Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 01:25 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,013,167 times

Advertisements

Many agree that the Anti-war movement had significant impact on the length and perhaps even the outcome of the Vietnam war. 500,000,000 PEOPLE PROTESTED the Vietnam War.

Anti-war protests ended with the final withdrawal of troops after the Paris Peace Accords were signed in 1973.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 01:33 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,013,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Suicide is at an all time high period, why? who knows? maybe it is because we no longer hide the truth..

Nita
I'm talking about suicide rates among soldiers. It hasn't been this high since Vietnam. The truth is - it relates
to war.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:34 PM

418 posts, read 487,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I was an anti-war protester in the Korean War and Vietnam War and in Grenada and in Desert Storm and in Iraq/Afg and I still am. And I do not support the troops. The people who went did not have to go, they could have refused to go, but that would have required courage, to stand up and refuse, and face the consequences of doing so, and expose themselves to the direct point-blank fire of the real enemy, the military/industrial complex. The brave refused, the cowardly killed who they were told to kill, burning children alive with napalm if so ordered.

The necessary courage to stand up and say No, however, is an extreme measure of bravery, and I do not hold it against anyone for being unable to muster the courage to do so. In that sense, I support the troops, including my brother in law who is now totally disabled and living in poverty, after spending a few years fighting the Vietnamese and a few decades fighting the VA trying to squeeze the most fundamental of the promised benefits out of the batsards.

What is it about human beings, that docile farm boys from Iowa and Schleswig-Holstein can be so readily taught, in just a few weeks of brainwashing, to burn innocent children alive? I think it is because they are brought up, from early childhood, to place obedience to authority above human decency.
Being that most humans are brainwashed, I rarely see people take this position, but I agree with you 100%.

I wonder how many chicken-hawks have suffered PTSD. I doubt any of them have been fired at or have killed anyone.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:46 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,949,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I have no clue where you get you information, but it's bogus, OP.
You don't really want to go trolling, do you?

I protested the war, as did numerous veterans.
Ever hear about Vietnam Veterans Against the War?

Maybe it's who you're talking to or your selective memory.

Please speak for yourself.
You do not speak for me.

Whats better that our generation did? In general?

Not much. Maybe you are a little different, maybe your not. I sure don't know.

I raised a son since back then, and he is a little different, and I haven't cut my hair or sold out.

Neither you nor I will stop the Fedral Govt from much. Look at the violation to the CONS done by the Feds alone not to mention a lot of others, like media. The feds are the enemy, and today we have nothing but a bunch of looser clowns with chit-cago poly tics running the game.

The infrastucture is a royal mess, we are trapped yet again in 2 wars we might not win, and for exactly what?

My son will be on the 'Beach' or in the Sand Box' in April, and I wish I was young enough to sign up.

There is a lot of things I wish. One of them is you take a look at our generation. Nothin but a bunch of money moners with short hair cuts. The ilk of John Kerry, both Klintons, Pelosi, Shumer, Bush and more.

I am sick of Americans getting killed for the greed these monger peaceniks gain. This very greed is killing our country.

If we don't get back to the CONS it will be gone, and once a thing is historicly gone it never comes back.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:48 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,908,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
Wow, how naive of you some 45 years later to think that all drafted 18 year old males had the means to stand up to their country and not serve. .
Eighteen year olds have the means to do whatever they want. Unless they are making mortgage payments on a house, are making payments on a new car, have years of seniority in their career, have outstanding college loans, and have kids in college. There weren't many of those then.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:50 PM

11,755 posts, read 14,639,672 times
I served.

Like millions of others I served our country and humanity by protesting the war, and the current war in Iraq.

We were successful in our efforts to bring an end to the Vietnam war. We have not yet been successful with regard to Iraq or Afghanistan.

Oh yes, and that claim about protesters spitting on American soldiers as they returned from Vietnam? It's a lie.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:53 PM

8,874 posts, read 5,361,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I served.

Like millions of others I served our country and humanity by protesting the war, and the current war in Iraq.

We were successful in our efforts to bring an end to the Vietnam war. We have not yet been successful with regard to Iraq or Afghanistan.

Oh yes, and that claim about protesters spitting on American soldiers as they returned from Vietnam? It's a lie.
A lie? More like an attempt to re-write history.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Eighteen year olds have the means to do whatever they want. Unless they are making mortgage payments on a house, are making payments on a new car, have years of seniority in their career, have outstanding college loans, and have kids in college. There weren't many of those then.
I am sorry that isn't true. back then there was a draft. My number IS 36.

To get out, you had to be 4F which is medical, then there was married deferment, college deferment, and the last was Canada deferment, but you couldn't come back. The dead last was a vacation in club Fed.

Getting out on moral grounds wasn't anything like easy.

So lets see, just how would an 18 year old getting maybe $0.65 cents an hour back then, get out and still be legal?

Please note it appears as you may be playing devil's advocate, so don't go and get yer panties in a bunch. I just can't tell.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I served.

Well to you it may be a lie, but to others it is very debatable.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:34 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,169,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Well to you it may be a lie, but to others it is very debatable.
That's not debatable it either happened or it didn't. In this case it didn't
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies