Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 09:38 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I thought California required curb side recycling now (is that what La la land means? If not, sorry).

When we lived in California were required to separate our green waste, recycling, and garbage. We had 3 big cans. Here in Colorado we pay a few extra dollars/month for curb-side recycling, and always have more in that can than the garbage can.
Not all rental complexes have the curbside recycling as our trash is handled by a private waste management company. No containers for recycles are located anywhere on the premises. Don't have a car and the nearest facility is located two buses away so my stuff does not get recycled. If the manager decides to have recycling containers on the property, I will gladly place the appropriate stuff in them. Yes, I live in Los Angeles County, CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Thanks! It is, after all, all about me. I don't worry about what you do, unless it affects me personally. Live and let live.
Sorry but what an empty existence if your life is only about yourself.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I don't recycle. It's not offered at my apartment complex even though residential homes in the city have curbside recycling. I did take my recyclables to a bin at my local grocery store for awhile but the bin was removed and I haven't bothered to find another.
We had a recycling facility behind our grocery store that was walking distance and I once carted my bags there. It has since been removed so the recycles will just have to be tossed out with the regular trash.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:48 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
The thign that is upsetting is that the majoity of recycling is a frud once colected. Its like so much of the computer recycling programs. in the end it ends up as toxic waste in china and vietnam or another country.Left to some peasant to burn off and smell the toxic fumes to recover the precious metals.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:13 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
I dont recycle, not because i dont want to, but because the garbage removal service does it for everyone in town when the trucks get to the recycle place/dump. I guess it provides some people with jobs which is fine by me.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:39 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
Well I have curbside recycling so it really isn't a issue for me. What I found amazing is how the rest of my family has fallen in behind me to recycle.
When you start to analyze your garbage as recycling forces you to do, we are a very wastefull society!

Old 02-15-2010, 11:16 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I thought California required curb side recycling now (is that what La la land means? If not, sorry).
Not sure, but it was a nice 76 degrees here in my part of La la land (81 degrees at downtown L.A.). Went for a bike ride; no jacket, just a thin T-shirt. A nice, blue sky and gentle winds.

As for recycling, I put maybe 80% of my discards in the blue (recycle) trash can- newspapers, plastic containers, etc.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:38 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
This Is What 426,000 Discarded Cellphones Looks Like

In addition to cellphones, this current exhibition includes light bulbs, oil drums, disposable batteries, prison uniforms, and much, much more. The gallery below contains a few examples, but check out his site for the full show, it's really astounding stuff (and often very clever). And for clarification, YES, OF COURSE THIS IS PHOTOSHOPPED. Nobody has 426,000 cellphones lying around for a photoshoot.
This Is What 426,000 Discarded Cellphones Looks Like - Photography - Gizmodo

http://cache-01.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/gallery/4/2009/05/medium_3493857519_8343501c52_o.jpg (broken link)

We live in a consumption society. The numbers are staggering, whether it’s how many cellphones and plastic bottles we discard, cigarettes we smoke, paper and plastic bags we use at the supermarket, or painkillers we pop. How can we imagine the quantities involved?

If you’re Seattle artist Chris Jordan, you pick a number, such as the number of cell phones that are retired in the United States every day, and figure out a way to show all 426 000 of them. Here, each speck of grey represents a phone, clearly visible in the original 150 cm x 275 cm picture.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/telecom/wir...ded-cellphones

Old 02-16-2010, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Not sure, but it was a nice 76 degrees here in my part of La la land (81 degrees at downtown L.A.). Went for a bike ride; no jacket, just a thin T-shirt. A nice, blue sky and gentle winds.
Ah yeah ... It was a nice sunny day in the LA area! Nice change from all that rain we got so far this year.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:31 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,228,551 times
Let's standardize reusable packaging and tax the heck out of the fancy throw away stuff. I buy wine directly from the winemaker in refilled 5 liter glass bottles and repour into 750ml bottles. Eliminates the 750ml bottles, manufacturing, transport and labelling. We can do this for anything from cereal to shampoo. We just don't.

We are trained to take a very wasteful process, pay through the nose for it and then spend our time trying to minimize the impact and pointing our fingers at each other for not being as good at sorting bottles as the next guy.

We need to dummy proof the entire process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies