Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 06:23 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Suicide is at an all time high period, why? who knows? maybe it is because we no longer hide the truth..

Nita
Or maybe because we feed them a slew of prescription drugs which are known to increase suicidal behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Well to you it may be a lie, but to others it is very debatable.
On another board, I got into a rather heated argument about this. Turns out, most of what some were claiming to be "spit on" was nothing more than some jerks who spit on the floor or turned their backs or something like that. Those who say it didn't happen take "spit on" literally. Those who said it did happen take it figuratively.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:42 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw144 View Post
Which is the real discussion that should be had, the drug abuse that started in Nam. You people complain that America did not welcome the soldiers back. In many cases that was their own parents that did not accept them. You see mom and dad sent little blond haired blue eyed Billy off to war. What they got back was a drug addict that couldn't pump enough chemical into himself to stay happy.
The Government wasn't going to admit that there were more drugs in Nam than there was at Berkeley. So they just shut there eyes hoped that the Nam vets would go away.
Some cleaned themselves up and had not to bad of life. Others well Viet Nam Killed them, their names just won't be on any wall.
Not to sure I follow this Jim... Drugs were around and a problem long before 1964. I grew up around Boston, and everybody was into assorted drugs there. I knew cops you could buy coke and the evil weed from when I was 14 years old.

Doctors prescribed so-called legal drugs like candy to anyone who asked.

Long before, during and somewhat after i to got High high high, but i was far from alone, as well as most females I knew we as high high high too.

So I am not too sure what parents were doing. I should have gone sooner, but didn't want to. I made it from 2 more years of 18 years of schoolin' then failed to hit the day shift. Oops

But everybody including my very own pediatrician was on drugs. He was on heroine and got busted before i was 10, which would be around 1961. But then he was a old bald duffer of a pediatrician, and I was that blonde blue eyed kid you mentioned.

I would just about bet money most of the new mothers, my mother knew were all high high high in the mid 50's too.

Mother's Little helper's very popular with that crowd. Much before that i wouldn't know because i wasn't there, but I seem to recall problems from reading books. Then laudanum was cheaper than a bottle of gin, in the 30's there was that ol' evil weed just poppin outta the ground too, and every generation had it problems with drugs going way back in time.

Not much new or news worthy if you were to ask me.

Jim, That term 'You people'... ya just might want to be very carefull where you would say that on the street. Not that I would do a thing myself if you were to say that to my face, but there is a gob of folks who would put the boots to anyone who said those words today. Say you used that term in Kansas City Ms, thar's no telling if what was left of you just might fit in a kleenx box..

Old 02-14-2010, 07:16 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
500 advisors only, a whole different thing.

Thank you for being civil too.

Yes, I know it was advisors but it started our involvement. I sometimes wonder what if we'd just allowed them to have their own civil war, no outsiders allowed?

Or if Kennedy had lived? There's pretty good documentation that early on he'd already started seeing the folly of fighting someone else's war.

I hope we'd at least learned something from that war but often it seems not.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:22 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
The Government wasn't going to admit that there were more drugs in Nam than there was at Berkeley. So they just shut there eyes hoped that the Nam vets would go away.
Some cleaned themselves up and had not to bad of life. Others well Viet Nam Killed them, their names just won't be on any wall.

That's not all they're not going to admit. A high school classmate of mine died in his 40s from what most of his caregivers attributed to Agent Orange exposure. His 30 something son took his own life, unable to cope with chronic problems most also attributed to defects passed on due to Agent Orange exposure. Last I heard those names won't be on any wall either but they'll always be in my heart.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:31 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I served.

Like millions of others I served our country and humanity by protesting the war, and the current war in Iraq.

We were successful in our efforts to bring an end to the Vietnam war. We have not yet been successful with regard to Iraq or Afghanistan.

Oh yes, and that claim about protesters spitting on American soldiers as they returned from Vietnam? It's a lie.
I lived through that area and served my country honorable ( drafted in 1965)

Want me to tell you a few personal stories that I witnessed about the treatment of servicemen by people against the war ?

Old 02-14-2010, 07:33 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
Quote:
Let me guess it happened to your sisters cousin's husband's brother's girlfriend's neighbour's mom. That about right.

No, to me and my best friend !

Old 02-14-2010, 07:38 PM

631 posts, read 1,290,699 times
As someone who wasn't alive at that time, I've always been baffled at why people would scorn soldiers who were drafted into a war that they didn't want to be in. Why weren't they scorning the politicians??

Old 02-14-2010, 07:40 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
As an American and a patriot I can't believe anyone would make such a statement. I may not always agree with what is going on, I might have mixed feelings, but to say a young person who is willing to sacrifice his or her life for our country should be scorned is a shame.
Nita
They aren't sacrificing anything for our country. They are sacrificing (as well as killing) for the collection of goons and thugs in Washington. And yes, anyone that gullible deserves scorn.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA-Jsn20 View Post
As someone who wasn't alive at that time, I've always been baffled at why people would scorn soldiers who were drafted into a war that they didn't want to be in. Why weren't they scorning the politicians??
Be clear -- not everyone who fought in Vietnam was drafted. Many, many enlisted.

There were some who were less that civil to military personnel, but the politicians were scorned. Johnson knew he wouldn't be reelected and it was because of Vietnam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies