Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 06:17 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,205,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkins Well View Post
I prefer to be a DINK (double income, no kids) and don't give a flying f... what anyone says.
And to be truthful, no one else gives a fly f....what you do either. Every time this type of thread gets started on CD, it turns from a supposed "innocent question" about being "child-free" to a child-bashing thread.

Let me say this: for people who are so assured of their life's choices, there is a lot of focus on what other people think and the subsequent need to bash those who have children or bash children in general. Frankly, it's a lot of ado about nothing...unless there is really "something" there. Just chill out!!! Geez, life is too short as is. For people not giving a flying f to what other people think, they sure give a lot of attention to the subject. Suspicious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 06:23 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,082,223 times
My husband and I have decided we are not having children. Ever.

We don't want children; isn't that good enough of a reason?

I hate when people make comments like "when you start your family...". Or when they ask "how many kids are you going to have?" or some equally presumptuous question and I tell them "none", they continue on with "why not?". Even if I tell them I don't want children, they will continue berating me with questions about my choice. It's MY CHOICE. It's gotten to the point where I no longer argue with these people.

I have had people gasp at me, I have people question my reproductive and mental abilities, I have had people say stupid things like "what kind of a woman are you?" and "don't you know God thinks that's wrong of you?". What century are we in again?

Bashing people who have children? I've never witnessed that. I have witnessed plenty of child-free bashing, though (calling people who are child-less terms like 'selfish', 'immature', and so forth).

Old 02-17-2010, 06:25 AM

1,629 posts, read 3,477,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
No, some people should NOT be parents, I respect those that realize they are not cut out for parenthood.
It's not about being "cut out" for parenthood.

I'm a trained counselor for at-risk students. I know more about raising kids than most parents do.

The fact is, both my boyfriend and I like kids TOO MUCH to bring more into the world.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
My wife and I are over 60. And we are giving some serious thought to adopting a child or children - and due to our ages, they would have to be older kids. Our primary focus is to give stability to a young person - a young person who, due to circumstances beyond their control, have not been in a healthy living environment.
Adopters are heroes!

Breeders just selfishly want to promote their own genetics.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:32 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
And to be truthful, no one else gives a fly f....what you do either. Every time this type of thread gets started on CD, it turns from a supposed "innocent question" about being "child-free" to a child-bashing thread.

Let me say this: for people who are so assured of their life's choices, there is a lot of focus on what other people think and the subsequent need to bash those who have children or bash children in general. Frankly, it's a lot of ado about nothing...unless there is really "something" there. Just chill out!!! Geez, life is too short as is. For people not giving a flying f to what other people think, they sure give a lot of attention to the subject. Suspicious.
It seems that "society" always wants to decide for us what we can and cannot do. If your religion opposes seeking medical treatment, and your child needs it, "society" wants to demand that your child have it. If you lock your child in his room at night, and have the windows nailed shut, "society" looks upon that as imprisonment. If you walk on by while someone else is getting beaten, "society" seems to think you're just an awful person.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you. If it isn't any of my business, then it isn't any of my business, and I want nothing to do with it. I just hate people telling me that that attitude stinks.

Last edited by TKramar; 02-17-2010 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-17-2010, 06:33 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Parents, children, and teenagers always assume that people who never want children are child phobics. They're viewed as selfish, immature, irresponsible, and that no one wants to mate with them. For some reason, people are always asking singles "Why don't you have kids" or "Do you want kids"

If I've ever received harassment from parents, it would usually be from mothers or women who want kids. But I've gotten criticism from some men too.

What's wrong with people who never want kids? What is the perfect answer to "Why don't you want children" or "Do you have them"?
There is no perfect answer. I have no children and it was not my choice, but I am used to the questions. You could always say "none of your business" and it would be an honest answer.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:41 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,228,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
Adopters are heroes!

Breeders just selfishly want to promote their own genetics.

Here is an example of parents being bashed in case you have never seen it

Old 02-17-2010, 06:46 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
I have had people gasp at me, I have people question my reproductive and mental abilities, I have had people say stupid things like "what kind of a woman are you?" and "don't you know God thinks that's wrong of you?". What century are we in again?
As 1/2 of a childfree couple in our 40's, my wife has never mentioned this happening to her nor have I witnessed anything like this. Maybe people are keeping their feelings to themselves or maybe they don't care.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
Here is an example of parents being bashed in case you have never seen it
Oh really? Then what is your argument against adopting children that need loving homes?

Why bring new life into the world when so many lives are devoid of basic needs and love?

Why add people to an already overpopulated world?

Why is YOUR SPERM more important than existing life, which will endure abuse and neglect because they were forced into this world out of guilt as opposed to any real desire for offspring?

Old 02-17-2010, 07:16 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,228,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
Oh really? Then what is your argument against adopting children that need loving homes?

Why bring new life into the world when so many lives are devoid of basic needs and love?

Why add people to an already overpopulated world?

Why is YOUR SPERM more important than existing life, which will endure abuse and neglect because they were forced into this world out of guilt as opposed to any real desire for offspring?
I have no argument against adopting children that need loving homes. I never said I did.

If parents who want and can have children stopped, then the world would be entirely composed of families raising other people's children.

Many years ago, I considered not having children. A good friend of mine who is the head of the ACLU in a midwestern state, gay and ferociously liberal told me that I owe it to society to have children because they will certainly be of the character to make a positive contribution.

See above in regard to my SPERM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies