Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 09:44 AM

1,862 posts, read 2,384,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudvoterofObama View Post
But, weren't they responsible? Did their dogs ever harm you or your dog? Seems like you were being the aggressive one by threatening them...
Given that it's actually against the law to not have your dog on a leash... and that in my opinion you cannot guarantee how your dog will act at all times.... then no, I would say that they were not responsible owners. As a matter of fact, in this case, I would say that they were selfish (they didn't care how others felt) and arrogant ("of course I know better than you') in addition to being irresponsible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 09:46 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,435,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post

Poodles don't kill innocent children and the elderly. Pit bulls do that. It doesn't ruin my day if an animal gets attacked by a pit bull. It would be nice if pit bull owners had enough sense to get a different breed of dog, but that isn't to be because people who are drawn to these animals are mentally defective.
You mean people like this, whose family pit bull literally saved their lives by dragging their baby's bassinet to the door when their house caught fire, calling their attention to the emergency?

Family says dog tried to pull baby out of burning home (http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/Red-Cross-Family-dog-tried-to-pull-baby-out-of-burning-home-98024604.html#idc-cover - broken link)

"It sounds like the real hero here is the family pit bull,” said Frank Connolly, assistant executive director of the Elkhart County Red Cross. “Apparently ‘Thor’ woke the family up and even tried to pull the baby and bassinet out of the house. Lately we have learned how important pets can be to a family, and this is as stark an example as I’ve ever seen.”

The family says Thor barked and jumped on them until they woke up. Then he grabbed the baby's bassinet and dragged it to the front door."

Those people are "mentally defective"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post

I know lots of pitt bulls, I do pet service and plenty of them are just as sweet as they can be and are not aggressive at all
Cocker Spaniels are more likely to bite than a pitt bull
So are dachshunds. We had one for 15 years while I was growing up. We loved him to pieces, but they can be mean, even unprovoked.

"Britain's respected Daily Telegraph reports that Dachshunds topped a list of 33 breeds which were rated for their aggression, after academics analysed the behaviour of thousands of dogs."

Dachshunds rated most aggressive dogs

But I don't see anyone advocating the extermination of dachshunds.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:46 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,534,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
"""" He loves people, and he loves some dogs, but you can just never tell. """"

""""He wouldn't let anyone get around him without making sure they weren't going to hurt him"""

And if the dog PERCEIVED someone was going to hurt him....a friend tickling the kid, another kid smacking him or roughhousing with him........then what?

The friend and the other kid should be maimed or killed for that behaviour??? REALLY!????
Haha, no. He never bit anyone. Honestly, I don't even think he would've attacked an intruder. He would just stay close by my son all the time. Making sure he was okay. Haha - geeze I really needed a good laugh today.
If any other kid smacked my kid, I would kill him myself. No need for the dog to interefere.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:56 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,613,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Rachael Ray fears she may have to put her beloved pit bull to sleep. Isaboo, a frequent guest on Ray's talk show, has been attacking other dogs while on walks and becomes aggressive even on a leash, Radar Online reports.

Rachael Ray May Have to Put Beloved Pit Bull to Sleep

Why exactly should I care about Raechel Ray's pitbull?

Old 08-13-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post

Why exactly should I care about Raechel Ray's pitbull?
Why exactly would you post in a thread about the subject if you don't care about it?

Old 08-13-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Why exactly would you post in a thread about the subject if you don't care about it?

I'm questioning why it is posted here. Is this a political issue or a "controversy"?

Her dog is violent and needs to be put down.

OK? Maybe get the dog whisperer to make a housecall? I don't know....this is a non-issue.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post

I'm questioning why it is posted here. Is this a political issue or a "controversy"?

Her dog is violent and needs to be put down.

OK? Maybe get the dog whisperer to make a housecall? I don't know....this is a non-issue.
Pit bull ownership is controversial, but I suspect you knew that already. If you're concerned about whether or not this is the right forum, report it to a moderator and suggest that it be moved. They may or may not agree with you. In the meantime, if it's such a non-issue to you, then perhaps you should stop making an issue out of it?

Old 08-13-2010, 10:10 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,246,617 times
Quote:
Poodles don't kill innocent children and the elderly. Pit bulls do that. It doesn't ruin my day if an animal gets attacked by a pit bull. It would be nice if pit bull owners had enough sense to get a different breed of dog, but that isn't to be because people who are drawn to these animals are mentally defective.
Whoa there, hoss. That's a mighty big brush stroke you're painted us with.

I have a Great Dane, and I have a resuced pit bull. In the three years I've had her not only has there been not even one incident of aggression, but there hasn't even been any indication she would ever be aggressive. I have more problems with pugs, and chihuahuas being aggressive to her at the dog park!! It ticked me off because if she were to defend herself against these little yappers she would end up being the bad dog simply due to her breed. Me being the way I am, I just tell the little dog owners to either get control of their dogs, because my dog will get the blame or I remind them of them there is a small dog side of the park. I'll defend my pit against them even if I go to fist city.

There are multiple pit bulls within two blocks of me. The owners take excellent care of their dogs and the dogs are not mean or aggressive. Would I enter the yard without the owner being out there? No. But I wouldn't enter any yard with a dog that may view me as a danger to their territory.

Last edited by Ecovlke; 08-13-2010 at 10:22 AM..

Old 08-13-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Pit bull ownership is controversial, but I suspect you knew that already. If you're concerned about whether or not this is the right forum, report it to a moderator and suggest that it be moved. They may or may not agree with you. In the meantime, if it's such a non-issue to you, then perhaps you should stop making an issue out of it?
I just asked one question and now you're the one continuing this.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:28 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,157 times
Quote:
This is just the type of ignorance that plagues our society. Taken on the words of a few, the many are misguided.

American Pit Bull Terrier, Pit Bulls, Pitbulls
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies