity, that at some point a human was birthed by a non-human(by definition). But how is that possible? How much different can one parent be from their children? The answer is, not very different at all. There has been a very slow evolution of humans over time. Just like current humans it is impossible to define what humans are by a single gene. If you said humans are only human at this certain point because of a gene mutation. Then the parents of the first human, the siblings of the first human, and even possibly some of the children and grandchildren of the first human, would have to be considered to not be human.

That is the problem when it comes to humans and neanderthals. Some people will say neanderthals are human, some people will say neanderthals are not human. Neanderthals broke apart from Africa in the very same way that modern-day Europeans broke away from Africa. They had very little contact, and most of the "mixing" would have happened mostly in North Africa and the middle-east. Most Neanderthals were separated from what is now modern humans long enough for them to become very unique from each other. Which is why they are generally referred to as different species.

If modern-day Europeans had stayed separated from Africans twice as long as they were(as in, we progressed much more slowly into civilizations and technology), then by the time Europeans and Africans met again, they would be far more different from each other than they even are today.

So the question then becomes, how do we really define humans? If neanderthals were still alive today, would we say they were human? Or would we use them as slaves and treat them like cattle? If we can create a definition of humans as only being a human if they carry a certain gene. Then who decides what that one gene is?

The truth is, if Neanderthals were still alive today, I can guarantee that they would be deemed humans and given the same rights as everyone else. There is already a huge ethical debate brewing about whether or not we should "clone" neanderthals.

So do you start to understand why this debate isn't as simple as it seems? Do you understand that there really are two sides to this story? And that everyone who opposes interracial marriage isn't just some hate-filled bigot?

Last edited by Redshadowz; 02-16-2010 at 09:57 PM..

Old 02-17-2010, 09:51 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,050,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
And that everyone who opposes interracial marriage isn't just some hate-filled bigot?
You've made some interesting points, but you haven't yet raised any issue that validates opposition to interracial marriage.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:05 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,318,848 times
Gosh Red, get out much?

Old 02-17-2010, 05:19 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,439,973 times
My Gosh isn't there too many of these threads. Enough already. No most people don't care, because what any 2 people do with their own life, is there own business, and no one else. No problem at all, in these times 2010 i feel there are much more important issues, to worry about then a Interacial Couple, that have every right, to be with whom they want. And those that do, i feel are the racists themselves. Now i can understand the Heritage issue, that some want to marry within their own heritage that is also understandable. But what ever any couple wants to do, is their own business, and no one else, unless there is a issue, with abuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies