Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should a license be required in order to own a gun?
Yes 41 37.61%
No 65 59.63%
Not sure 3 2.75%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 11:59 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,877,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
"ownership being right" does not mean everybody. some folks should not even be loose much less armed.
Absolutely. That's why we have the NICS system to check if a purchaser has a criminal or mental record. If not, he or she should be able to purchase the gun of their choice with no license needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 11:59 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,486,556 times
Mohawk got it right...

Hardcore "2nd Amendmentists " , as I call them,do more harm than good in our cause...

U have to go to AZ to get open carry & then ...half the area of a city is a no-gun zone...

We need to focus on our targets & make whatever consents are nesssecary to achieve them...

Old 02-14-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okccowboy View Post
How does requiring a license prevent you from owning a gun? Unless you're a felon.
In NY State if you do not have a license, you cannot own a handgun. In NYC if you do not have a license, you cannot own any gun.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:03 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIA1 View Post
And I would live in England ten times faster then this sinking scum boat. At least they take care of people with national health care, as long as a red neck has a PBR and a gun and a free hand to rub one off while watching NASCAR they are happy one tooth and all.
Go. Don't let the door hit you on the arse on your way out. Your posts are disgusting and insulting.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIA1 View Post
The government has the right to regulate even the bill of rights. These are not absolute rights, if they were than the government could not restrict fellons from getting a gun as soon as they were out of prision or if you take thinks as far as you people seem to want to a person in prison would have to be able to carry a gun. You people run on emotion and make facts up.
Wrong. The Gov. has no rights. The People have rights. The Gov. has powers that have gotten out of control and are not Constitutional. This needs to change. We have over 20,000 laws to stop criminals from getting guns. They do not work. There is the NICS system in place to check backgrounds. That is all we need. Nothing made up or emotion here, simply fact.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:12 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
At least the NOs went down to 60%...

A gun is incompearable to a tv set or cellphone...

Really? How so? A gun in our family is a form of entertainment, in that we enjoy pheasant hunting and target shooting. If you enjoy movies, I do not compel you to get a license to make sure you that what you are watching is appropriate. Nor do I want your cell phone licensed such that I can monitor your conversations and make sure they are okay and consistent with what the rest of the population thinks. I would offer (I know what you are thinking), that I could just as easily injure you by beating you about the head with your television as I could with a gun. I am sure that would be true of a golf club or a hockey stick, but I don't have to register either my golf clubs or the kid's hockey sticks.

It appears as though, with regard to guns, that there is something that is particularly bothering YOU. Perhaps you could keep your personal anxieties private, participate in the recreational activities that appeal to you, and leave the rest of us alone to live our lives as we see fit.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
It appears as though, with regard to guns, that there is something that is particularly bothering YOU. Perhaps you could keep your personal anxieties private, participate in the recreational activities that appeal to you, and leave the rest of us alone to live our lives as we see fit.
Most anti-gun folks are well meaning, I believe, but they are holophobes. They have an unreasonable fear of weapons due to ignorance of such weapons for the most part.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:20 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,090,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Because no right is absolute.
All rights granted to us by the Constitution ARE ABSOLUTE within the framework of interactions by the Government and it's citizens.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:33 PM

187 posts, read 351,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
The Second Amendment gives us this right and no license should be required. Do you need a license to utilize your First Amendment rights? NO. ANY other right? NO! Why should the Second be any different.

And the crap about needing a license to gather in large numbers to speak is BS. That is not a license to use your right to Free Speech, it's a license to assamble the people together, not the speech that's licensed.
You need a license to assemble a group in a public place to exercise your first amendment rights. You need a business license to run a newspaper. The same first amendment that guarantees the right to speech guarantees the right to assembly. You need a permit.

Suck it up. It's settled law

Last edited by DCSailor; 02-14-2010 at 12:53 PM..

Old 02-14-2010, 12:49 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCSailor View Post
You need a license to assemble a group in a public place to exercise your first amendment rights. You need a business license to run a newspaper. The same first amendment that guarantees the right to speech guarantees the right to assembly. You need a permit.

Such it up. It's settled law
Under that arguement licenses would only be required for "gatherings" of gun owners.

Really absurd that people advocate for the taxation and licensing away of their inherent rights by a government who has no ownership of those rights.

I guess some people just choose to be controlled rather than a free people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies