Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 10:19 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Interesting that you go on a rant againt TLV with no mention of the post that started the exchange. TLV hadn't mentioned anything about conservatives until after the following reply.
Why did you even reply to that post? I read that post. Didn't bother replying back.

Anyways, anyone with a brain would know I was being sarcastic and just replying to the nonsense Ryan posted. I got two people ranting on me for that but not on him. The one you replied too claims I am a lost cause and has been following my posts. If he had, he would see where I stand on some issues and how I do defend conservatives at times and think the Palin bashing is unneeded. Interesting.

+1 hun Thank you so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 10:27 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
EXACTLY. I've been working at the same job for over 2 years. had to take on the responsibilities of 2 people due to layoffs (though it really feels like 3). and I haven't gotten a single raise. granted, I work in retail, but still, a lot of jobs have frozen raises and bonuses during this recession. and an extra 5 hours per week is nothing compared to the overtime some people are pulling. I know being a teacher is tough and requires a lot of work out of school, but people don't go into teaching to become rich; I'd like to think they became teachers to educate students. and the students at that school aren't being educated to standards (not just blaming this on this set of teachers, but they obviously aren't helping)
After two years, poor baby.
Try being a teacher. I couldn't hack it for long.
You apparently are clueless about what is involved.
There is no such thing as an 8 hour work day to begin with.

Here, quit your job, go to school, get an advanced degree then try teaching.
It's nothing like you imagine and especially nothing like retail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
What creeps me out is that a number of people in the OP's article link just blame the "lazy students"....
"they just don't want to learn".
No one is willing to take any kind of responsibility anymore. It's ALWAYS someone else's fault isn't it?
Evidently you have no clue about education.
I have a sister who just quit teaching on a graduate level because students were less willing to do the work year after year.
I have another sister who retired when she couldn't stand the laziness and refusal to learn of students at a Junior/Senior level in high school.
Shall we start on the helicopter parents?
I teach adults, it's certainly not easy and I don't have to deal with their parents.

Last edited by chielgirl; 02-15-2010 at 10:36 PM..

Old 02-15-2010, 10:39 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,845,391 times
I wish the district, in this article, good luck in replacing the staff. What incentive would a good teacher have in seeking a position with the district. Pick any profession you want. Who would work for a company that promises a tougher work environment for less pay with a good likelihood that your efforts will be met with scorn.

Evaluating teacher performance strictly on test scores is ridiculous. I know many proven teachers rethinking which schools they want to teach in because of the over use and misuse of test scores.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:43 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Michelle Rhee, the Washington DC School Superintendent turned around the D.C. school system largely because she held teachers accountable and threatened to fire them. I think tenure protects bad teachers in both high school and college. There are too many bad teachers in our public school system. I know teacher bashing is sacreligious in our society and they are socially protected from criticism as poor education is exclusively blamed on economic factors and poor parenting. Yes, those reasons are a factor but so is poor teaching as Michelle Rhee has proven.

D.C. Schools Chancellor Michelle Rhee Is Getting Results - WSJ.com

Old 02-15-2010, 10:51 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
When did you graduate from school? More than EVER there are students who simply do not respect the teacher/professor and they sleep in class, they text, they surf the net, show up late and BEG for extensions.

I saw it all through high school and still see it in University.

That is NOT to say ALL students do it. Some do want to learn. But I saw myself how my Spanish teacher had a girl sitting a few rows down from me who SLEPT and SNORED so loud in high school. It was distracting. He woke her up and she said "How dare you wake me up?" He called her mom who said "My daughter deserves her sleep. Let her sleep and if you wake her up, I will talk to your boss."

She slept until one day my teacher just called the principal....

To blame it on teachers is just stupid. Some of them DO care and some of them don't. Don't get me started on my stupid ass math "teacher". Oh my GOSH!
I'm sorry but that seems to be a problem with your school. My children's school would never tolerate a student snoring loudly and disturbing an entire class. The principal in that situation should have defended the teacher and suspended the student or give her detention to prevent students from doing that. Part of being a bad school is not enforcing rules when need be.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:57 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I'm sorry but that seems to be a problem with your school. My children's school would never tolerate a student snoring loudly and disturbing an entire class. The principal in that situation should have defended the teacher and suspended the student or give her detention to prevent students from doing that. Part of being a bad school is not enforcing rules when need be.
Dont be sorry when you speak the truth, my friend! My point is that it is not only my school. Imagine how many others this happens in.

The person to whom I was replying was assuming the teachers are just lazy and students want to eagerly learn. Oh no no no. Not always.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:19 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Hopefully more superintendents will make the same choice and get rid of non-performing teachers.
Why is it always the teachers who get blamed when the students aren't learning? Half the time the kids don't have parents who take an interest in their kids and make them do their homework. They give the kids cell phones so they can sit in class and text back and forth and they complain if the teacher tries to give them a disciplinary action. If they're going to evaluate the teachers then evaluate the parents and students right along with the process. Not all school districts are equal and not all towns are Mayberry.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:07 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
I wish the district, in this article, good luck in replacing the staff. What incentive would a good teacher have in seeking a position with the district. Pick any profession you want. Who would work for a company that promises a tougher work environment for less pay with a good likelihood that your efforts will be met with scorn.

Evaluating teacher performance strictly on test scores is ridiculous. I know many proven teachers rethinking which schools they want to teach in because of the over use and misuse of test scores.
You are correct in your analysis. Good high school teachers are not looking for work and when they are, they can be very selective about their work locations. To fill the teaching void, many school districts are staffing their high schools with alternatively certified teachers. These "teachers" are drawn from a pool of the unemployed who cannot find the jobs of their choice, so they decide to "try" teaching because it provides a steady salary and basic benefits. The alt. cert. process puts people who have had no interest in teaching or children in front of a classroom, after they pass a subject area test and receive only 6 weeks of training. My experience with alt. cert. teachers has not been positive. At my large urban high school, one English class schedule had 5 alt. cert. teachers before the first semester was over - none of them could manage a classroom and the kids ran all over them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I think tenure protects bad teachers in both high school and college. There are too many bad teachers in our public school system. I know teacher bashing is sacreligious in our society and they are socially protected from criticism as poor education is exclusively blamed on economic factors and poor parenting. Yes, those reasons are a factor but so is poor teaching as Michelle Rhee has proven.

D.C. Schools Chancellor Michelle Rhee Is Getting Results - WSJ.com
Where the hell have you been for the past 10 years. Teachers are the cause for all that is bad in America! Just read the posts on C-D...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Why is it always the teachers who get blamed when the students aren't learning? Half the time the kids don't have parents who take an interest in their kids and make them do their homework. They give the kids cell phones so they can sit in class and text back and forth and they complain if the teacher tries to give them a disciplinary action. If they're going to evaluate the teachers then evaluate the parents and students right along with the process. Not all school districts are equal and not all towns are Mayberry.
Good points. It takes three inputs for a student to be academically successful: good parenting, good student motivation, and good teaching. If one of these components is missing, achievement will be less than optimal. To blame it all on the teacher is ludicrous.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:20 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Hey OP-how do you know all those teachers were bad?

how do you know they deserved to be fired? You seem awfully happy about people losing their jobs.
Exactly, once again people seem to be assuming that if a district underperforms that it MUST be the teachers...

Haven't seen a study that points to this fact.

Are they a contributing factor? Perhaps. But slash and burn like this is a bad precedent. Not sure how many quality teachers are going to want to come step in front of the firing squad in that district to fill the vacated positions...

Would you?

Old 02-16-2010, 08:21 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Ah, didn't read the entire thread...

Good post!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies