Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 08:18 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

I've been on a jury one time and have never been called back again yet and it's been 20 years ago.

News, Fewer People Willing to Miss Work to Sit on Juries

With unemployment topping 10 percent and many existing jobs precarious, fewer people are willing to miss work for jury duty, court watchers say.

Jury consultants and courtroom administrators report the ongoing recession is causing more potential jurors, especially ones facing long trials, to try to opt out by filing hardship claims, according to The Los Angeles Times.

Fewer People Willing to Miss Work to Sit on Juries -- Politics Daily
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 08:51 PM

694 posts, read 1,233,241 times
There are priorities in life, and survival pretty much holds the top position with citizenship duties lower on that list.

However if you would be the reason for the jury assembly, you would very much like others to be more involved with their civic duties.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:48 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Since I support myself on part-time work, I could not afford the loss in pay for jury duty. That would be an undue hardship financially.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:55 PM

426 posts, read 1,282,699 times
Default Jury duty

I am 47 and have lived in the same county all that time. I have been called FOUR TIMES. I got out of it the first time, went the second time, got out the next and now am currently waiting to be called.
It has'nt even been three years since the last time. I live in a fairly populated area, and I know people who have never been called, and I get it four times.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:58 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,156 times
That's not new news. There has always been a problem getting people to serve on juries.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:01 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I've been on a jury one time and have never been called back again yet and it's been 20 years ago.

With unemployment topping 10 percent and many existing jobs precarious, fewer people are willing to miss work for jury duty, court watchers say.

Jury consultants and courtroom administrators report the ongoing recession is causing more potential jurors, especially ones facing long trials, to try to opt out by filing hardship claims, according to The Los Angeles Times.

I have been on 2 juries in my lifetime, both of them in federal court. I do hope to be in more federal juries again in my lifetime. I love also applying the Constitution and Bill of Rights towards trials even if the prosecutor doesnt.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:23 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
I get pegged for jury duty nearly every year, although most of the time I don't even have to go to the courthouse because my specific group isn't summoned (that's how it works in Riverside County).

What I've never understood is the pay rate. They should at least pay people minimum wage. Instead, it's something like $10 for the day, which is insane.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:00 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
I have co workers who brag about getting out of jury duty. Others, myself included, just show up and do our civic duty. I think its a combination of selfishness and the economy if you don't want to serve. If you really can't afford to miss a days work, then you are in some serious financial trouble. But most likely you can and just don't want to.
It is a pain, particularly if work nights or you lose one day off and have to adjust your plans. I sat and listened to a littany of excuses by potential jurors and the court officials seem to be more reluctant to exclude people. They keep you there and make you present the reasons why you can't serve. And the old stand bys of saying" I hate cops, or I am racist or I am crazy" have to be expounded on. After hearing some of these people say some pretty embarassing things, I felt sorry for many of them and probably agreed they shouldn't be on juries.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:30 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

Juries are full of idiots. Smart lawyers dismiss anyone with any education or common sense anyway, so it has become a waste of time. A "jury of your peers" no longer exists, as you will sit before the unemployed, poorly educated, and unitiated of society.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:34 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,487,771 times
AS a newcomer to USA,I am curious...

Are not the jurors paid,as a compensation to their loss of income ?

If so,then the system should pay them ...the double of what they earn per day...as stated in their tax return...

If one makes 3K/month,some $ 130/day,he should be paid $260/day...

The money can come from fees,whatever...

Then,everybody is happy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies