Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2010, 09:30 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,439,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
The human race has zero chance of dying out.

If people spent more time taking care of the kids that were here already instead of focusing on only having their own children, we'd be in a better place than we are today.

If everyone never had children again we WOULD die out. And perhaps if everyone would just take care of the children THEY HAD we would be in a much better place and I would not be preached at by people like you to taker care of other peoples children. Don't have kids if you can't take care of them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 10:35 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Lenny Kravitz is the name of the cat that is sleeping on my desk but won't let me touch him.

I kill plants, no way I'd have an animal of my own.
I travel too much.
Currently researching liveaboard diving for early March.
I can't take an animal or plant on this trip.
Pets aren't the topic of conversation here, to paraphrase you when you responded to someone who talked about enjoying time with their kids. Perhaps it's a hatred of children in general that is the reason why you choose not to have kids. You attack one person who speaks favorably about having kids saying it's not the topic of discussion and then you change the discussion to pets.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:40 PM

My wife and I don't have kids together because of her disability. I did have a daughter with my ex-wife and our daughter was planned, not an accident. She wasn't a pet, she wasn't a showpiece nor a trophy. Honestly, many of you here are really coming off as hating children and suprisingly, most of those who do so are the more liberal members here. Perhaps the question should have been reversed. How many parents have received dirty looks or nasty remarks for having children? I posted one example from the San Francisco newspaper. It appears from remarks like "breeders" that some here harbor resentment and hatred for people who choose to have kids.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:50 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,572,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
My wife and I don't have kids together because of her disability. I did have a daughter with my ex-wife and our daughter was planned, not an accident. She wasn't a pet, she wasn't a showpiece nor a trophy. Honestly, many of you here are really coming off as hating children and suprisingly, most of those who do so are the more liberal members here. Perhaps the question should have been reversed. How many parents have received dirty looks or nasty remarks for having children? I posted one example from the San Francisco newspaper. It appears from remarks like "breeders" that some here harbor resentment and hatred for people who choose to have kids.
Some people like having kids. Some people dont like having kids. Simple as that. Who cares?

I love lil kids until they get cranky. Then I give them back.

If you have your own question, go start your own thread.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:54 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,056,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I only use that term when someone belittles the childfree or tend to ask me some bingo questions.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:58 PM

47 posts, read 199,792 times
I don't want kids
I just wanna have fun without responsibility
And growin up wit 4 brothers makes me not wanna have to deal wit financial issues or responsility a kid would give me
Noones ever said anything to me bout it

Old 02-17-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I only use that term when someone belittles the childfree or tend to ask me some bingo questions.
For several years after we got married, people regularly asked us when we were going to have children. Instead of getting angry or insulting, I told them the truth,...that it would be medically dangerous for my wife to carry a baby to term because of her spinal condition. Those who know us stopped asking. I don't insult their choice to have kids.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:06 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
What if the person loves dogs but doesn't want any?
They're very smart.

Quote:
So you think people who never want children are child abusers for the most part?
Where do you come up with this comment from the post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carterstamp
Maybe if people who shouldn't have kids choose not to, we could avoid most child abuse.
Your statement is not even remotely related to Carterstamp's statement.
____
For those coming into this thread with tales of their lovely children and hijacking attempts:
breeder bingo (http://http://7deadlysinners.typepad.com/sinners/2006/04/breeder_bingo_c.html - broken link)

Old 02-17-2010, 11:38 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
I feel that if a couple chooses not to want children, that should be there business. I have different kinds of friends, those with children, and those without. I have friends with children, that i sometimes wonder to myself, why they even had children, and i have friends without children that are extremely happy. The world is a very big place, and People are very different in there wants and needs. Some couples i know have a very full and rich life without children, and friends that do have children, also have a full rich life. It is to eaches own. Too many people make something whoop ti do aobut other people, when they really should worry about there own family and life. Life is too short to worry about what other people should or should not be doing. I think you can have a rich life without children, in a different way then those that have children. At least some that know they don't want children, don't have them. I know some couples that have children, i don't know why they never spend time with them, or do anything with them. Not all parents i understand this, but some yes.You can have a very rich full life with children and without them. I don't think anyone should really look down on someone that does not want children. Just take a look at all the children born, who are not wanted, and at the hands of some of there own parents, are murdered. Young Moms. So we should not pass judgement.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:08 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,336,999 times
I don't frown on people who don't want kids. If someone doesn't want children, they should never have to feel like they need to have kids from society. People should totally live the lives they want, with as many people in their family as they want.

Here is a quesiton for debate though.....

Should people who chose not to have kids pay a higher tax rate? After all, they don't contribute any future tax payers, placing a huge burden on the system as they age into retirement. With fewer and fewer youth, the growing and growing elderly population needs funds to pay for retirement homes and health care. Why should people who raised eight children pay an equal amount in taxes for the elderly as a couple down the street who lived a -double income no kids- lifestyle.

Note- I myself will probably have no children. I would love to have many, but certain circumstances will probably insure that never happens outside of adoption. I am not opposed to paying higher taxes to support the elderly because I know that, near the end of my life, I will be a burden on the few youth that America has left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies