Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 02:45 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,472,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Frankie can't read? Did I say anything about watching TV?
I said I don't buy GE products. Please don't read anything into and between the lines that isn't there. .... and try to stay on topic.
Uh... NBC is owned by GE. By watching their advertising you're giving money to GE, thus not boycotting them at all. I mean that's a pretty logical connection there guy.

The More You Know.

By the way you might want to be more careful with that rep button before you insult people

Last edited by FinkieMcGee; 02-16-2010 at 02:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 05:26 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
Uh... NBC is owned by GE. By watching their advertising you're giving money to GE, thus not boycotting them at all. I mean that's a pretty logical connection there guy.
The More You Know.
By the way you might want to be more careful with that rep button before you insult people
'twas no insult, just same question I asked here. You got a rep out of it, didn't you.

BTW, what makes you so sure that I watch commercials? And, even if someone does, are they automatically giving money to GE? My wallet doesn't get thinner after every commercial. I don't quite follow the logic there.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:35 PM

12 posts, read 6,073 times
Well if we were not in two forgin countries with them not wanting us there they could not kill us could they? a couple of nuts hijack a plane and the tea baggers go crazy and want to go to war with everyone. They are like a dog that bites those trying to help it after getting hit by a car. Stupid people.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:25 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
You shouldn't just be upset with the middle men. The manufacturers know where these weapons are going (though they'll deny knowledge until the end of time). They sell to those middle men with a wink and a nod.
The CEOs should be tried and publicly executed via firing squad or hanging. And if they have immediate family, the family should be forced to witness the execution and pay for it. That would send the message to others that they damn well better know who they are selling stuff to.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
The way they were sold to a middleman who routed them through another country before sending them to Iran makes you think that these things are probably purchased with wrong motivation.

and then...

Here's a link to the 60 minutes story How Iran Obtains U.S. Technology - 60 Minutes - CBS News

So, Kev... you want President Obama to speak out against this?
I thought you weren't planning to vote Democratic this year and wanted him to suffer the consequences.
It should be obvious to ANY business that, if an Arab calls you to sell him millions of dollars worth of technology and that Arab lives in a basement apartment in Detroit and has no known business or job that would involve using high tech centrifuges, that Arab is up to NO GOOD. Not only would I NOT sell him the time of day but my next call will be to the FBI after I hang up on him.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
The way they were sold to a middleman who routed them through another country before sending them to Iran makes you think that these things are probably purchased with wrong motivation.

and then...

Here's a link to the 60 minutes story How Iran Obtains U.S. Technology - 60 Minutes - CBS News

So, Kev... you want President Obama to speak out against this?
I thought you weren't planning to vote Democratic this year and wanted him to suffer the consequences.
It would be nice if he provided some leadership for a change, yes. But I don't expect it. After all they are probably too busy trying to jail our soldiers for making the terrorist uncomfortable to chase illegal arms sellers.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:33 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Halliburton has been in Iran for decades. Started when Cheyney was CEO

Old 02-17-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The soldiers don't have a say in it, as a matter of fact, the only say they have is signing up or not.

We the people have the ultimate say, or at least we did.

Until we started allowing our fears of the Soviet Union, and now Islamic extremists to over run our good thinking. Its not the militarys fault, its our fault for letting corporations to buy defense spending contracts, and the votes of elected officials who decide if war is needed or not.

Remember this thread, the next time we have a terrorist attack on our soil. Is the life of 100 or 200 people, really worth the lives of tens of thousands of Americans, hundreds of thousands of innocent people who are killed by our military, and the trillions of dollars of debt we rack up "defending our homeland".

Terrorism is a police matter, and our police are trained quite well for their job. You can't stop someone from killing themselves, or from killing others at the same time, in a free society. Its something people have got to learn to live with.
You are absolutely right. We cannot stop them. You cannot build a security model that does not depend on deterrence through capture or death and, if a person does not care if they die, it is next to impossible to stop them from taking others with them.
But what you can do is get at the ROOT reasons for this mindset to begin with and the ROOT reasons for it are basically 2- religion and a lack of justice for the oppressed.
On the religion issue, what we should do is tell the Arabs that promote fundamentalist radical violent Islam that, should we suffer a future attack from your country, we will hold your government responsible for it. We will not invade and "nation build" but we will light your ass up like the 4th of July and when our bombers leave, your country will not have a government building, oil well or power plant standing. And, if we suffer another attack, we will return and do the same thing again.
We can tell the radical Arab countries- including Saudi Arabia- that promote this crap that they can either CEASE or face a total embargo and travel ban from the USA. Wait until those princesses find out that they cannot shop on 5th Ave anymore!
As for the injustice issue, we need to tell Israel and the Zionist nutcases that run that country that we will no longer fund their expansions and settlements and, that until they get serious about a peace accord, we are going to impose a total travel ban between Israel and the United States. And we should tell the Palestinians that we are cutting off the aid we give to them until they cut off the bombers and rocket makers that fire rockets over the fence and they come back to the peace table and act like they are serious.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:12 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,041,803 times
Default What is leadership?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
It would be nice if he provided some leadership for a change, yes. But I don't expect it. After all they are probably too busy trying to jail our soldiers for making the terrorist uncomfortable to chase illegal arms sellers.

Yes sir. Let's hang 'em publicly.

Just like they did back in the Tea Party days....

At some point you people are going to have to recognize that there's a real need for diplomacy rather than more military action.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:09 AM

32 posts, read 66,972 times
Quote:
Yes sir. Let's hang 'em publicly.

Just like they did back in the Tea Party days....

At some point you people are going to have to recognize that there's a real need for diplomacy rather than more military action.

I honestly don't know if diplomacy will help. I do however think that some good old fashioned honesty and a little back bone wouldn't hurt. I think putting a deadline on things and then actually doing what you say you'll do is one way we could help ourselves and get our boys and girls home from the Middle East.

I also think we'd greatly benefit by finding viable alternatives to our petroleum based society and actually think about saving the planet we live on, not only for ourselves but for future generations.

To be blunt as a post, I really don't care what Iraq or Iran chooses to do within it's government. If they want a democracy, then let THEM stand there and fight for it.. I'm sick to death of the US being the police dog of the world. If they actually wanted democracy bad enough they'd get off their duffs and actually make it work. I don't feel sorry for any of them, our country had to fight for our rights and the only ones helping us then was France. Don't they understand that if it's not worth fighting for then it's not worth having?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies