Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe homosexuality is a choice?
Yes. 40 19.23%
No. 126 60.58%
I believe it is due to a combination of factors. 40 19.23%
I'm undecided. 2 0.96%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 03:53 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,704,418 times

Advertisements

GOOGLE

Biological Exuberance: Animal Homosexuality and Natural Diversity

(You'll also find an argument against this reasoning very easily)

Homosexual Activity Among Animals Stirs Debate

I guess what gets me riled, as I have mentioned, is the selective usage of "Natural" when referring to activity. Humans and animals are scaled as having different "natural" behaviors because of our ability to reason, therefore one can apply raw desire to lesser species - since we have no first-hand knowledge of emotional ability in animals...but I can't fathom the idea that homosexual or bisexual love between humans is any less "natural" (or in any way more harmful) than a passionate heterosexual bond.

To me, the vastness of our ability justifies the range in which we allow ourselves emotionally. Does that make sense?

Last edited by 33458; 05-30-2007 at 04:21 PM.. Reason: yadda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 09:46 PM

485 posts, read 1,647,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittZ View Post
Um, you have run this thread into the ground. If my memory serves, this is about the tenth time you have started this exact same argument and everytime it does exactly the same thing. Run in circles until it eventually dies. Do you not have anything else to talk about or discuss?
My thoughts exactly Brittz, but you beat me to it! I'd like to add that.

Lindsey you usually get upset over the responses you get. Why do this to yourself over and over again? By rehashing the same argument, you seem to show people that your daughter's lifestyle is upsetting to you. I know you probably say its not her lifestyle that is upsetting, but people's scorn that is upsetting. Why keep looking for it then? There are going to be people who say what you want to hear, but there may be just as many to upset you. I honestly don't know what I will do if one of my daughters turns out to live this way, but I'll pray each day that they keep the morals and values their Daddy and I have instilled in them, find a wonderful husband and raise a great family of grandchildren for us.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:52 PM

572 posts, read 2,088,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
Are you implying that most other species in the animal kingdom have recreational sex, or homosexual sex???
Absolutely. Do some research.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
Some have homosexual sex but it's pretty rare........ Heck, regarding labels I'd imagine rape as we define it is quite common amongst animals, so we probably shouldn't be too quick to discard man-made laws...
And it's not all that rare. When you compare the percentage of human beings who are homosexual to the percentage of Apes and other mammals who have homosexual sex, it's about the same.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:02 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,848,625 times
I don't think anyone chooses to be homosexual/heterosexual, I think a person just "knows". I can't remember ever being confused about my sexuality, not even from my earliest memories. I knew I would grow up and have a husband, it was boys I was attracted to, it was just that simple. Having had a few lesbian friends they expressed a similiar thought process.

If one day you were told that the whole world is now homosexual and you must be also, would you be able to change from heterosexual to homosexual? I wouldn't be able to, and I don't expect homosexuals to be able to change either.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
I don't think anyone chooses to be homosexual/heterosexual, I think a person just "knows". I can't remember ever being confused about my sexuality, not even from my earliest memories. I knew I would grow up and have a husband, it was boys I was attracted to, it was just that simple. Having had a few lesbian friends they expressed a similiar thought process.

If one day you were told that the whole world is now homosexual and you must be also, would you be able to change from heterosexual to homosexual? I wouldn't be able to, and I don't expect homosexuals to be able to change either.
Very well said.

Also, who would choose a lifestyle thats socially unacceptable?

Old 05-30-2007, 10:16 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,249,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremeyk482 View Post
EXACTLY. Living life is hard enough as it is. I don't think anybody would want to be viewed by society any more differently than they already are.

A little off topic here but that's why I realy empathize with transgendered folks. Why would you choose you're entire life to be turned upside down b'c you thought you were the opposite sex? It has to be innate, IMO.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Sometimes negative attention is better than no attention at all. I am not saying this about all homosexuals, but I have a personal story to tell. My cousin(also my best friend) who was the same age as me, grew up with me, and went to the same school with me was a rebel. She loved doing anything to shock her parents and the community at large. When we were in high school she "came out" and pronounced her preference to everyone. She had two different girlfriends throughout the 4 years of high school and they were definitely sexually active. I always felt like she was doing this for the shock level she was getting so much attention from in our rural small conservative town. Now, 15 years later, she is married to a great husband and has two sons. What happened here? Was she just bisexual and is now curbing her attraction to women? Was she never homosexual to begin with? If this is the case how could she have sex with other girls and pretend to enjoy it for 4 years? Or, did she change her mind? Who knows, she'll never tell me and I don't like bringing it up since it is a sensitive subject to her. Deep down, I feel like she wanted that attention (even if it was negative) so much that she did it all to spite her parents and everyone who would disapprove. Our whole life she took great delight in sparking adults disapproval. I'm not saying in any way that this is the case with any homosexuals, but this may shed some light on my doubt that it is not a choice.

Last edited by robinhood; 05-30-2007 at 11:17 PM..

Old 05-30-2007, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
Sometimes negative attention is better than no attention at all. I am not saying this about all homosexuals, but I have a personal story to tell. My cousin(also my best friend) who was the same age as me, grew up with me, and went to the same school with me was a rebel. She loved doing anything to shock her parents and the community at large. When we were in high school she "came out" and pronounced her preference to everyone. She had two different girlfriends throughout the 4 years of high school and they were definitely sexually active. I always felt like she was doing this for the shocl level she was getting so much attention from in our rural small conservative town. Now, 15 years later, she is married to a great husband and has two sons. What happened here? Was she just bisexual and is now curbing her attraction to women? Was she never homosexual to begin with? If this is the case how could she have sex with other girls and pretend to enjoy it for 4 years? Or, did she change her mind? Who knows, she'll never tell me and I don't like bringing it up since it is a sensitive subject to her. Deep down, I feel like she wanted that attention (even if it was negative) so much that she did it all to spite her parents and everyone who would disapprove. Our whole life she took great delight in sparking adults disapproval. I'm not saying in any way that this is the case with any homosexuals, but this may shed some light on my doubt that it is not a choice.
You just contradicted yourself, because the shedding of your light definitely implies that you're saying this is the case with homosexuals. Your friend sounds like someone who wasn't comfortable with her sexuality and stepped back in the closet to live a "normal" life. I have an uncle who hid his sexuality for years after he created a family and retired. He said he was depressed his whole life because nobody knew his deepest secret and he couldn't hide his feelings anymore.

If homosexuals did this for attention, why would we have so many closet cases who are too embarrassed and afraid to come to terms with their sexuality?

Take a step out of your small, conservative Texas town for a minute and try to understand that people are gay and not by choice. To think otherwise is incredibly ignorant.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:26 PM

Quote:
You just contradicted yourself, because the shedding of your light definitely implies that you're saying this is the case with homosexuals.

If homosexuals did this for attention, why would we have so many closet cases who are too embarrassed and afraid to come to terms with their sexuality?

Take a step out of your small, conservative Texas town for a minute and try to understand that people are gay and not by choice. To think otherwise is incredibly ignorant.
First of all I used the word doubt. Doubt indicates a person is unsure of something. For your information I did not vote "Yes" to the poll. As for closet cases, each individual has their own reasons for hiding certain things. I'm embarrassed for people to know my choice of music style so I keep it to myself and enjoy listening to my music. I don't think I was born loving this music though. As for your last comment, its pure ignorance for assumptions to be made that once I lived in a small town, I've never gotten out and explored and lived other places. Thats what happens when you judge an individual without knowing them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies