Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 03:36 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,041,562 times

Advertisements

How can the party of no and their admirers defend this especially during the worst economic period since the Great Depression.

"Most of the stimulus spending so far has gone to state and local governments to plug holes in their schools, Medicaid and unemployment-benefits budgets. Spending on infrastructure projects is expected to pick up in 2010."

Last edited by kovert; 02-16-2010 at 04:00 PM..

Old 02-16-2010, 03:50 PM

23,870 posts, read 24,099,797 times
"We have to pass it NOW! We can't wait! If we do, the world will end!"

Translation:

"We have to pass it NOW! We can't wait! If we do, the people will see that it's all just a big pork bill!"

Old 02-16-2010, 03:54 PM

88,980 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Their constituents are forced to pay taxes to pay for it. Why wouldn't their elected representatives try to get some of their constituent taxpayers' money back to fund needed projects in their state?

If you wanted those who voted 'no' to not get stimulus funding for their states, perhaps it would have been better if the bill's language had opted the taxpayers in their states out of the responsibility for paying for the stimulus bill, as well. A full opt out, if you will...

Old 02-16-2010, 03:57 PM

40 posts, read 36,854 times
zingzang likes InformedConsent's post.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
"We have to pass it NOW! We can't wait! If we do, the world will end!"
Translation:
"We have to pass it NOW! We can't wait! If we do, the people will see that it's all just a big pork bill!"
Wow that's just how I remember Junior and Paulie back in 2008, remember?

Old 02-16-2010, 04:00 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,300,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zingzang View Post
zingzang likes InformedConsent's post.
So does Fleet!

Old 02-16-2010, 04:01 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,090,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
How can the party of no and their admirers defend this especially during worts economic period since the Great Depression.

"Most of the stimulus spending so far has gone to state and local governments to plug holes in their schools, Medicaid and unemployment-benefits budgets. Spending on infrastructure projects is expected to pick up in 2010."
So what you confirmed is that the stimulus spending was a PORK bill, and not a jobs bill. Thanks for confirming the accuracy of the Republicans again...

As for how we can say "no".. lets do the math.. Take from the taxpayers, to give to the states, so they can spend =... MORE TAXES, MORE DEFICITS.. And you think "NO" was the wrong stance on an issue that you admit had nothing to do with jobs?

As an individual who does not pay federal taxes, I'm more than willing to pay more to the state and local governments to cover expenses that we feel worthy to pay for. Washington has no right or obligation to tell me what our state or local governments should fund, and you sure in the hell shouldnt have to pay for MY local projects..

Old 02-16-2010, 04:08 PM

23,870 posts, read 24,099,797 times
Oh wait, the Republicans are the "party of no" the OP was referring to?

I thought it was the Democrats - you know, the party that had the filibuster-proof supermajority in the senate and still couldn't get anything passed. Talk about "party of no"... more like "party of nothing"...

Old 02-16-2010, 04:12 PM

11,339 posts, read 16,695,644 times
Anytime the Gov't rushes to pass a bill, a big red flag should go up.

Whether it's being pushed by either party.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
So what you confirmed is that the stimulus spending was a PORK bill, and not a jobs bill. Thanks for confirming the accuracy of the Republicans again...

As for how we can say "no".. lets do the math.. Take from the taxpayers, to give to the states, so they can spend =... MORE TAXES, MORE DEFICITS.. And you think "NO" was the wrong stance on an issue that you admit had nothing to do with jobs..

As an individual who does not pay federal taxes, I'm more than willing to pay more to the state and local governments to cover expenses that we feel worthy to pay for. Washington has no right or obligation to tell me what our state or local governments should fund, and you sure in the hell shouldnt have to pay for MY local projects..
More taxes== more deficits??!! What else should I expect from a guy that thinks he knows more than Alan Greenspan and the CBO and can't admit his own hypocrisy.

1st off deficit is the yearly amount of gov.'s spending more than it takes in revenue. Debt is the accumulation of deficits over years. Taxes REDUCE the debt not increase it genius.

And 2ndly it was the GOPers who opposed and shouted against the stimulus in the 1st place that WENT to the federal gov. pleading for the funds ever so discreetly.

What an Einstein.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies