Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 10:24 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Not everyone goes to college and most people who do go drop out anyway. That's why I'm not going to set up a college fund for my future kids. It's kind of a waste of time and money for most people as well. However I would set up a wedding fund for my daughters, they're much more likely to get married than get a college degree.
A. You think marriage is better than being educated? Don't think much of your daughters...

B. If they're old enough and financially secure enough to get married they should pay for it themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 10:31 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Yes. It's an incredibly selfish thing to not want children. Everyone except for the mentally insane, the criminals, deviants and Neurotics should have children. As another poster put, I've also noticed that those who voluntarily refused to have children are more selfish and immature than those who do become parents. They'd rather have all the free time they want as well as the most fancy things."""

YUP! HA HA!!! I got 'em!!!

"""That's selfish."""

And LOVELY!

"""It's a sad thing they think all of these materialistic objects are more important and valuable than a loving family. But that's a sign of the selfish mentality of me, me, me that so many people today possess. It's also a sigh of declining morals."""

Not having children is 'declining morals" ?!? What? There's NO logic in that at all.

"""Having children also keeps the world running,"""

if no one or very few people had children, """

You HONESTLY think that would happen....you got some good mushrooms or what?

""we would start to die off. We're also biologically""

Biology is NOT destiny. try to control yourself...

driven to have children, so I believe it may be even be a mental disorder to not want children.
Thinking that a few people not breeding will decimate the population of the earth is a mental illness.
Having children for the sole purpose of filling the earth...your children must just BASK in the love...

Old 04-08-2012, 10:36 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,321,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
A. You think marriage is better than being educated? Don't think much of your daughters...

B. If they're old enough and financially secure enough to get married they should pay for it themselves.
Haven't you seen the statistics? Not even the majority of people in the "educated" NE areas of Massachusetts and Connecticut have a college degree.

But a college degree is just a piece of paper. There are people who don't have a college degree who are very educated and those who have one and aren't very bright people. What about all the college grads who are left with thousands in debt and still without a job? The ones I know who haven't gone to college have actually done better and are more ahead than the ones who did go to college.

College education doesn't always = intelligence.

Statistically speaking, only about a third of the population over 25 has a college degree. Something like a third to half of all students who enter college as freshmen drop out by their sophomore year. So why put so much emphasis on something when most people don't even go through with it? It's great if you do, but it's not for everyone. But I'm not going to automatically view someone more favorably because they have a piece of paper. However, nearly everyone gets married.

Last edited by 90sman; 04-08-2012 at 10:45 AM..

Old 04-08-2012, 10:40 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times
Having children is a lot of responsibility, if people chose not to that's their right. I don't look down on those that decide not to. Heck, when my kids were running around crazy and I was taking them back and forth to activities, I envied those parents who didn't have to play the "Taxi Mom"
I had my kids and always many others.

Whoever said we were all to have children, for some it's just not in their plan and that's

Old 04-08-2012, 10:47 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,035 times
No.

It is none of my business.

http://files.meetup.com/967138/breeder_bingo.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-08-2012, 11:02 AM

51 posts, read 52,939 times
I admire anybody who choses not to have kids. And I say this as a parent and somebody that loves children. It is an incredible responsibility to raise them correctly. So in that regard I completely admire anybody who may decide or be unsure of their ability to execute such a large undertaking. I look down on those that have children and 1. Dont support them 2. Dont accept the responsibility and are horrific parents. For those that chose not to have kids dont burden society and others, the latter often does when their kids grow up to be welfare queens, entitlement spoiled brats, or a combination thereof!

Old 04-08-2012, 11:08 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Parents, children, and teenagers always assume that people who never want children are child phobics. They're viewed as selfish, immature, irresponsible, and that no one wants to mate with them. For some reason, people are always asking singles "Why don't you have kids" or "Do you want kids"

If I've ever received harassment from parents, it would usually be from mothers or women who want kids. But I've gotten criticism from some men too.

What's wrong with people who never want kids? What is the perfect answer to "Why don't you want children" or "Do you have them"?
I am one of those who doesn't and never has wanted kids and I get asked this all the time...but it's usually, "What's wrong with you? Why don't you want to have kids? You hate kids?"

No, I do not hate kids.

In a sense, yes I am selfish. I'm selfish with my time, I don't want to give up my time to raising a child but I think that I'm not selfish in that I realize that and don't ruin a kid's life because of it.

What I want to know is why they are so concerned with my reproductive choices.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I do look down on those that try to give parenting advice when they do not have nor do they want kids. I work with someone like this.
But that would be the only reason I would ever look down on someone for this very personal choice.
Just because someone doesn't want nor has kids does not mean they have not ever helped raise a kid.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:05 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
The only real wealth you will have in life are children..the rest is superficial. What I see is that people who have never had kids are children still.....Those who experience parenthood mature into real adults..Look at a 40 year old career woman with no kids...she thinks and sometimes acts like a teenager...Those that do not want kids...do he world a favor...once they die..their lineage and mentality will die with them....THESE types who are the products of a thousand generations are in a way commit generational suicide...by ending their genetic lineage...by not reproducing and in part re-placing them selves....looks like they did not respect their parents....
I had two sons that I love dearly. But that doesn't mean that other kinds of love are superficial. Sorry but I have several pets that belong to one of my sons who passed away a couple years ago. What I feel when I hold them is DEFINITELY not superficial. And I don't think you can call the millions of childfree people who own and love their animals superficial either. Human life isn't the only life that counts, my friend.

Quote:
Yes. It's an incredibly selfish thing to not want children. Everyone except for the mentally insane, the criminals, deviants and Neurotics should have children. As another poster put, I've also noticed that those who voluntarily refused to have children are more selfish and immature than those who do become parents. They'd rather have all the free time they want as well as the most fancy things. That's selfish. It's a sad thing they think all of these materialistic objects are more important and valuable than a loving family. But that's a sign of the selfish mentality of me, me, me that so many people today possess. It's also a sigh of declining morals.

Having children also keeps the world running, if no one or very few people had children, we would start to die off. We're also biologically driven to have children, so I believe it may be even be a mental disorder to not want children.
As for the bolded---you say that like it's a bad thing. Human beings have trashed this planet beyond belief. All the animal species that have been driven out of their habitats in order to build cookie cutter McMansions would be quite happy for us to die off, I'm sure. And who could blame them ?

To the second part I bolded---All animals are biologically driven to have children. The difference with the human species as we have the CHOICE & the BRAINS to think whether that would be a good thing for ourselves or not. As to the mental disorder part---I would think mindlessly breeding (ala Duggars, the illegals, OctoVagina etc) would indicate where the REAL mental disorder lies. Just maybe, ya think ?

As I said before..I had two sons. One is not here today and I don't think I will ever recover from losing him. But you know what ? even If I had known beforehand that I would lose him at 20 I still would have had him because I had those 20 years with him and that was 20 years of his wonderful sense of humor & fun.

You can bet your ass that I would never insist on those who don't want kids having them. Because to me that means they will never face the heartbreak that I and millions of parents do.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
No.

It is none of my business.

Oooh! BINGO! Under the B column. What do I win?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies