Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2010, 06:03 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,300,392 times

Advertisements

Point blank, if you don't talk about it, the **** just bubbles under the surface, and somebody usually gets ****ed up anyways.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:13 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,653,706 times
A person should be able to have a relationship with any person that they want to have a relationship with.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:58 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,729,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
Point blank, if you don't talk about it, the **** just bubbles under the surface, and somebody usually gets ****ed up anyways.
The only ones who have a reason to talk about it are people who actually are in a mixed-race relationship, and they talk about it with each other and with their families. All the other people talking about it, well, it's none of their business. It's like the pope talking about sex and marriage

Old 07-03-2010, 10:52 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,201,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I don't understand how people can get so obsessed with this issue. Since all humans living today are genetically compatible, mixing is just a matter of opportunity and mindset. Any healthy man on this planet can have a healthy child with any healthy woman on this planet. Be it a Bushman with an Eskimo, a Tibetan with a Yoruba, or a Cherokee with a Tamil....
Adaptations to local challenges are not irreversible. For instance, black people living in Britain for many generations will probably become lighter-skinned again (based on their genes) so as to compensate for the weaker sunlight.

Get a life, it is over so fast. Why waste it on such issues unless you get paid for it the way researchers do

Scientists say around 10% of all animals on earth can potentially hybridize with other animal species.

Hybrid (biology) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most hybridized animals are sick or sterile, because of the incompatibilities between the two very different species. But there are quite a few species that can mate and produce viable offspring.

The best examples of this are the Wolf, Coyotes, Jackals, Dingoes, and domestic dogs. Each one of them can hybridize with one another with no issue. And the genetic distance between wolves and jackals is far greater than the genetic distance of humans with each other.

If you went by your logic, then Cows and Bison(which produce beefalo) would also be the same species. And until recently they weren't even categorized as being in the same genus as each other. Cows and Bison are in the same sub-family as each other. If it makes it clear to you what that means. Humans, gorilla's, and Chimpanzees are all in the same sub-family as each other. So should cows and Bison be considered the same species? What species is a cow/bison hybrid? What if it was 3/4ths cow? 7/8ths cow? 15/16ths cow? Should cows and bison be considered the same species? They are no more related to each other as humans are related to chimpanzees. So what if humans could mate with chimps? Would that mean that humans and chimps are all the same species?

Imagine if Wolves, Coyotes, Jackals, Dingoes, and dogs were able to travel long distances and had the same viewpoint as humans. They would mix until there are no more wolves, Coyotes, jackals, dingoes, and dogs. Their entire group would end up just being called canids or just dogs. And all the genetic specialization of each group would be lost.

I don't think you understand how genes actually work. Blacks would never get anything remotely close to Caucasian skin just by living in Britain. And Europeans won't get black skin if they move to Africa. Why?

You have to understand how skin pigment works. Skin is caused by four to six genes and multiple alleles. Eventual skin color is caused by melanin production, which is controlled by the genes you carry for skin color.

The Genetics of Human Skin Color: Caucasians Are Fair-Skinned Because of the Golden Gene (http://genetics.suite101.com/article.cfm/the_genetics_of_human_skin_color - broken link)

"The golden gene comes in at least two forms in people—light and dark. Europeans tend to have two light versions while everyone else has two dark ones. Having two copies of the light version of the golden gene is a big reason why many Europeans have lighter skin."

Basically, Europeans are the color they are because they carry two copies of the light version of that gene, and outside of hybridizing with people who are not European. They would forever have the light version of the golden gene, regardless of where they live. And Africans won't just get the golden gene, unless they hybridize with Europeans.

It is now understood that humans and neanderthals mixed in the middle-east. Neanderthals were lightly complected. Is this where non-africans got their light skin pigments?

How peoples skin color can vary over time, is that there are multiple skin color genes and alleles. There are alleles for light and dark, and even for different colors, such as red and black. A persons skin color is basically a product of the combination of all of these genes in sequence. Kind of like if you mixed 10 colors of equal parts in a bowl. White, white, black, red, red, yellow, yellow, white, white. What color would you get? Probably a slightly dull golden/pinkish color.

But what if it was just all black? You would get black.

What happens in Europe is that it is fairly rare that someone would just carry "all white" genes in every skin color gene location. So if pairings between people who carried other color genes in different spots were to match up, eventually, there might be enough black or red genes that lined up, and you could eventually have an all-black person again. But that is only true if at least one person in Europe carries one of each black gene in one of their gene color locations. If every single European had no dark genes at all, then they could never have dark genes. And a large number of northern Europeans have absolutely no dark genes at all. And most sub-saharan Africans have no white genes at all(or at least, didn't before Europeans got there).

To further explain it. Blue eyes, green eyes, and brown eyes aren't quite as simple as you think. Otherwise all blue eyed people would have the exact same color eyes. But obviously there are multiple shades of blue eyes. Green eyes isn't even on the same genes\ as blue eyes and brown eyes. Blue eyes was a genetic mutation that causes melanin production in the eye to be partially turned off. But, there are many other genes that control pigment production in the eye. Which is why you also have green eyes, and hazel eyes, and different shades of all those colors.

But, even with multiple genes controlling eye color. We know that if two blue eyed people get together, they will have a blue eyed baby. It would be rather simple to create an entire society of only blue eyed people, in which it would never be possible for them to change their eye colors. Regardless of where they lived in the world. Because the gene diversity just isn't there, it would be lost forever. Unless a random gene mutation(which usually takes thousands of years, and could actual appear and disappear without taking hold in a population) was to bring a new eye color. But that could take hundreds of thousands of years, or it could potentially just never happen.

The truth is, a group like the Irish or the Scots, who have a very high percentage of red hair. If left alone for a long enough period of time. Could have completely lost the genes for all hair colors other than red. And in the same way, most other populations on earth carry absolutely zero red-hair genes. So, if red hair was to completely disappear. It would basically never ever come back.

Did I mention that there is genetic proof that many neanderthals had red hair? Which is most likely where red hair in humans came from.

I would almost guarantee that places like the British Isles used to have a much higher percentage of redheaded people. And their red-headed gene pool has slowly become more and more dilluted by groups like the Romans, and the Normans(French). With the massive influx of foreigners(especially from non-European nations) into Ireland and England in recent years. There is a very real possibility that red-headedness could completely die off in the relatively near future. And once it is gone, it is gone forever.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:03 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,006,208 times
red if you shortened your posts maybe more people would read them

Old 07-03-2010, 11:19 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,729,600 times
@Redshadowz

I know all that, I just don't see your point. You seem to be wishing to retain the differences there are between humans, even if they no longer live apart from each other in isolation, but in the very same cities etc.
I just think that is an outdated way of thinking, especially since humans CAN mix any way they want without biological problems, infertility etc.

I have noticed over the years that it is mainly people who source their pride and self-confidence from belonging to one group or another rather than from their own achievements, who want to retain differences and clear lines between human groups.

Old 07-03-2010, 03:32 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,667,757 times
Quote:
It's 2010 people, and times have changed; I must admit, but does an interracial relationship still ring "TABOO" and in our minds. I know sometimes I'll see an interracial couple and I feel like they're looking at me to see if I disapprove, or is it just in my head?. I have no problem with interracial relationships, but I'm curious if most of the public still does have a problem. So I want to know people of City-Data, how do you feel? Please let me see your opinions.. White men with Black Women, Black Men with White Women. Asian Men with White Women/vice versa.. Hispanic Men and Black Women ... you get my point.. let me know how you feel?

I'm in a 26 yr. interracial marriage with 4 children ages 18-24. I can tell you that if you are the type to care what people think, this type of relationship is not for you.
Only you can answer whether or not you are subconsciously observing interracial couples differently than any other couple.

Possibilities:

Your statements suggest you may feel uncomfortable because, 1) you are taking mental notes and noticing differences between the two of them, and 2) you imagine they are awaiting signs of disapproval from you.

Perhaps they are looking at you oddly because they detect you are uncomfortable, or that you are staring excessively, or something. Perhaps your looks stem from innocent curiosity, but even those looks can be a little disconcerting for an interracial couple.

On the other hand, some interracial couples may be experiencing self-doubt and are sensitive to disapproval. It is entirely possible that you are reading them correctly - that they may be uncomfortable until they sense your approval. My spouse and I are not like this and I don't know any other interracial couples like this, but I don't discount the possibility that some exist.

As for our society:

Quote:
It's 2010 people, and times have changed; I must admit, but does an interracial relationship still ring "TABOO" and in our minds.
Where in the world, including America, does any group - ethnicity, nationality, religion, skin color, etc., promote dating/marriage outside of these groups? None that I know. Generally it is taboo to some extent in all these groups.

But Americans are supposed to be better than this, right?

Here is an example of how close-minded American society is:

Quote:
One Drop Rule

The one-drop rule is a historical colloquial term in the United States for the social classification as black of individuals with any African ancestry; it is an example of hypodescent, the automatic assignment of children of a mixed union between different socioeconomic or ethnic groups to the group with the lower status.

One-drop rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
IOW, children of black/white couples, for example, are assigned "Black" by many in our society.

This is not something just from our past. Our most famous bi-racial person, Barack Obama, is assigned to the group with American society's lower status. How openminded is this? Clearly, American society hasn't changed much. Why do so many Americans continue to follow the One Drop Rule?

If you see a "black man" instead of a "man" when you look at Obama, perhaps some serious self-examination is in order.

For one whole hour, Chris Matthews saw just a man instead of a black man saying, "I forgot he was Black for an hour." He quickly recovered and reverted back to his bigoted views. This bigotry is well-represented everywhere in America. You can only control your own views, but be honest with yourself. I find that most people prefer to fool themselves.

Old 07-03-2010, 03:41 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,667,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I am not for forced seggregation, but I do not agree for half a second that the government should be involved in trying to create equality, through force or propaganda.
Most humans self-segregate - especially those who pretend to be enlightened.

Quote:
If you want to marry a native-American woman, that is your choice. But the government should not be able to force me to accept your lifestyle if I disagree with it. And you and your wife should not receive any special priviledges.
I agree wholeheartedly. Special privileges suggest one group is superior - the other inferior.

Quote:
I would almost guarantee that places like the British Isles used to have a much higher percentage of redheaded people. And their red-headed gene pool has slowly become more and more dilluted by groups like the Romans, and the Normans(French). With the massive influx of foreigners(especially from non-European nations) into Ireland and England in recent years. There is a very real possibility that red-headedness could completely die off in the relatively near future. And once it is gone, it is gone forever.
I don't agree that preserving something like hair color is a good reason for inbreeding. In fact, I don't think there are any good reasons for inbreeding. I thought we as humans learned that a long time ago.

Old 07-03-2010, 04:02 PM

42 posts, read 69,692 times
i dont care about interracial couples but there's some interracial couples that are really annoying like they want everyone to mix. lol

Old 07-03-2010, 04:08 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
To tell you the truth ;I really never think about it. I am too busy running my own lfe to bother with someone elses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.