Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 12:27 PM

88,921 posts, read 44,722,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
...by the way, our planet is past due for an ice age by a few thousand years.
Yep. And speaking of Wisconsin , researchers at the University of Wisconsin have found that human impact of the last 8,000 is forestalling what would be a normally occurring impending ice age.
Quote:
We're at a very favorable state right now for increased glaciation," says Kutzbach. "Nature is favoring it at this time in orbital cycles, and if humans weren't in the picture it would probably be happening today."

Using three different climate models and removing the amount of greenhouse gases humans have injected into the atmosphere during the past 5,000 to 8,000 years, Vavrus and Kutzbach observed more permanent snow and ice cover in regions of Canada, Siberia, Greenland and the Rocky Mountains, all known to be seed regions for glaciers from previous ice ages. Vavrus notes: "With every feedback we've included, it seems to support the hypothesis (of a forestalled ice age) even more. We keep getting the same answer.
Study: Did early climate impact divert a new glacial age? (Dec. 16, 2008)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 04:43 PM

30,043 posts, read 18,634,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yep. And speaking of Wisconsin , researchers at the University of Wisconsin have found that human impact of the last 8,000 is forestalling what would be a normally occurring impending ice age.

Inconclusive speculation which defies the fossil record data- the only long term data we have on climate.

Unless one has conclusive evidence of a problem, and the ability to solve the problem, do nothing. Often an ill concieved "treatment" for a non-existent problem will cause greater problems.

Old 07-10-2010, 05:19 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,903,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Guys, don't worry, when the weather turns, the fear mongers will come up with another "man made" crisis. In the 70's it was that we were causing the next ice age after a few cold winters, in the 80's and early 90's acid rain and the ozone layer were the big buzz words to gain political power. Global warming took root longer than most of the others, but it seems to be dying a natural death. I have little doubt that something else will be brought up next.
I believe Ocean Acidification will be their next hippy green moment that the libbies will swallow

Quote:

Don't know about any of you but I'd rather live in a hot world than an ice age.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:49 PM

15,035 posts, read 8,607,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Those liars!

No wonder right wingers enter "misleading" thread titles -- they think it's all right to, since Fox does it.
And no wonder right wingers are so... misled.

Anyway this is already a thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...there-has.html
He admitted he was disorganized -- he didnt "make a U-turn" by any means.
According to Mr Harrabin, colleagues of Professor Jones said ‘his office is piled high with paper, fragments from over the years, tens of thousands of pieces of paper, and they suspect what happened was he took in the raw data to a central database and then let the pieces of paper go because he never realised that 20 years later he would be held to account over them’.
...he denied he had cheated over the data or unfairly influenced the scientific process, and said he still believed recent temperature rises were predominantly man-made.
How can any of you say Fox doesnt lie, with headlines like that?
Haha ... you never stop ... you are the energizer bunny spin machine. What's he supposed to say ... what would you expect him to say oops .. you caught me .. OK, I'm a freaking liar, and I'm committing this fraud so that we can tax the little people into oblivion? Jesus.

"Oh, I'm so disorganized ... that's why I confused the climate data from 1992 with 2002 ...I mean ... hey .. they both end in a 2!!! Ooppsie. "

And err .. pay no mind to the hundreds of emails admitting the fraud .... all of those statements were ... err.... TAKEN OUT OF CONTEXT !!!

Old 07-13-2010, 04:08 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,184,302 times
Quote:

more of that research dependent on goverment grants and the like. how about some research that does not get grants from a goverment and some research that is not biased towards global warming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies