Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe homosexuality is a choice?
Yes. 40 19.23%
No. 126 60.58%
I believe it is due to a combination of factors. 40 19.23%
I'm undecided. 2 0.96%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 06:01 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times

Advertisements

Investigating and observing same sex behavior was not a central issue in animal behavior until the last 10-20 years. Now, with more scientific research and observation, articles are appearing that indicate that same-sex behavior is not uncommon among mammals. Here's an article about two penguins. But if you follow research reported even in non-scientific journals like Smithsonian, National Geographic, Natural History, Discovery and others, you'll see more articles on the subject. It may be too early to estimate how many animals elect same sex relationships, and very time consuming. After all we don't have a sufficient access to a larger enough number of any species to make anything more than a speculative estimate.

Love That Dare Not Squeak Its Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
I'm interested in the "and other mammals" part especially..... Try to remember my argument isn't that it doesn't happen, but that it's hardly commonplace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 08:32 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Yes, I to wonder how people can be so highly obscessed with homosexuality and abortion and just get on with their lives. I think, though, many prominent ministers on TV found that raising people's fear over homosexuality brought in more donations than other subjects they preached against. After all, they did lose one big subject to preach against from the downfall of the U.S.S.R. and communism.
I find it interesting that you "wonder how people can be so highly obscessed with homosexuality and abortion and just get on with their lives.". It seems like you are implying that it is people who object to these practices who are "obscessed." But if you back and check the thread initiator, she is in fact an advocate for homosexuals. As is many times the case the posters who initiate these controversial threads are proponents for it.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:03 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
I find it interesting that you "wonder how people can be so highly obscessed with homosexuality and abortion and just get on with their lives.". It seems like you are implying that it is people who object to these practices who are "obscessed." But if you back and check the thread initiator, she is in fact an advocate for homosexuals. As is many times the case the posters who initiate these controversial threads are proponents for it.
Yeah, but we're not the ones trying to legally ban anything... if nobody objected to things like gay marriage & legal abortions, there wouldn't be any reason for us to debate! Oh, and PLENTY of threads are started by the "other side", which I'll be happy to display if you don't believe me.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:34 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,746,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sous777 View Post
After reading the many debates on this forum and in political and religious venues, I think it's time for a poll. Many of you have seen both sides of the argument, and I am curious where the city-data community stands on the issue.
Yes, I absolutely think it's a choice. No doubt about it. There is no gay gene. People would like there to be one, but there isn't.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:45 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,203,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
Yes, I absolutely think it's a choice. No doubt about it. There is no gay gene. People would like there to be one, but there isn't.
And thank you so much sir for presenting a large amount of information, both qualitative and quantitative, to back up your claims. I mean because unexamined, biased, bigoted, claims are soooo not for you. Cuzz you'd have to be a dumby to have an unexamined belief, no?

Old 06-01-2007, 12:51 PM

485 posts, read 1,648,382 times
Has anyone else noticed that for the past few days the name of the starter of this thread was Lindsey59. Today all of a sudden the name is sous777. I've seen posts from both of these names throughout the forum. Is this one person posing as two? I know we are allowed to change our screen name, but over and over again every few days?

Old 06-01-2007, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
Has anyone else noticed that for the past few days the name of the starter of this thread was Lindsey59. Today all of a sudden the name is sous777. I've seen posts from both of these names throughout the forum. Is this one person posing as two? I know we are allowed to change our screen name, but over and over again every few days?
Under Sous's name it says "not a member" now. I just checked it.

Old 06-01-2007, 01:04 PM

8,954 posts, read 4,271,330 times
They were the same person, eventually we closed their accounts for trolling.

Old 06-01-2007, 01:07 PM

boy people sure are creative (sneaky) around here

Old 06-01-2007, 01:17 PM

485 posts, read 1,648,382 times
I agree with you spunky. It makes a lot of the information, from a specific thread you might remember that was locked, seem mute. It made it look like the poster was getting lots of support when in fact that poster was supporting themself.

Thank you Marka for clarifying that for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies