Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should "In God We Trust" be removed from U.S. currency?
Yes 103 36.79%
No 156 55.71%
No opinion 21 7.50%
Voters: 280. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 01:25 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,224,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
If you believe in a separation of Church and State, or that religious symbols should be kept off of government property, shouldn't "In God We Trust" be removed from our currency?
We could make it in lava pool we trust

Old 02-23-2010, 01:27 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,825,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
No it should not, this is a majority Christian nation and those who think it should be removed will just have to get over it.
what he said.................

Old 02-23-2010, 01:55 PM

680 posts, read 1,384,129 times
If the USA became a majority atheist nation, would it then be OK to change the Pledge of Allegiance to say "One nation, under the rule of rationality, free from religious superstition" instead of "One nation under God"?

To believe in the tyranny of the majority is to defy everything this nation was founded upon. I don't really care what my money says but I do object to the attempt by Christians to define my country as a "Christian" nation. If you truly want strict majority rule then may your God help you when it comes your turn to be in the minority on an issue.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:24 PM

921 posts, read 1,132,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
No it should not, this is a majority Christian nation and those who think it should be removed will just have to get over it.

I agree with you.

It should not be removed from the US currency.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:34 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,991,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
If you believe in a separation of Church and State, or that religious symbols should be kept off of government property, shouldn't "In God We Trust" be removed from our currency?

One of the 10 Commandments says one should not take the Lord God's name in vain. US Currency is no longer backed by the the faith and trust of the US government. It's just a piece of paper a Federal Reserve Note.
Now what would God think of having his name attached to the worlds greated Ponzi scheme.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:19 PM

580 posts, read 1,081,870 times
To be perfectly honest, I could care less about what my dollar bill says, so long as it can still buy me lunch during the day.

However, just to throw in my two cents: Yes, this is a majority Christian nation, as in most of the population is Christian. However, this country is not officially a Christian nation! The First Amendment declares that all people have the right to believe in whatever they want; however, it also declares that no one national religion be established. Thus, the US is in fact a secular nation. I do believe in a separation of Church and State, so I believe that any religious references should be taken off federal reserve notes, out of schools, off of federal buildings, I think "under God" should be struck out of the Pledge of Allegiance, etc. If somebody wants to worship the Christian God and go to Church, then they should be allowed to. But I don't like the idea of "In God We Trust" going on our money.

"In Gold We Trust" maybe...

Old 02-23-2010, 08:34 PM

438 posts, read 947,143 times
IMHO....the majority of people in the nation "claim" to be Christian, but...talk is cheap. I doubt most people could discuss theology too deeply or provide anything but simplistic/immature explanations of the workings of their religion/why they believe.
Well, I am generalizing. At least, this is my experience with many folks in the Bible Belt. People can give the spiel about Jesus dying on the cross and wiping away sins, yadda yadda blood of the lamb! But they haven't really thought about it.
Anyway. I don't really care what the money says. Does it affect daily life? No. Does it speak for me? Negative. Does anybody actually pay attention to what's written on a coin unless it's being brought up in controversy? Nope. Is it a pointless and unnecessary gesture? I think so...

Old 02-21-2011, 08:16 PM

29 posts, read 53,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureBrennanDad View Post
I do not believe in a total seperation of church and state, to the point that someone's beliefs will still be their beliefs whether they are elected to political office or not. So since Christians are still the majority in America we should still have God on our money, I also feel that He should be in our government buildings, schools, and everywhere else. If there are people who disagree with me it is OK since this is America and they have the right to. But do not force me to give Him up because it offends you (you also have the right to find a country that represents your views).
I do believe that is one of the most narrow-minded mindsets ever. This great country was founded as a way for everyone's views, as long as they don't cause anybody harm. I'll agree that Christians are in the majority, but aren't there ways to respect the ways of the millions of others that aren't Christians. Theoretically, if you were to put up Christian symbols in public places, you'd legally have to put up symbols of every other belief. I am personally an agnostic and live close to where the Boy Scout Jamboree is held, on Federal land where it should not be held. But that's for a different forum.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:18 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I would like to see it removed because I do not "trust" "god" in any way shape or form. Anything that creates Charlie Manson and the Haitian earthquake cannot be trusted.
Scary, this is more than once I've had to give you rep points!

Old 02-21-2011, 08:19 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
If there is a God, does anyone actually believe this God wants to be associated with money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies