Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should "In God We Trust" be removed from U.S. currency?
Yes 103 36.79%
No 156 55.71%
No opinion 21 7.50%
Voters: 280. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 11:13 AM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
If you believe in a separation of Church and State, or that religious symbols should be kept off of government property, shouldn't "In God We Trust" be removed from our currency?
I'd like to see it removed but it isn't high on my priority list. Religion is attempting to remove the wall of separation in other ways that deserve more attention... in my opinion.

Americans United for the Separation of Church and State
http://www.au.org/

Our Issues | Americans United

Old 02-17-2010, 12:38 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
I'm not religious yet it doesn't bother me. I don't see it written on my debit card anywhere.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:05 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,103,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Damn right I can.

1) There is no PROOF of a God. And no, I dont could your experience of prayer or whatever as 'proof'. It has to be able to be proven right by EVERYONE. If my socks are white, NO ONE in the world can debate that.

2) Not all people believe in God. So who is in part of the "we trust"?

3) It is a way of Christians thinking they're all that. Why not write "In Buddha we trust" or "In Allah we trust"? Oh can you see how fanatic the religious right would go?

4) The Bible is not a valid source of information. It was written back in the day. It did not fall out of the sky to be Gods word. Who wrote? People who were guided by the Holy Spirit? Ok. Who or what was the Holy Spirit? Did it come down here and guide the men who wrote it? Or did they hear voices in their heads? You know what we call people who hear and see things today, right? Psychotic.

5) We need to rely more on logic and fact over folklore and religious fables.

6) It would be no different if we wrote "In Peter Pan we trust". There is no more evidence of God existing than Peter Pan.

7) While we are at it, why not restore the Pledge back to its original version before it was HIJACKED by religious people?
"“I pledge allegiance to my flag and the republic for which it stands: one nation indivisible with liberty and justice for all.”

I could go on......
1) As far as "in Buddah" and "in Allah" we trust... they can write that on their Chinese and Middle eastern currencies

2) Not everyone does believe in God, however most do

The rest of the points are not worth responding to especially #5 given the fact that most of the Left uses fear and hate NOT logic in their arguments (see any Dem politician)

Old 02-17-2010, 02:22 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
3) It is a way of Christians thinking they're all that. Why not write "In Buddha we trust" or "In Allah we trust"? Oh can you see how fanatic the religious right would go?
Let ask this - is Buddha a "God"? Is Allah a "God". Before answering, I would suggest you look up the different meanings for the word "God"

Quote:
4) The Bible is not a valid source of information. It was written back in the day.......
If the Bible is not a valid source of information, then why is it used as a reference during debates on proposed new laws - it is you know.

And why do we "swear or affirm" with a hand on the Bible (as Obama did during the Inauguration)

And why are the 10 Commandments referenced on the walls of the United States Supreme Court?

And one more thing: Could you try not to be so hostile in your responses? While you may not agree with those you are in a discussion with - that isn't any reason for the hostility your posts spew -

Thanks

Oh - I almost forgot. You referenced your socks - and said If my socks are white, NO ONE in the world can debate that - well, that's not exactly true. If the person you were speaking with was color blind, they may very well be able to "debate that" with you!

Old 02-17-2010, 03:30 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Let ask this - is Buddha a "God"? Is Allah a "God". Before answering, I would suggest you look up the different meanings for the word "God"
Oh I know Allah means God but can you imagine if it said Allah instead of God. LOL

How about in Guru Nanak we Trust? He rocks.

Quote:
If the Bible is not a valid source of information, then why is it used as a reference during debates on proposed new laws - it is you know.

And why do we "swear or affirm" with a hand on the Bible (as Obama did during the Inauguration)

And why are the 10 Commandments referenced on the walls of the United States Supreme Court?
Because this country is brainwashed by religion. It is a very sad fact. The fact that some people even consider the Bible a source is sad. There is no way to prove the Bible is real. As I said before. What do we call people now who hear voices or see things? Mentally unstable.

We NEED to stop replying on ANY religious text to make laws or whatever. Not just the Bible but EVERY religious thing and just look at the facts and reason. The Bible and other religious texts? All fairy tales. It is just as valid as Beauty and The Beast and Peter Pan.
Quote:
And one more thing: Could you try not to be so hostile in your responses? While you may not agree with those you are in a discussion with - that isn't any reason for the hostility your posts spew -
Thanks
Sorry if the truth hurts. It sounds hostile when some people cannot stand it.
Quote:
Oh - I almost forgot. You referenced your socks - and said If my socks are white, NO ONE in the world can debate that - well, that's not exactly true. If the person you were speaking with was color blind, they may very well be able to "debate that" with you!
Oh crap. You got me there. AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! LOL LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
1) As far as "in Buddah" and "in Allah" we trust... they can write that on their Chinese and Middle eastern currencies

2) Not everyone does believe in God, however most do

The rest of the points are not worth responding to especially #5 given the fact that most of the Left uses fear and hate NOT logic in their arguments (see any Dem politician)
Whats the matter boy? Couldnt prove how god is more real than Peter Pan? Is that why it is not worth replying too?

God=Peter Pan.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
We NEED to stop replying on ANY religious text to make laws or whatever. Not just the Bible but EVERY religious thing and just look at the facts and reason. The Bible and other religious texts? All fairy tales. It is just as valid as Beauty and The Beast and Peter Pan.
The bolded portion - what does it mean? Honestly, and at the risk of incurring your wrath, that is one of the more IMMATURE STATEMENTS you have made in quite some time.

I have to tell you - if you are desirous of trying to change the mind of adults - people who have had far more experiences than you have had - or might ever have (like being in a war), you have to at least TRY to sound somewhat mature. The portion I BOLDED blew that to hell and back - "whatever". Did you know that a recent INTERNATIONAL survey was released regarding certain words and phrases - and the word "whatever" is listed, internationally, and in the United States, as THE most childish word or phrase to be used.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
The bolded portion - what does it mean? Honestly, and at the risk of incurring your wrath, that is one of the more IMMATURE STATEMENTS you have made in quite some time.

I have to tell you - if you are desirous of trying to change the mind of adults - people who have had far more experiences than you have had - or might ever have (like being in a war), you have to at least TRY to sound somewhat mature. The portion I BOLDED blew that to hell and back - "whatever". Did you know that a recent INTERNATIONAL survey was released regarding certain words and phrases - and the word "whatever" is listed, internationally, and in the United States, as THE most childish word or phrase to be used.

Uh....ok........

I wrote "religion or whatever" because that is all it is. A whatever. Nothign of importance. Zip. Zilch. Nada.I think you need to look through this forum some more. There are A LOT more thing that immature aside from "Whatever".

Why the heck would I try to change the mind of adults who are so delusional that they believe in religion? I have no desire to change your mind.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Uh....ok........

I wrote "religion or whatever" because that is all it is. A whatever. Nothign of importance. .
Ah - you ALSO wrote stop replying on ANY

"Stop Replying"?? What's that all about?

Old 02-17-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Ah - you ALSO wrote stop replying on ANY

"Stop Replying"?? What's that all about?
Sorry. I meant relying. Stop relying on the Bible and other religious text.

My bad. Been at school all day.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:55 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Don't care either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies