Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 07:35 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Free use of roads is like a commie nation.
Everything should be privatized, including roads.
Again , that is the problem we had in the early 1900s. Putting together a network of highways , seamless travel , just won't work when Big Business controls it. We have 50 State regulators now , and they all fight over revenue. The National Highway System should be a federal thing , all the way , just like national defence of the Nation....they go together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 07:39 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,281,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Free use of roads is like a commie nation.
Everything should be privatized, including roads.
The roads were paid with taxpayer dollars. That's actually less commie than a bailed out corporation trying to get them privatized.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:43 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverOne View Post
This is at the bottom of the page, but the whole article is a good read........

"All Roads Lead to Goldman Sachs" by Rob Kirby, FSU Editorial 02/16/2010

“Yes, large Wall Street investment banks, led by Goldman, started advising states across the nation on how to raise fast money by diverting the most necessary publicly owned assets—roads—into private ownership,” wrote Wallace. “You have to admit, it’s brilliant, because it’s a forced and guaranteed market: Americans can’t get out of driving.”

“Road charging,” as it is called in England, is widespread, he told AFP, as fiber optic cable has been laid along most English roads to help track vehicle travel by the mile so drivers can be charged.

“It has been on the European Union agenda for quite a long time,”
Sounds like an excellent way to shoot the economy even further down the drain. Hey, lets divert even more expendable money into the gov't coffers. And those in rural areas are going to get hit hard by this kind of crap. Awful idea.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:45 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
It's been on Rick Perry's agenda here in Texas for years too. Every new freeway is a toll road, which leads me to ask just what the hell they're doing with the tax dollars I send to TXDOT already.And don't EVEN get me started on Perry's grant TTC (Trans-Texas Corridor) scheme!
I'm a 100% with you on this.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:12 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
It's been on Rick Perry's agenda here in Texas for years too. Every new freeway is a toll road, which leads me to ask just what the hell they're doing with the tax dollars I send to TXDOT already.And don't EVEN get me started on Perry's grant TTC (Trans-Texas Corridor) scheme!
HI-WAY not free way

hi ways are toll roads.... freeways are toll free

just for your info

Old 02-17-2010, 12:45 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times
We have many highways around here that are not tolled. Both the highways and freeways are 'free'.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:51 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
We already pay by the mile with our fuel taxes. I strongly object to private ownership of ANY transportation facilites. GS is BS.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:50 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
We already pay by the mile with our fuel taxes. I strongly object to private ownership of ANY transportation facilities. GS is BS.
I guess we do not pay enough...and , our gas tax goes to general revenue to fund pet projects , and foreign wars. Pay as you go is fine m, but lets make it equal, all the way.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:36 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,948,047 times
Default it's not a Wall Street thing

The Vehicle Milage Tax (VMT) has been bounced around a few times since the Dems won the majority in Congress. It caught major traction after Obama won the election but was quickly shot down.

Gov. Ted Kulongoski (D) and the Oregon Dept of Transporation held some trials of a VMT during 2007 and released a report on ii ~Dec 08. You can read a little more about it here: Kulongoski to pursue mileage tax

Massachesetts Gov. Deval Patrick (D) tried a similiar initiative.

C.L. "Butch" Otter, a Republican from Idaho, floated the idea too.

Colorado actually passed legislation. But as I understand it, it is an alternative to the gas tax there.

It was Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood (RINO) who brought this tax to the national stage during Q1 last year. And to Obama's credit, he quickly nixed and distanced himself from it: LaHood's talk of mileage tax nixed

Last edited by mossomo; 02-17-2010 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: wrong link

Old 02-17-2010, 03:57 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Evenually as gas taxes don't cover the cost of roadways we will have to go to a user mileage and weight payment system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies