Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 03:38 PM

805 posts, read 1,509,903 times

Advertisements

Am I in the minority here? This bugs me!

There are 2 trash cans side by side. One is labelled: Aluminum cans only. The other is for regular trash.

I see people throw cans right into the regular trash.

I don't understand why something so simple to do can be beyond the ability of these people. I can only conclude that they just DON'T CARE.

These people operate the "out of sight, out of mind" mentality. They don't see the landfills so garbage doesn't exist. And they go ahead and produce as much unbiodegradable trash as they please, when they have EVERY opportunity to lessen the impact.

Do you recycle? Why don't you, if you don't? Remember, it's not about being left or right. One of the most devastating things INDUSTRIALISM has created for our country and the rest of the world is the lack of good soil to produce food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 03:45 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
In the mail room where I live are two bins. A large concrete outdoor style garbage bin and a blue plastic bin for recycling. Every day I pull out about 15 pounds of junk mail and plastic water bottles from the garbage bin and place them in the adjacent blue bin, the one that literally touches the shorter garbage bin. Are Americans smart? NO! They are a bunch of unconscious idiots. "Wot? I dint no that wuz fer recyclin'?" After two years of grumping about no recycling at work, I finally succeeded in getting through to people that all that paper, plastic, and aluminum was worth recycling. Great, I thought. Still, I see reams of paper placed in the garbage while the recycling bins are empty. Can I kill my coworkers? Please?!

Anyone who doesn't recycle should be shot, stabbed, suffocated, and bludgeoned. And the same goes for people who toss cigarettes to the ground or out their car window! There now, I feel better. Don't mess with me. The Earth is far more important to me than you are.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:48 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
Am I in the minority here? This bugs me!

There are 2 trash cans side by side. One is labelled: Aluminum cans only. The other is for regular trash.

I see people throw cans right into the regular trash.

I don't understand why something so simple to do can be beyond the ability of these people. I can only conclude that they just DON'T CARE.

These people operate the "out of sight, out of mind" mentality. They don't see the landfills so garbage doesn't exist. And they go ahead and produce as much unbiodegradable trash as they please, when they have EVERY opportunity to lessen the impact.

Do you recycle? Why don't you, if you don't? Remember, it's not about being left or right. One of the most devastating things INDUSTRIALISM has created for our country and the rest of the world is the lack of good soil to produce food.
I'd have no issue with recycling if there were somewhere within walking distance from my home to dispose of my cans and bottles. I'm not about to take two buses just to recycle my stuff.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:52 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I'd have no issue with recycling if there were somewhere within walking distance from my home to dispose of my cans and bottles. I'm not about to take two buses just to recycle my stuff.
Before my apartment complex and my office recycled, I drove the 9 miles one way to the city's recycling center with my trunk and back seat overflowing with stuff. I couldn't live with the guilt if I didn't do what was right.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I know plenty of people who have CARS and don't bother.

What we really need is MANDATORY curbside recycling to replace regular garbage pickup. This means:

No garbage pickup UNLESS your garbage is pre-sorted.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
The Earth is far more important to me than you are.

Awesome quote of the day!

Old 02-14-2010, 03:57 PM

4,364 posts, read 4,562,454 times
Quote:
Before my apartment complex and my office recycled, I drove the 9 miles one way to the city's recycling center with my trunk and back seat overflowing with stuff. I couldn't live with the guilt if I didn't do what was right.
Seems all the car exhaust you expelled into the atmosphere driving back and forth to the recycling center pretty much negated the green benefit you were trying to achieve.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:00 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Quote:
Me too. I drive about 5 miles one way to recycle tin cans, glass, newspapers and cardboard. I go every 3-4 weeks and it feels good to do my part. Pop bottles are returned to the grocery store in my state for refunds. We can even recycle plastic bags at the store. But I use mostly canvas bags for groceries. The recycling center, by the way, is right across the street from the grocery store which makes it convenient but we do have curbside pick up if you want to pay extra. If I couldn't drive, I'd use it for a couple extra bucks a week.

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
I'm more of a re-user than a recycler. Our town doesn't have curbside recycling and to be honest, the process OF recycling ... is polluting. And getting into my car to drive and pollute to get my recyclables to a recycling center ... well, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
Seems all the car exhaust you expelled into the atmosphere driving back and forth to the recycling center pretty much negated the green benefit you were trying to achieve.
I make it a stop on the way to another place. I never just drive to the recycling ctr and come home. Maybe that is what he/she is doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies