Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 12:08 AM

621 posts, read 1,051,260 times

Advertisements

I love to recycle and understand your woes.

A few years ago, I was disappointed when I saw the garbage picked up and the contents of the recycling boxes thrown directly into the garbage.

I called, canceled my service and now pretty much live in my trash from time to time...but eventually I get my stuff dropped off in the community recycling bins.

It's more inconvenient, but I feel good about it.

We're going to give a good effort (better effort) on composting this year to reduce waste further, but we'll see if it turns out well, or turns into a bio-hazard...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 12:25 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,540,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
The question was meant to reflect on the people that built this country vs. your selfishness, not examples of pollution. Although it's not surprising you failed to look much deeper than computer monitor.
The people who built this country didn't worry about it--it didn't affect them, so they had a "devil may care" attitude about the whole thing.

Last edited by TKramar; 02-15-2010 at 12:41 AM..

Old 02-15-2010, 07:46 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,391,889 times
Recycling is a money maker.
Aluminum, paper & plastics
These are sold, not given away.

Our city has separate curb side rolling trashcans. One for the trash and one for all recyclables. They have to sort it, no separate aluminum/paper/plastic. Top of that, they have to ship it all 100 miles to the plant. We don't have one built locally.

We pay more in our bill because they are not breaking even in the deal, because of the cost to sort and ship it. Even if they built a recycling plant here, we would not see a financial benefit for 15 years, to pay for and employ it.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:32 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,774,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
Am I in the minority here? This bugs me!

There are 2 trash cans side by side. One is labelled: Aluminum cans only. The other is for regular trash.

I see people throw cans right into the regular trash.

I don't understand why something so simple to do can be beyond the ability of these people. I can only conclude that they just DON'T CARE.

These people operate the "out of sight, out of mind" mentality. They don't see the landfills so garbage doesn't exist. And they go ahead and produce as much unbiodegradable trash as they please, when they have EVERY opportunity to lessen the impact.

Do you recycle? Why don't you, if you don't? Remember, it's not about being left or right. One of the most devastating things INDUSTRIALISM has created for our country and the rest of the world is the lack of good soil to produce food.
I used to not recycle before my city adopted curbside pickup for recyclables. I only recycle because of this convenience, not because I feel any altruistic duty.

But I think the OP describes a problem that goes far deeper than whether or not one should recycle. One problem is the degradation of common courtesy. No matter what you feel about recycling, the community asks you to separate your garbage from your aluminum can. Why do people have to disrespect the wishes of a community, especially over trash? Save your fights for something of consequence, and stop being childish.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:03 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,869,022 times
People who don't recycle , are the same people that do not believe mankind can affect the environment, the same ones that shot several species into extenction and believe the planet is theirs to use and abuse as they see fit and to H*ll with leaving our children with a clean place to live.
Casper

Old 02-15-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
People who don't recycle , are the same people that do not believe mankind can affect the environment, the same ones that shot several species into extenction and believe the planet is theirs to use and abuse as they see fit and to H*ll with leaving our children with a clean place to live.
Casper
This is a sweeping generalization.

Is this assertion based on scientific study?

Old 02-15-2010, 11:09 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,869,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post
This is quote a sweeping generalization.

Personal experience.
Casper

Old 02-15-2010, 11:48 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,125,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
I know plenty of people who have CARS and don't bother.

What we really need is MANDATORY curbside recycling to replace regular garbage pickup. This means:

No garbage pickup UNLESS your garbage is pre-sorted.
You mean there are parts of the US that DON'T have curbside recycling??? I've had curbside recycling for the past 14 years, both here in Denver and in Orange County, CA. Maybe they don't have it where people are still allowed to smoke in restaurants lol!

Old 02-15-2010, 11:50 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,125,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post
This is a sweeping generalization.

I wouldn't paint all conservatives with the "don't recycle" brush, but I have known a couple conservative Republicans who refused to recycle because it was "for pansy, tree-hugging, hippie Democrats". They would proudly throw recyclables in the regular trash.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
You mean there are parts of the US that DON'T have curbside recycling??? I've had curbside recycling for the past 14 years, both here in Denver and in Orange County, CA. Maybe they don't have it where people are still allowed to smoke in restaurants lol!
There are a ton of rural communities throughout the US that don't have it.

Recycling centers are an investment for the communities they serve and though they can be profitable, in smaller communities the risk of losing money increases.

Many private companies are finding ways to make it work and so those smaller communities will eventually be served. It's just creeping along... chug -a -chug -a -chug

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies