Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should a license be required in order to own a gun?
Yes 41 37.61%
No 65 59.63%
Not sure 3 2.75%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 09:30 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,421,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
Please,no more legal seminar style comments...

I'm sorry, is reality bothering you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 09:44 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,060 times
If they take away people's guns, only the criminals and the terrorists will have them.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:47 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
If they take away people's guns, only the criminals and the terrorists will have them.

and the goverment......oh right, you already said criminals and terrorists.

sorry

Old 02-17-2010, 01:09 AM

15,072 posts, read 8,629,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Are you saying a permit is never needed?
Are you asking me if I think one is ever called for, or if the requirement to get one is ever demanded by the authorities? i don't think one should be required. I think the right to freedom of speech and freedom to peacefully assemble are rights .. not privileges, and therefore permission is not required. At the same time, we are also required, as citizens to behave in a manner that does not damage the rights of our fellow citizens in exercising our rights ... such as blocking the flow of traffic, or disrupting businesses. In such instances, the police would be justified in redirecting the protests so that those problems would be remedied, or disband the protestors if they refused to respect those instructions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And yet, you likely support restrictions on the criminally insane. No?
I thought I was pretty clear about this in my previous posts ... did you not read them ... or is your question rhetorical?

I would prefer that the criminally insane be removed from the streets ... by virtue of them being criminals with mental disease. But let me ask YOU ... would you advocate forcing everyone to undergo a psychiatric evaluation to ensure we identify the criminally insane in order to get them off the streets?

You probably don't get the analogy, so I'd better explain. I don't advocate restrictions and licensing requirements for everyone, in order to prevent a small minority of undesirables from getting a firearm through regular channels. The criminals and crazies will find a source for such a weapon, be it a firearm or something else if they are determined to do harm ... so, such restrictions do little except punish law abiding citizens, and sets a precedent for further violations of that right.

It all starts with limiting gun sales to those declared insane ... and felons ... then it's anyone who ever received counseling ... then anyone arrested for DWI ... then anyone arrested for anything ... bad credit? No gun. Bankruptcy ... no gun. You know the old saying .. the road to hell is paved with good intentions?

But don't take my word for any of this ... lets take the word of people who might actually have the power and desire to push such violations ...

Former Attorney General, Janet Reno said "Waiting periods are only a step. Registration is only a step. The prohibition of private firearms is the goal."

This is the Janet Reno that employed the heavy hand at Waco Texas. And her former Deputy Attorney General was Eric Holder, our new Attorney General who is just as anti-gun as was Reno.

Don't even bother trying to rebut this .. or make light of the matter. These people are criminals, and want to ban firearms altogether. And each one of these "common sense restrictions and limitations" is just another step in that direction.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:13 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,487,476 times
Any link to check if Reno really said that ...?

Old 02-19-2010, 01:54 PM

15,072 posts, read 8,629,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
Any link to check if Reno really said that ...?
see Google ... search the statement, you'll get plenty of links.

Why everyone does this is beyond me ... now, if you don't find any reference to this, or live in China where information is blocked, then asking for a source is a legitimate request.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:14 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,421,033 times
You'll get plenty of links from fringe, right-wing nutter sites.

Not a single legit news source in the first 5 pages of Google search results.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:30 PM

159 posts, read 406,929 times
Gun ownership is not an inherent human right, and, therefore, may be regulated.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:41 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,303,767 times
Why do you need a liscense? Ideally, so that unstable people or criminals can't get ahold of them. Very simple to me...

Old 03-25-2010, 07:51 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Arizona is poised to enact legislation, that our Governor will sign, that would allow Arizonians to carry a concealed weapon WITHOUT A PERMIT - making it one of 3 states in the US to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies