Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 04:19 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
When do you think we will "get" Bin Laden. I don't think he's alive.
I think he's alive, and I think this is the year we'll get him. The noose is really starting to tighten now that we've refocused on what was JOB ONE all along, i.e., Afghanistan, Al Queda and the Taliban.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:27 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Here is a REALLY good piece, from a counter-terrorism expert at the USMA in West Point, NY.

This guy gives many excellent reasons why this latest event is truly major.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:27 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Baradar is the most senior Afghan Taliban leader arrested since the beginning of the Afghan war in 2001 following the Sept. 11 terror attacks in the United States.
His capture represents a significant success for the administration of President Barack Obama, which has vowed to kill or seize Taliban and al-Qaida leaders in Afghanistan and Pakistan. It follows the ramping up of CIA missile strikes against militant targets along the border between the two countries that have reportedly killed many midlevel commanders.

Taliban's Top Commander Caught In Pakistan : NPR
How come the Obama administration has done more to defeat the Taliban in Afghanistan and al Qaeda in Pakistan in the past year than Bush could in the previous seven years? According to the commando who had bin Laden in his sights in Tora Bora, the mission to kill bin Laden was called off at the highest levels. Did Bush want to win this war? Or, did he need to keep a boogie man out there to justify invading Iraq?
Elite Officer Recalls Bin Laden Hunt - 60 Minutes - CBS News
Your questions were of course rhetorical, but I cannot resist. Obama has not started a war with another country and ignored Afghanistan. Just think about all of the young lives of soldiers that could have been spared, not to mention the soldiers left cripppled or disabled because of Bush's Iraq invasion. They are making positive strides in Afghnaistan and this might have been done eight years earlier, if not for Bush/Cheney Crime Family's evil agenda. Strange that Cheney still has the gonads to go public and bash Obama's policies regarding Afghanistan. I hope this makes him eat his pacemaker out. He doth protest too much!

Last edited by sickofnyc; 02-16-2010 at 04:36 PM..

Old 02-16-2010, 05:32 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Hey Right Wingers! Isn't this great news? Are you too busy celebrating to post your comments of approval? Or do you secretly wish that Obama would fail at this also?

Old 02-16-2010, 05:45 PM

805 posts, read 773,940 times
Ho - hum! Big Whup!
Like give all the credit to the procrastinator-in-chief Oblahblah! roflmao

That must have been what he was doing when his double was vacationing and golfing in Hawaii!!!

Like... totally.... Mission Impossible... fer shure !!!

Old 02-16-2010, 05:48 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
"The left" was fully behind Bush after 9/11 and fully supported the war in Afghanistan, including the operations in Pakistan. Then Bush took his eye off the ball and went off to Iraq - leaving us defeated in Afghanistan/Pakistan. Thankfully we now have a President who is willing to win this war and then bring our guys home.
My thoughts exactly.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:53 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtinChicago View Post
Ho - hum! Big Whup!
Like give all the credit to the procrastinator-in-chief Oblahblah! roflmao

That must have been what he was doing when his double was vacationing and golfing in Hawaii!!!

Like... totally.... Mission Impossible... fer shure !!!
Sorry you are not happy about this. I am also sorry that Bush did not accomplish this under his clock.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:26 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Just got this from the NY Times.

A secret joint US-PAK intelligence operation in Karachi, Pakistan has captured the top Taliban military leader. I find the jointness of the operation to be of notable value. Seems that between the drone attacks and pushing hard on the Pakistani government that we are killing or capturing a lot of top level players in Al Queda and the Taliban. I'm hopeful that we'll get Bin Laden this year, sooner the better. If we had focused on this front in the war on terror, and not Iraq, we'd be done and out of Afghanistan by now.

Excerpt:

- The commander, Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar, is an Afghan described by American officials as the most significant Taliban figure to be detained since the American-led war in Afghanistan started more than eight years ago. He ranks second in influence only to Mullah Muhammad Omar...
Yet the GOP cries that Obama isn't taking terrorism seriously....go figure.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:48 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,957,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Hey Right Wingers! Isn't this great news? Are you too busy celebrating to post your comments of approval? Or do you secretly wish that Obama would fail at this also?
Although not exactly a "right-winger", I am more conservative in my politics, and am not an Obama supporter overall, and will field this. Obama's focus and surge in Afghanistan is the reason for this victory, and should be heralded as such. This is a big deal folks. Our military intelligence combined with that of Pakistan has captured one of our main targets, which will confuse and malign the Taliban and Al-Quaida. I am reluctant to admit that the Pakistanis were not as willing to negotiate and cooperate with us under Bush? Of all of the blunderings and overspendings and overpromisings that I believe Obama has provided, can we not give him his due here? This is reason to celebrate!

Old 02-16-2010, 07:51 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Although not exactly a "right-winger", I am more conservative in my politics, and am not an Obama supporter overall, and will field this. Obama's focus and surge in Afghanistan is the reason for this victory, and should be heralded as such. This is a big deal folks. Our military intelligence combined with that of Pakistan has captured one of our main targets, which will confuse and malign the Taliban and Al-Quaida. I am reluctant to admit that the Pakistanis were not as willing to negotiate and cooperate with us under Bush? Of all of the blunderings and overspendings and overpromisings that I believe Obama has provided, can we not give him his due here? This is reason to celebrate!
Seems as if we are. Interestng that I haven't seen any devout Obama bashers on this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies