Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2011, 11:42 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,143,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Parents, children, and teenagers always assume that people who never want children are child phobics. They're viewed as selfish, immature, irresponsible, and that no one wants to mate with them. For some reason, people are always asking singles "Why don't you have kids" or "Do you want kids"

If I've ever received harassment from parents, it would usually be from mothers or women who want kids. But I've gotten criticism from some men too.

What's wrong with people who never want kids? What is the perfect answer to "Why don't you want children" or "Do you have them"?
I look down on people who have children with NO thought as to whether they like them or not....

A.NOT EVERYONE is a good parent. Not everyone is INTERESTED in raising children(sadly some of these are parents!)

B. Anyone who says they love ALL children gives them NO respect as individuals....and ALL children are NOT likeable.

C. Being selfish is doing what you want...NOTHING wrong with that if it hurts no one else. PARENTS include children in their selfishness...WITHOUT asking them!

D. Humans are N O T animals (or shouldn't act like them). They should THINK before they commit to a lifetime commitment. Praise to the SMART ones who do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 12:00 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,143,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I'm not sure. Maybe because being a parent requires a person to be selfless most of the time... I don't know why that is the impression I get.
So a person decides to do what they want(definition of selfish) and have children...and they didn't SELFISHLY do what THEY wanted?

THEIR selfishness included innocent bystanders(children, who never asked to be born).

Child free people are ALSO volunteers, volunteer caregivers, philanthropists, are in loving generous relationships, aid extended family........ pretty narrow minded to think that ONLY parents aren't selfish.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:08 AM

2 posts, read 2,104 times
I've never understood how not having kids was selfish of me. Did the parents around me decide to be noble and have a child for the greater good or something like that? I don't think so. They're just not selfish because they're devoting all their time and energy to a single human being. Whereas I have time to contribute to the community, volunteer, and help lots of people. Who's selfish again?
If anyone is interested, I found a really funny childfree blog at babyoffboard.com

Last edited by Regattare; 03-27-2012 at 07:09 AM.. Reason: Link looks terrible....

Old 03-27-2012, 08:38 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,764 times
No, I am actually happy they gave some thought as to whether or not they are cut out for parenthood.

Too many people buy into the belief that if I am not married by a certain age and don't hurry up and have kids, then I am worthless. I think that is awful. In my hometown, if you are not married by the age of 20, you are looked down upon. Well, welfare use is rampant, teen pregnancy is rampant in my hometown, and I see tons of kids who are going to grow up to be thugs because they have no real guidance. Many girls in my high school class started having kids at 14 and their lives are miserable.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:52 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,145,755 times
No, but I do look down on people who look down on others for want children. And don't try to say that doesn't happen because it does. Stay out of my personal life and ill stay out of yours.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:04 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
No children and none expected. We do seem to collect horary nieces and nephews to pay attention to.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:06 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
I don't look down on anyone just because they choose not to have children.

But there are some childfree people who need severe attitude ajustments.
And there are people with children who need severe attitude adjustments as well. I saw it many times as a teacher. There are some parents out there who want nothing to do with their children. Some men just make babies and walk out. Women just get themselves knocked up for the purpose of receiving a welfare check.

I get sick of people in my hometown looking down on me because I am 31, not married, and don't have kids. It is my life and I want to wait to meet the right guy and get married before I have children. Many of the people who look down on me have started having kids at 14, have no education, have had multiple divorces, and use the welfare system. I think that having kids before you are ready or just simply don't want them is incredibly selfish.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:19 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,435,602 times
The world is over populated. All of our Social issues are caused by too many people around. Why would I want to propagate the problem by adding more people into the mix?

Old 03-27-2012, 09:20 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,105,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Parents, children, and teenagers always assume that people who never want children are child phobics. They're viewed as selfish, immature, irresponsible, and that no one wants to mate with them. For some reason, people are always asking singles "Why don't you have kids" or "Do you want kids"

If I've ever received harassment from parents, it would usually be from mothers or women who want kids. But I've gotten criticism from some men too.

What's wrong with people who never want kids? What is the perfect answer to "Why don't you want children" or "Do you have them"?

No, I didn't want mine...(j/k)

Having or not having kids is a personal choice.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:23 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,491,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I'm a bit wary of this subject being here.

In any case, scr*w those who have an opinion about whether or not you want kids. It's your life, not theirs. Life is too short to be concerned about whether others approve of your decisions.
Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies