Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe homosexuality is a choice?
Yes. 40 19.23%
No. 126 60.58%
I believe it is due to a combination of factors. 40 19.23%
I'm undecided. 2 0.96%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 01:28 PM

431 posts, read 392,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sous777 View Post
After reading the many debates on this forum and in political and religious venues, I think it's time for a poll. Many of you have seen both sides of the argument, and I am curious where the city-data community stands on the issue.
100% choice....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 01:33 PM

2,971 posts, read 2,251,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
I agree with you spunky. It makes a lot of the information, from a specific thread you might remember that was locked, seem mute. It made it look like the poster was getting lots of support when in fact that poster was supporting themself.

Thank you Marka for clarifying that for me.
Yeah, Sous and Lindsay agreeing with each other! That happened on another thread recently where there were 3 names to one person and they were saying things like, "I agree 100% with so and so." Too funny! But they are, "no longer a member" now too!

Old 06-01-2007, 01:56 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,444,006 times
Okay, y'all have a good eye, but can we get back on topic?

Old 06-01-2007, 03:04 PM

20,260 posts, read 19,847,317 times
I have no idea. I know I wouldn't choose it.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:12 PM

592 posts, read 2,806,082 times
This is a really tough thing to answer. Personally, I've been a lesbian trapped in a man's body since about the age of 12. Having admitted that, I've only known about a dozen gay folks in my life, all of which I have an understanding with. We've all agreed to disagree that it isn't any of my business what their preferences are (and YES, they all use the word PREFERENCE) and it isn't any of their business what mine are. Once we got over that hurdle, there was a lot of discussion which led me to conclude that my gay friends have all had horrific experiences in their lives that caused them to seek alternative lifestyles early in life. Just a comment on my experiences from conversations with my friends that choose their own path....

Old 06-01-2007, 05:06 PM

9,882 posts, read 10,799,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
I agree with you spunky. It makes a lot of the information, from a specific thread you might remember that was locked, seem mute. It made it look like the poster was getting lots of support when in fact that poster was supporting themself.

Thank you Marka for clarifying that for me.
Yes indeed, I believe I was banned because of posts on that heart wrenching thread, I wonder how many times I was infracted by the same person!

Old 06-01-2007, 05:25 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,833,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaneyland View Post
This is a really tough thing to answer. Personally, I've been a lesbian trapped in a man's body since about the age of 12. Having admitted that, I've only known about a dozen gay folks in my life, all of which I have an understanding with. We've all agreed to disagree that it isn't any of my business what their preferences are (and YES, they all use the word PREFERENCE) and it isn't any of their business what mine are. Once we got over that hurdle, there was a lot of discussion which led me to conclude that my gay friends have all had horrific experiences in their lives that caused them to seek alternative lifestyles early in life. Just a comment on my experiences from conversations with my friends that choose their own path....
And in my experiences, growing up in San Francisco & having as many (if not more) gay friends as straight, they were all that way since puberty or earlier... and none that I know of were "traumatized" into being gay. So it goes to show you, we can't generalize an entire population based on our personal observations/experiences - or by "studying" one tiny group of people.

Old 06-02-2007, 05:34 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,775,504 times
Why do people even ask that question?

What two consenting adults decide to do in private with each other is none of anyone's business as long as it doesn't hurt third parties who don't wish to be part of the activity.

This is another case of religious zealots poking their long noses into stuff that they should butt out of (or is "butting out" considered sodomy in the Bible belt?).

Everyday, millions of Americans engage in heterosexual oral and anal sex. That includes a lot of conservatives, by the way. Conservatives are also big on S&M, according to studies. Yet, I don't hear of conservatives fighting this anal sex trend, probably because they are sexually repressed on the one hand and would have trouble discussing it on tv without it being heavily censored on the other. So they go after gays because they are a "them" that can be used as fund raising tool even though rational decent people would just as soon not be preoccuppied with what others do in private spaces.

I mean really, chill out and pay attention to making your own life better than to what two girls or guys are doing in private.

Old 06-02-2007, 05:38 PM

485 posts, read 1,646,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobE View Post
Why do people even ask that question?

This is another case of religious zealots poking their long noses into stuff that they should butt out of (or is "butting out" considered sodomy in the Bible belt?).
It wasn't a religious zealot that asked the question in this thread. It was a mother who has a homosexual daughter(if what she says is true) and has been trolling on this forum trying to get arguments started.

Old 06-29-2007, 04:31 PM

12 posts, read 30,499 times
We believe what we want too. In order to feel better about ourselves we tell ourselves anything to feel better and to make the days easier to get through. Being gay is a choice... Read Leviticus 18;22-23 in your Bible it's clear and to the point the Lord says it's a abomination and we can't change that into anything other then what it clearly states. The Lord gave us free will, and he did not created us to condemn us at birth so we know we was not born gay... Remember what our Lord says and not what others say no one can get you into Heaven, no more then your good deeds will.Only through being born again and excepting Jesus as our savior and doing all we can to turn from all sin, God knows we will always be sinners. He shows us our sins and then we are to repent and sin no more. God created Eva for Adam and not Steve for Adam. And he said womankind and Mankind shall become one flesh. So when we are face with trails and heart aches it's our duty as Christians to hang on the every word of the Lord our God. He said he would not leave us nor forsake us and if we have the faith of a mustard seed we could move mountains. So instead of excepting that your love one is gay, get into the word of the Lord and pray and ask Him to delivery that love one from that way of living the Lord said as children of his our prayers will be answered and if our children stray they would come back if we believe and stand in our faith. We can't change the Lord's words to make things ok, and we all know that. No sin is greater then any other sin, and I don't believe that the world turns a blind eye to Murders,Rapest,Child Abusers that's crazy to think so. Being Gay is a subject that people get defended about, because when we as Christians know the Lords word, and then you have those that change it around to make it something to fit your belief that's way it's such a debate, but the Lord does not want us to debate His word He clearly said not to argue his word. I heard someone say that it's ok to be gay because the Lord does not mention Lesbian or homosexual in the Bible, but you tell me what this is saying in Leviticus 18;22-23 Thou shalt not lie with mankind as with womankind it is abomination. Neither shalt thou lie with any beast to defile thyself there with, neither shall any women stand before a beast to lie down there to it's confusion. If we heard of someone lying with an animal, Everyone would be talking about it, the gays and head of sexual, would they not? We would all be angry and disgusted because we know it's not natural and it's a sin. The Lord says Thou shalt not lie with mankind as with womankind or with beast,well the Lord speaks plain about both of these in the same verse. The Lord knows we can't stop loving our children for the way they chose to live, as he has not stop loving us. But He would expect us not to except it either as being ok as a way of living, we need to trust in the Lord and turn to the Lord and claim his blessing and know our prayers will be answer and our loved ones can be delivery from this sinful way of living and the Lord forgives all sins except one. And that blaspheme against the Holy Sprit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies