Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 04:01 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
A 250 pound 6ft. Iraq War Vet Mailman was attacked and almost killed in Minneapolis by two PitBulls.....HAPPILY the cops shot them DEAD !!! Owners have fines and may HOPEFULLY face jail time!!!!

People wonder what's happening to America??? When people put dogs and their own egos over HUMANS lives and safety , even over the lives of children....!!!!

There are over 700 breeds of dogs plus many more waiting to be adopted from shelters... so those who insist they own a pitbull to prove a point/boost their ego/show off/hide behind/scare others....have deep psychological problems...
what's your point? adults have been killed by other breeds as well

though I will say that any owner of ANY dog that attacks a person, regardless of the dog's breed, should face fines and possible jail time. this is where BSL often fail, in targeting a select few breeds instead of the problem all dangerous dogs share: bad owners

why do people spend thousands of dollars on yorkies? why do people jump through hoops to obtain a rare dog like Tibetan mastiff? why do people choose a bulldog over a lab? people's choices in dogs are always individual and no two breeds are alike. there are A LOT of breeds that are ill suited for families and even a few that aren't that people friendly. there are many breeds that would make far worse family pets than pit bulls.

and in case you forget or don't seem to understand, pit bulls have been trusted family pets for hundred of years before the recent (and it really is recent-do the research) surge in badly trained/bred and abused pits and gangbangers took interest in the breed. for the vast majority of people, it has nothing to do w/ "looking tough" (because, AGAIN, up until recently, the negative, tough dog image of the pit bull was nonexistent and such dogs were seen as simple family pets, like labs are today). it's about owning a breed that has long proven itself to be intelligent, brave, devoted, loving, and family friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 04:05 PM

720 posts, read 691,276 times
Well, an animal is an animal and will thus react with his animal instincts...If that animal hurts someone, then guess what he goes down. If he doesn't he lives. It is simple! Its not about breed, its not about training, it is an ANIMAL..

With that said, I currently own two adopted boxers, whose previous owner severely neglected them...and I love my pups and much as my kids. But I will never put them before human life, that is unless the human deserved it...

Old 08-13-2010, 04:11 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Top 10 Dog Breeds for Families

Do not see Pitt Bulls on the list and I cannot fathom if devotion and a good temperament is what you are looking for in a dog, why would a Pit Bull would be your choice, given what they were bred to do. There are underlying ego issues with this choice of a pet.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:11 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Poodles don't kill innocent children and the elderly. Pit bulls do that. It doesn't ruin my day if an animal gets attacked by a pit bull. It would be nice if pit bull owners had enough sense to get a different breed of dog, but that isn't to be because people who are drawn to these animals are mentally defective.
I would not say that if i were you, when my daughter was four years old, a poodle attacked my daughter and went for the kill, this dog tried to kill her, i hated that dang dog. So many little dogs are also known for attacking i know many mailmen. And not all pit bulls are attacking others, i know people who do have them, and some are so very sweet, hard to understand, but some are, know matter what breed the dog, you have to watch out, because dogs are animals, and you never know what might just set them off. I have alwyas had sweet dogs no matter the breed, but it is something i believe in the dogs personality.What kind of a comment is that, you do not care if a animal gets attacked by a pit bull, that is so uncompassionate.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Sorry, but my credibility does not rely on your opinion. You are missing the entire point. You have admitted that owners are not always responsible enough to raise or care for the breed. Since this is often the case, are we to assume that a lion can be tame enough when raised properly, but since not everyone is capable of raising them correctly in captivity, they are getting a bum rap and we should sell them in pet shops? Just as you assume that the sites that I provided are biased, please prove that your info is not. You did not address the physiological reason that was sited in my previous post. Genetics and DNA play a role in every form of beast. As another poster pointed out, the severity of the attack when inflicted by a Pitbull is horrific, which is why I stay far away from them when I spot them. I do not think that I am giving the dog a complex, as this insane denial by humans is proof enough that it is the owner of the dog that has issues.
and you STILL ignore several important facts that I and others are stated. I won't go over them again. and everything I said is out there to find, should you choose to educate yourself. you found the correct info that dispelled the lock jaw myth, keep digging and you'll find more truths.

and we're not talking about lions here, we're talking about a breed of domesticated dog, a breed that the VAST majority of people have and can raise properly for decades. very poor analogy

yes, the breed is getting a bum rap, that doesn't mean you eradicate the breed or continue to perpetuate it's negative rep w/ lies and myths.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:20 PM

17,416 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
and what's wrong w/ "protector" dogs? such dogs have existed since dogs were first domesticated. these are dogs that will often defend their family to the death. people have owned such dogs for hundreds of years. for many, many, many people, it has nothing to do w/ looking tough (what, do you accuse anyone w/ a sports car of trying to compensate for something? maybe they just prefer them over a Toyota). these are just very good breeds overall-friendly, protective, easily trained, sturdy, etc

I'd rather have a GSD, rottweiler, pit bull, or doberman as a family pet than a chihuahua or other "pampered" breed that were originally breed to do nothing but look cute (no offense to chi owners of course!).
I did say "some" people meaning not all people.

But apparently, I struck a nerve ... for um, whatever small reason ...

(I know you're a female, but I couldn't resist ...)

Old 08-13-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Top 10 Dog Breeds for Families

Do not see Pitt Bulls on the list and I cannot fathom if devotion and a good temperament is what you are looking for in a dog, why would a Pit Bull would be your choice, given what they were bred to do. There are underlying ego issues with this choice of a pet.
LOL, what sort of site is that? again w/ the questionable sites. I wouldn't place the shiba on that list at all. there are far better family pets out there. it's a wonderful breed, but it has its quirks that can make it ill suited for a family (for example, it's a hard breed to train and very independent minded).

according to ATTS testing, the pit bull breeds have scored as high (or HIGHER) as golden retrievers:

SHIBA INU 64.0%
AMERICAN STAFFORDSHIRE TERRIER 83.9%
GOLDEN RETRIEVER 84.6%
AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER 86.0%
STAFFORDSHIRE BULL TERRIER 89.6%
PUG 90.9%

I'd trust those results more than a random "hub pages" site

according to the AKC:

Right Breed for You?
The Am Staff is a people-oriented dog that thrives when he is made part of the family and given a job to do. Although friendly, this breed is loyal to his family and will protect them from any threat. His short coat is low-maintenance, but regular exercise and training is necessary.

Right Breed for You?
The Staffordshire Bull Terrier is extremely courageous and obedient, highly intelligent and affectionate with a sense of humor. This, coupled with its affection for its friends, and children in particular, its off-duty quietness and trustworthy stability, makes it a foremost all-purpose dog. He looks forward to daily exercise, and his powerful jaws enjoy a supply of sturdy chew toys. While he is a sweet-tempered, affectionate dog, his strength and determination require an experienced owner who can work with him in a firm, but gentle way. The Staffie’s coat is short and smooth, and needs only a quick brushing once a week.

American Kennel Club - American Staffordshire Terrier
American Kennel Club - Staffordshire Bull Terrier

Old 08-13-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I would not say that if i were you, when my daughter was four years old, a poodle attacked my daughter and went for the kill, this dog tried to kill her, i hated that dang dog. So many little dogs are also known for attacking i know many mailmen. And not all pit bulls are attacking others, i know people who do have them, and some are so very sweet, hard to understand, but some are, know matter what breed the dog, you have to watch out, because dogs are animals, and you never know what might just set them off. I have alwyas had sweet dogs no matter the breed, but it is something i believe in the dogs personality.What kind of a comment is that, you do not care if a animal gets attacked by a pit bull, that is so uncompassionate.
the #1 major problem w/ a lot of little dogs and why they can be such a dangerous menace is that people don't train them. people allow small dogs to get away w/ things larger dogs would likely be rehomed or put to sleep for. for example, people think it's SO CUTE when a little chihuahua growls and snaps b/c it's trying to act tough. if an 80lb dog did the same, people would be petrified. small dogs are often not taught basic good manners, such as heeling on a leash, not jumping on people, etc. I've volunteered at animal shelters and did my time as a volunteer vet tech, and small dogs are terrors and the only times I've come close to being bit were by small dogs, not large dogs and esp. not pits

sadly, w/ my experience w/ poodles, I don't know if I would ever go out of my way to own one. too many are ill bred, esp. mini and toy poodles. I would rather own a wolverine than a toy poodle

Old 08-13-2010, 04:47 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
Refuse to read 8 pages of @#$%....

..but.....

I'd bet most here don't know what a "real" pitbull is.

The American pitbull terrier is one of the most loyal, gentle, and intelligent breeds worldwide.

Period.

The Doberman breed got a bad wrap for a long time; still does.

For Pete's sake....it's just a hound dog.

Training and discipline make a good dog.

Period.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:48 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
the #1 major problem w/ a lot of little dogs and why they can be such a dangerous menace is that people don't train them. people allow small dogs to get away w/ things larger dogs would likely be rehomed or put to sleep for. for example, people think it's SO CUTE when a little chihuahua growls and snaps b/c it's trying to act tough. if an 80lb dog did the same, people would be petrified. small dogs are often not taught basic good manners, such as heeling on a leash, not jumping on people, etc. I've volunteered at animal shelters and did my time as a volunteer vet tech, and small dogs are terrors and the only times I've come close to being bit were by small dogs, not large dogs and esp. not pits

sadly, w/ my experience w/ poodles, I don't know if I would ever go out of my way to own one. too many are ill bred, esp. mini and toy poodles. I would rather own a wolverine than a toy poodle
humankind is fortunate that chihuahuas are little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies