Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 05:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
it sounds to me like the insurance company should be the one complaining.. $18,000 to make kids not "sick" that isnt theirs? But are they complaining? I doubt it.. They are doing their job to fufill their end of the agreement, 1. you need to call the hospital and askt hem what your "share" is, and ask them for an amount other than billed. Its quite simple to make the call.The OP did claim he took them because they were "sick". 2.If my kids were sick I'd wait for a few hours and take them to the family doctor and be happy with my $200 bill. If your going to use emergency service, then indeed be prepared to pay the bill... Period.

3. What many fail to understand is why does the hospital bill so much? If you get to this answer, (which is "government") then maybe you'll understand why many oppose governments further involvement. The OP link further confirms this.. The more individuals who sign up for "government" care, the more profits the insurance companies had in the OP report.
1. For every problem there is a solution which is simple, obvious, and wrong - Albert Einstein

2. This is not the parenting forum. The OP was there, you were not.

3. Please explain, with some documentation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 05:38 PM

12 posts, read 6,073 times
Stop abortion but then let them die for lack of health care. And the republicans can not figure out why we call them stupid.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:18 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,015,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
If you take your kids to the emergency room, be prepared to pay the bill...
It has nothing to do with what it should have cost. It is called "cost sharing". It's main goal is to change behavior of a consumer - another words get a big bill at the emergency room and you may think twice before using the service again - unless, your bleeding to death

It is used by hospitals to try to decrease the demand for what they consider to be unnecessary services.

Cost sharing is used a lot by Hospitals and Ambulance
Services. It's kind of like trying to get people to think of their bodies like cars. If you have that little fender bender - you won't call your Insurance Agent cause your rates will go up. If your illness can wait till the morning - you really don't NEED to go to that ER or call that ambulance.

What's the down part of cost sharing - changing one's behavior not to go to emergency room or call an ambulance
may cause your death Your Hospital and Insurance Company think of you more like a car, than you want to know

Old 02-16-2010, 09:32 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,041,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post

I'm angry at the republican party because they've voiced very little in what they propose to do about this health insurance racket.

What they've proposed the loudest is tort reform. Another words they propose to increase profits to the insurance companies by allowing caps on those injured by malpractice. The malpractice premium insurance costs have increased in those states who have passed tort reform. Bad idea republican party, better come up with a different strategy or else.

As a republican I would bust up these huge insurance companies into smaller companies and yank their colluding, money fixing anti-trust exemption from them and impose federal regulation on them and really allow true competition in every state in the union creating large pools of happy premium paying americans who may find themselves able to afford health insurance at a reasonble price, even without employment being a factor because group coverage over individual coverage may not be a factor any longer. But, this wont happen.

If that is the case a non profit health insurance is needed.

Another words a one payer system.
I just hope more republicans, like you, are beginning to wake up and see clearly that their proposed "fixes" aren't really fixes at all ...
and that the only one's who will benefit from them are the insurance companies.

Last edited by World Citizen; 02-16-2010 at 09:56 PM..

Old 02-17-2010, 04:03 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
$2000 to see a doctor for 5 minutes?
$10,000 (each) for what appears to have been an uncomplicated ER trip
Where do you go? The Ritz Carlton Medical Center?
Seems like there is an extra zero on both of those compared to most of our not-infrequent bills

Old 02-17-2010, 06:35 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
$2000 to see a doctor for 5 minutes?
$10,000 (each) for what appears to have been an uncomplicated ER trip
Where do you go? The Ritz Carlton Medical Center?
Seems like there is an extra zero on both of those compared to most of our not-infrequent bills
I don't think that wherever they went is all that rare in terms of cost. The system is broken and getting worse. There are estimates the the middle class will not be able to afford insurance in as little as 10 years. That would include many that want to keep the current system alive.

'Perverse incentive' in current health care system, says expert - CNN.com

Old 02-17-2010, 06:40 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,277,527 times
Too many people are using the ER as a doctor office because they have no insurance and know they can't be refused, then they never pay the bill. So, the hospital gets stuck and guess what, our premiums go up. Another dilemma facing inner city hospitals, gang bangers shoot each other and this probably requires surgery and the bill is 100,000 or 200,000 dollars, no insurance, so the hospital eats the bill and in the end, we the working man get stuck paying for all of this. Where does it all end? JMHO.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:49 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Too many people are using the ER as a doctor office because they have no insurance and know they can't be refused, then they never pay the bill. So, the hospital gets stuck and guess what, our premiums go up. Another dilemma facing inner city hospitals, gang bangers shoot each other and this probably requires surgery and the bill is 100,000 or 200,000 dollars, no insurance, so the hospital eats the bill and in the end, we the working man get stuck paying for all of this. Where does it all end? JMHO.
Quite right, there will be more and more people without coverage. More companies not providing in whole or even part. That trend will continue. As those who don't have coverage use health care, which they must, fewer will be paying for it. The people who do have coverage will continue to pay higher premiums until they cannot afford it, then they start adding to the burden. And the cycle continues until this country has to take serious action. But other than that, according to Rush, the American Health Care system is just fine.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:09 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
I just hope more republicans, like you, are beginning to wake up and see clearly that their proposed "fixes" aren't really fixes at all ...
and that the only one's who will benefit from them are the insurance companies.
Actually I'm a registered independent and have been for 20 years. I phrased "as a republican" in reference to what the republican party should do in my opinion. I'm looking to vote out incumbents this coming election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies